Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Maxing outback v wakeboarding

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    I agree that 25+ mph sounds like its flying.

Wax, have you put a GPS to that speed? It sounds like you also run rear heavy, maybe forcing you to ride that fast? I'd bet you could slow the speed down if you added some weight to the bow.

I know each boat is different but our boat is typically setup at 23 - 24 mph with 2300 - 2700 lbs. Riding between 75 and 80 ft. Typically, the more weight and line length, the more speed needed.

Here are 2 examples of 80 ft and 24'ish mph
    Kg, I really like the look of your wake at 24 and 80'!

Sent from my fourth replacement Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 4...
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

I'd def try getting some more bow weight. Closer to a 50/50 ratio. That should let you slow it down.

Do yall not land way out in the flats?
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

I have noticed with my 21v the more weight you add the faster the boat has to run in order to get a clean wake.
    also the longer the rope the faster you have to run to get the wake clean up at the distance you are riding.
    I was taught to weight my boat then run it with no wakeboarder pick the speed and rope lenth that i think is comfortable than adjust based on this.

you want to cross the wake around 2' infront of where the white wash starts on your wake.

If you are crossing in the white wash and do not want to go faster or shorten your rope you have to much wight. Speeding up and slowing down will change where the white wash is forming on the wake.

On my 21v I run around 600 to 700 lb in each rear compartment (1200 to 1400 in the back) front center bag 1200 lb plus an extra 600 in the nose. weight like this i have to run a minimum of 23.6 mph. (The wake is huge at this speed and weight and is most likely more than i really need but there's a couple of guys in my riding group that absolutely kills it like this)

(This setup is good with 4 people total in the boat. we change the amount of water weight depending on the amount of passangers we have in the boat also.)

We like to ride at 24 mph with a 65' rope plus 5' handle.
    We start playing a little bit with riding at 70' plus a 5' handle but we have to speed up to 25.4 mph.

Some people say it is stupid and waste gas by weighting a boat like this. I can do all my trick with no weight in the boat and less speed but I do not think it look as good and in my mind i think it feels better.
    Last edited by wolff supra21v; 09-19-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    2007 supra 21v

Quote Originally Posted by wolff supra21v View Post
    Some people say it is stupid and waste gas by weighting a boat like this. I can do all my trick with no weight in the boat and less speed but I do not think it look as good and in my mind i think it feels better.
    Who in the world is even concerned with gas mileage while wakeboarding???? LOL!

G23 is a very different beast, you can get a better wake by going slower, the hull is designed that way...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Wax my favorite setup for the lsv was all 3 stock 400 bags full, a 750 in the bow and a 750 in the main cabin seating area. I'd run at 24.2 at 65ft with the wake play all the way up.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

In my 02 I run a strictly bow weight. Locker full then a 400 on top of the front seats, wake plate all the way up. It damn near swamps the nose coming off of plane actually you half to roll out of it. Usually there are 4 in the cabin. I still need to load up the rear a bit to try it but I am running out of summer quickly. Oh and I ride at 22.5 at 70 feet.

See this thread for my wake.
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?22885-Inverts
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Quote Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
    In my 02 I run a strictly bow weight. Locker full then a 400 on top of the front seats, wake plate all the way up. It damn near swamps the nose coming off of plane actually you half to roll out of it. Usually there are 4 in the cabin. I still need to load up the rear a bit to try it but I am running out of summer quickly. Oh and I ride at 22.5 at 70 feet.

See this thread for my wake.
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?22885-Inverts
    Mark, you do pretty well for having such a shallow, sorry and not very big, wake. No offense, I'm actually impressed with that tantrum on that wake, it looked good. Don't think I could have done it on that wake. Get some weight in the back of that boat man! Not very much pop it doesn't seem...but you look good nonetheless!

As far as the speed differences, first thing to check is if the speedo is accurate and calibrate it if not. I usually ride at 22 or so. Over 23 feels too fast for me. It appears that most pros (not including Lyman and Vandall) ride around 24. For me, I am more concerned with the wake shape than the speed.

Also, as mentioned, SC boats seem to like bow weight. Although, this may be an illusion. Follow me here: For example, if a boat is loaded 50/50 and runs say 1200#, the wake may be great. However, add 4 people into the mix, and that is another 600-700#, and most of the time they sit in the back (not the bow). All of a sudden, the boat is closer to 35/65, running ass heavy, not planing out, and not holding speed very well. One of my buddies has an interesting approach to this phenomenon. He will fill up his bow and belly sacs, and them add weight to the rear until he gets the wake where he wants it, depending on now many folks are in the boat.

wolffsupra21v is right on with his remarks. The more weight, the faster the boat MUST go to have clean wake. I have also read that the line length should be set so that the rider hits the wake right in front of the curl/wash. That is where the wake will be the steepest.

I have mentioned this before, but technique is the biggest factor. Mine sucks, but guys that are much better than me have landed nice 3s, big tantrums, perfect HS backrolls, and even raleys behind my boat running less than 1000# of ballast.
    Last edited by NCSUmoomba; 09-19-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUmoomba View Post

I have mentioned this before, but technique is the biggest factor. Mine sucks, but guys that are much better than me have landed nice 3s, big tantrums, perfect HS backrolls, and even raleys behind my boat running less than 1000# of ballast.
    100% agree. Like I mentioned before, my buddy and I learned our backrolls (along with other non invert tricks) behind my 17' I/O without a tower. It's honestly just improving your technique, and then figure out what works best for you. As you can see, nobody rides the same speed or setup. It's all what feels best to you.

Personally, after hearing how everybody else rides soooooo sloooooow, lol, I will play with slowing it down and see how I like it. Who knows, maybe I don't need to ride as fast behind this lsv as I did behind my Supra.

Sent from my fourth replacement Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 4...