Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'd make sure your head unit is absolutely bad. It could cut off because of the way it is wired now. I say this because I still have my factory 06 Kenwood headunit and it works fine, especially if you are using an ipod. Plus, it is a few hundred you can save.

You mentioned wakeboard range sound ... if wake sound is your goal; I'd have to say prioritize your tower. I haven't dug into prices much lately but Kicker makes a 4 speaker hlcd setup that might fit the bill. I'd also look for pics of boats with two tower speakers and strongly consider starting there and building a platform for future upgrades. As far as in boat, amping your current speakers should make a dramatic difference and might be a place you could save money for a year.

I'd decide where you ultimately want your tower to be. Are you the type that will want to upgrade again? Many here can attest to upgrading multiple times and having spent more in the end than if they had done it big the first time. I know I'm one of them.

Are you considering used speakers? There are likely some deals to be had there over the winter. WS 485's are the first to come to mind.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Ive looked at the Polk DB651 and that may be the best option. Kicker also has some good prices and i know from car experience that they arent a waste. Any suggestions for tower cans if i use the polks for the tower. Do you know if the Aerial bar that has the led lights and 4 speakers good-to-go attach to your tower is any good. I dont want to waste the cash on something cheap ill have to replace.. Its on google shopping at $599 which sounds risky to me

for anyone else asking: i dont know the cause of the receiver stopping, pausing and not working consistently, but REGARDLESS, I want to buy a new receiver with AUX input
    2006 Mobius LS
    Liquid Force Harley, Liquid Force Watson

Quote Originally Posted by CarsonDean View Post
    Budget is going to try to stay under $1500.

Priority: 4 Tower Speakers, Wakeboard range (will probably self install with general car audio knowledge) and i dont need a ridiculous bass. Just a 10" sub that will vibrate you, not bump your eardrums out.

I dont know the # i will have to look. The kenwood has a CD port for 1, and no aux input. and hardly works
    Dean,

If you are looking for audible music at wake-board range, then traditional coax speakers like the Polk DB are not going to get it done. They will not handle the power required to achieve this. You need to consider larger hi-power handling coax or an HLCD (horn loaded compression driver) type speaker. If you have a 4-pod setup currently, the Kicker KM6500.2 Component HLCDs can be a direct replacement. If you do not have pods, these can be purchased with Kicker pods so you can still have that 4-pod setup you are interested in.

Yes, I agree. The Polk dB651s are fine for a value proposition in the boat. But it is a short term solution for the tower as two pair will reach wake range but are definitely being over-driven to do so. One pair of HLCDs or one pair of 8-inch true tower speakers are much stronger.

David

DIY Wake has kicker speakers for reasonable prices.
    2006 Mobius LS
    Liquid Force Harley, Liquid Force Watson

Quote Originally Posted by CarsonDean View Post
    DIY Wake has kicker speakers for reasonable prices.
    Go Polk they sound better IMHO for the cabin speakers. Best bang for the buck and sound great.
    http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-6-5...rds=polk+db651
    Last edited by jmvotto; 10-24-2012 at 10:38 PM.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

For gosh sake, make sure you have a decent local lab to measure the power output of any amp you like before you buy it too. You can't be too careful there.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Which Kicker speakers are you looking at? The HLCD package that MLA mentioned should accomplish the goal of getting sound at the end of the rope.

My experience: My first go around I went with Bullet coaxials and pushed 150 watts to each speaker (600 total). I could hear the music at the end of the line but you weren't really able to "listen". I stuffed a speaker into a factory can. I'd suspect one of the coaxial products that has the speaker and pod built as one (especially an 8") would be a little louder (ex: exile sx, ws icon, etc). I think I'm trying to build a tier .. In general, your tower options in order of loudest at end of line:

Large HLCD: Exile XM9 and Wetsounds Rev series
    Small HLCD: Exile XM7 probably a notch above the Kicker setup
    Podded Coax: Exile SX, JL, WS Icon series, does kicker have a pod?
    Premuim Coax: Polk MM, Bullet, WS, Exile, JL, the list goes on (typically can handle 100+ rms)
    Standard Coax: Polk DB, Kicker factory stuff
    Older Factory: Most of the older factory skiers choice stuff was pretty bad.

That should summarize most of the forum consensus (i think?). Others will chime in if not. I'm sure I left off some brands but those are most of what is discussed on here.

There is no doubt that amped Polk DB are a big step from factory setup and they sound great. I'm not trying to take anything away from them at all. It's just asking them to do alot in a tower application.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

I'll throw my .02 regarding the inboat speakers. I have had:

Factory Kenwoods
    Polk DB 651
    Exile w/ post mounted Tweeter
    Exile latest design with Grill mounted Tweeter
    I Installed the JL Audio MX650-CCX into a friends boat.

My currents are the latest Exile with the grill mounted tweeter, and IMO they sound fantastic. I don't see me swapping them anytime soon. The JL I installed in a buddies boat, however, sound absolutely amazing. They were installed in a boat without a tower and just blew me away. You want to talk about crisp, clean, pure music....these things delivered in a HUGE way.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Small HLCD: Exile XM7 probably a notch above the Kicker setup
    I respectfully disagree from both a performance and quality standpoint.

Quality: In 4 years, Ive only have one KM6500 mid-bass driver failure, yet in a two year period, ive had to replace under warranty all but two pairs of XM7 that I sold/installed. Blown drivers and surrounds separating from the cones were the most common reason.

Performance: The XM7 is a traditional 6.5" HLCD, so it has the horn through the center of the cone. This reduces the cone surface area, thus reducing the mid-bass contribution. This is the case with any 6.5" HLCD, but the XM7 is assembled with off the shelf parts (the manufacturers description, not mine), and the horn and cross-over are a brutally aggressive package. The Kicker KM6500.2 uses 2 dedicated 6.5" continuous-cone mid-bass drivers and two large HLCD horns. This component approach delivers more mid-bass. The horns and cross-over network is also far less aggressive with those tones that make our ears hurt, yet lose nothing in terms of projection. They have a very pleasing, warm sound when listening near-field, as compared to other 6.5" HLCD's.

But as I always state, demoing the potential choices is key. Seek out your local installer and ask them about the products. They have experience with many different products and can explain the similarities and differences.

Yes, Kicker offers a pair of single pods as well as a double pod setup. You can load them with the KM6500.2 HLCD setup or something like the KM6200 coax.

Kicker also offers what some would consider a premium in-boat. The KM6250.2 component set offers a 6.5" built from the ground up marine woofer and 1.0" tweeter. The cross-over can be mounted separately or to the back of the magnet. The terminals are tinned, stainless steel hardware is included. The magnet is sealed and insulated so it will not interfere with electronics when helm mounted. UV inhibitor in the materials for sun protection. power handling is 75W rms and 225W peak, so they will perform well with a little amplified power and shine if you pour the coals to them. If someone is considering a hi-end speaker, these are worth a look.

Uber Premium: Wet Sounds XS/SW 808 8" convertible in-boat.

The Rev-10 is a 10" HLCD in a pod thats about the size of the old Pro-80 or XM9. The Rev-8 is an 8" HLCD like the XM-9 and is in a pod thats about the same size as the Pro-60 or XM7.

The Exile SX65 is a 6.5" tower coax and the Wet Sounds Icon-8 is an 8" tower coax in a pod thats about the same size as the SX65.