Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Seems unlikely as he says the Fuel Pump is running and is getting 9psi (which seems high). I'm thinking you have a stuck float that is not allowing fuel to refill the bowl quick enough, so the 90 seconds it's running is the time it's taking to empty whats in the bowl after it has time to slowly refill. This would suggest why you're seeing the gas pressure on the high end; restriction INTO the carb.
    Take the fuel rail of the car and check to make sure it's not blocked and then remove the bowls and check the floats and the vales in there for gum and dirt blocking it up.
    Forgot to include the original reply from Stasi.

True, but how long is the fuel pump running? It could be running until the pressure switch takes it out. I would not rule out a faulty oil pressure switch. Check the oil pressure gauge while idling and see what it does when you throttle up and see if it drops. All of the symptoms sound the same as mine did and turned out to be the pressure switch. The pressure switch is not expensive and easy to change.
    2014 MOJO 345 Surf - Sold
    2005 Mobius LSV, carb - Sold

you can certainly disconnect the house that's going to your fuel pump, then put the hose into a 2 gallon gas can with good gas. That will eliminate anything downstream (gas tank issues and the like).

Also don't forget to spray carb cleaner and lube on the outer arms and linkages of the carb. Those can get gummed up.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Oh, and when mine was sputtering and dying on me, I reset the screws on my carb to the default. IIRC, I think that's all the way in and 1.5 turns back out for my Holley
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Sorry Stazi for not clarifying. My wife's cousin has a fuel pump pressure gauge and we took the line off where it attaches to the fuel rail and then started cranking the engine over (with the garden hose attached of course), thats how we got the 9 psi reading... i did take the fuel rail off completely and blow it out with an airline and there were no obstructions. The little brass filters in between the fuel rail and the carb were replaced as well.

Badfoot -- the oil pressure gauge comes up like normal and actually increases some as i increase the throttle, and since i can have the engine run a 3000 rpm for that 90 seconds it shouldn't be the sensor now? the sensor wouldn't allow the rpm to get that hi if i'm understanding you right? Since the pressure switch is not expensive i have got one coming as well. gonna have a lot of new parts on this engine if this keeps up lol!
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Yeah, it's definitely a fuel issue. When you crank it it neutral to full throttle, you're using the accelerator pump in the carb to give it a good squirt of gas. That's what it's running on for those 90secs.

The carb is definitely at fault, if in fact you are getting fuel from the pump. Does you fuel rail have a pressure gauge on it and that's how you said it was seeing 9psi, earlier?

Did you remove the fuel rail from the bowls and inspect as I suggested?
    If the engine is off when i go neutral to full throttle does it still squirt fuel? Wouldn't the engine need to be running to make that happen.

This just got me thinking... i'm wondering if my vent line from the fuel cap to the tank isn't at fault.... could it be starving for air? and after the engine shuts down it gets air slowly back in and allow it to run again... the fact that the time frame really doesn't change even when it is running at different RPM settings really confuses me. Does this make sense at all?

Default Re: 05LSV starts then sputters and dies....

The oil guage and switch are totally different things.. Check the oil pressure switch..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    The oil guage and switch are totally different things.. Check the oil pressure switch..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    working on it.. I have one coming.. should be here tomorrow

from Muh droid .....

Quote Originally Posted by Badfoot View Post
    True, but how long is the fuel pump running? It could be running until the pressure switch takes it out. I would not rule out a faulty oil pressure switch. Check the oil pressure gauge while idling and see what it does when you throttle up and see if it drops. All of the symptoms sound the same as mine did and turned out to be the pressure switch. The pressure switch is not expensive and easy to change.
    where abouts is the pressure switch?

from Muh droid .....

SUCCESS!!!!!!! it was the pressure switch. I jumped it to see if that was the cause and it runs like a swiss watch. 90 seconds after pulling the jumper wire off it started to sputter. put the wire back on and sat there with it idling for 20 minutes and drank several beer in celebration!!! thanks for the help gentlemen!!! and we leave on holidays friday morning!! I learned a lot about that engine by all this trial amd error which is great to.

from Muh droid .....

badfoot, stasi, parrothd & trayson thanks so much for your replies!!! you easily saved me a 1000 $!!! 2 hour pull to the dealer 135/hour at the dealer and a 2 hour pull home. you guys saved me a lot of pesos!!!

Wahoo!

from Muh droid .....