Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Toyota speakers are weak

I have been working on upgrading the stereo in my truck, 08 Toyota Tundra. I originally just wanted to add a subwoofer to the OEM stereo but carried away and now replacing just about everything from OEM to aftermarket. I have the basic OEM stereo in my truck, Toyota did have an upgraded system as an option when new.

The stock speakers are plastic framed, and paper coned. My old (1997) stock OEM Ford stuff felt/seemed better.

Im adding a Pioneer CD/DVD Headunit. JL Audio 5 channel amp. Polk Audio MM series speaking in the doors. Later getting the JL Audio subwoofer (after the credit card recovers). And of course the needed wiring. Toyota also required adapter plates to convert odd sizes and spacing to work with the aftermarket.

Attached a comparison pic.
    Photo01181415.jpgPhoto01181416.jpgPhoto01181416_1.jpg
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

You must be a boat owner the way you get carried away with your projects. Gonna sound a heckuva lot better. I don't even want to look at what's in my Suburban. It's so bad I don't even turn it on or stick to sports radio on AM.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

my Tundra came with the JBL stereo, I added the JL Stealth box and an amp and it officially pounds, good quality sound. Ive always had good luck with the upgraded stereo and then adding the amp and Sub (always JL Stealth box)
    06 Mobius LS

wow - it looks like the cones are made from recycled paper grocery bags
    I think you'll be able to tell a difference fo sho!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

That should be sounding a lot better. When i got Black Betty Brian from Exile went to the lake with us in the rig one day and on the way to the lake hes like, this stereo doesnt sound to bad at all for stock.

Then we spent all day on the boat, on the ride home hes like Dude this trucks stereo sucks man, you can be rocking in the boat all day then get into this truck and listen to this crap LOL. So i upgraded the entire truck.

Now in Serenity, she has the Audiophile upgrade, factory seperates in all the doors and a factory sub. Actually sounds really nice and had decent bass. i havnt spent any time in Fierah this year cranking her stereo so im happy with the truck LOL. But i do have a full set of Exile seperates for all the doors, plus my 12inch shallow sub in a ported box to install in the truck. Just need a new amp since i couldnt take the amp from Betty when i traded her in.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by FargoDawg View Post
    my Tundra came with the JBL stereo, I added the JL Stealth box and an amp and it officially pounds, good quality sound. Ive always had good luck with the upgraded stereo and then adding the amp and Sub (always JL Stealth box)
    Do you have a d-cab or a CrewMax? I have been thinking about the stealthbox for my CrewMax but haven't heard it before. For $700 I want to be sure! Right now my 2 Memphis 10's pound but I'm looking for more sound quality in my coming rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

I've looked at the stealth boxes several times but just can't pull the trigger bc I want to know if it sounds as good as its price tag. I'm willing to pay for it being hidden but I also want some bass. Never heard one before but kinda want one.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

I know that I am going with the JL stealthbox in my Double cab. I have no experience with the stealthbox, but have read on other forums that other people have been very happy with the box with the exception of the price. I used to have a MTX Thunderform box in a standard cab ranger when I was younger, single 10" sub. It was high priced too but well worth the space savings.

Hopefully the UPS man comes tomorrow as scheduled with some more goodies for me. Hoping to have this project finished by the end of the weekend. With the exception of the sub, that will have to wait a bit.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

I run a type of stealth box in my truck, or i did in Betty, its sitting by the boat trailer now LOL.

They are pretty decent i think, you need to add some batting to them and then its really up to the speaker you chosse. I use the Rockford Phosgate shallow mount 12. The JL shallow 12 is the cats meow but pricy. Or you can get the JL 13inch but its harder to mount as its a custom cut most of the time.

I run 1K watts and it pounds, i used a sealed one first time and i liked it but it wasnt as good as im used to so i had a ported box made and its awesome.

Youd think owning a F350 crewcab, the biggest cab on the market cept the Crew Max from Dode there would be room for a sub out of the way but theres not. Theres hardly any room behind the rear seat LOL. I can get you some pics of you want but the stealth boxes are nice its all about the batting, shallow mount woofer, and amp combos
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I have the Crewmax, the stealth (if I remember right) is a 12.25 inch. I have had 4 previous stealth enclosures, none have dissappointed. the sound is truely optimized based on the enclosure, painfully obvious in a tahoe that I had with the 10" stealth box in the center console that was a downfiring right off the floor that rocked, and took up minimal room compared to the, differnt frequency, dual 12s in the rear in a giant box. well worth the extra $ in every truck Ive had them in
    06 Mobius LS