Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2006 Modius LSV stock ballast full cannot get over 9mph

I have a 2006 Moomba Mobius when I fill the stock bags completely full in the rear lockers and in the front deck with the boat will only go 9 mph.
    If we empty the bags is a little bit I can get a little over 10 and get a great wave for surfing with anybody recommend what I need to do to get a better to get higher speed preferably around 10.5 with more weight. I was thinking maybe a new prop. Any thoughts?

You will definitely want to look into a new prop. Call Acme, or Nettles. They can tell you what would work best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kurt
    2019 Supra SL 550
    2016 Mojo - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV -Sold

Something is wrong here... There were several "stock" props, but even with our "stock" prop and GIII balast system full, we had no problem getting up to wakeboarding speeds (and at higher altitude ~5500'). We only ran into trouble with bigger ballast bags. We couldn't get up to wakeboarding speeds but I think we could still get to surfing speeds. Putting on a new prop fixed it. Sometimes if we're loaded, it struggles to get over 12mph and on plane without a little help from the wakeplate and shifting a person or two to the front.

How much passenger weight is in the boat? How long have you had the boat? Have you noticed a change in performance?
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

My 06 with 750s in the rear, stock floor and 750 IBS was struggling last Summer but it was more around 10 with 4-5 people in it. Changed the prop to an ACME 1617 and upgraded the rear bags to 910s and no issues what so ever this year. Jumps out of the water and we surf at 9.8 to 10.3 with no issues. That speed range gives us the best wave, RPMs are at 3200 btw. Wakemakers had one in their clearance section FYI.
    2006 Mobius LSV
    New to boating and surfing

call wakemakers and see what they recommend. If you use them they will give you a 10% for being a member of the Moomba board.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by MGX View Post
    My 06 with 750s in the rear, stock floor and 750 IBS was struggling last Summer but it was more around 10 with 4-5 people in it. Changed the prop to an ACME 1617 and upgraded the rear bags to 910s and no issues what so ever this year. Jumps out of the water and we surf at 9.8 to 10.3 with no issues. That speed range gives us the best wave, RPMs are at 3200 btw. Wakemakers had one in their clearance section FYI.

What is your unweighted top end speed with the 1617 prop?
    Last edited by Derekwit; 08-06-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derekwit View Post
    What is your unweighted top end spreed with the 1617 prop?
    Never had it wide open but goes to 35 mph, that I know.

https://www.wakemakers.com/acme-1617...ller-used.html
    2006 Mobius LSV

I tried the 1617 and it sucked! Same issue. Wakemaker’s pitches it as “The Diesel of Props.” The reality is it’s garbage.

Go with either the 1847 or the 2315. The 2315 will hit your top end hard. I max out at 33mph with it. However, I can plane and hit 5200 rpms fully weighted (4000#’s). The 1847 is an awesome prop for surfing, wake boarding, just about everything and maintains a good top end.

Just take that 1617 to a prop shop and have them re-pitch it and cup it to 1847 specs. It should only cost you $50-100 bucks. Just make sure you can hit 4800 - 5200 rpms at wot and fully weighted. If you can’t, you’ll need to decrease the pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

Just an FYI! I love wakemaker’s when it comes to ballast and plumbing. When it comes to propeller selections; they are completely clueless!! Propeller selection is crucial not only to the performance of your boat, but also it’s longevity and safe handling.

Best propeller advice you can get is from Nettles or directly from acme. In addition, if can find a local trustworthy propeller shop, they will work with you to optimize your prop to your vessel and needs. There’s no reason to purchase a new prop unless you are changing the diameter or # of blades. You can have any prop re-pitched up or down by 2”’s and add or take away cup. As long as you have the correct diameter there is infinite tuning you can do to your existing prop. Of course the folks at Wakemaker’s don’t want you to know this as they are in the business of selling new props.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    I tried the 1617 and it sucked! Same issue. Wakemaker’s pitches it as “The Diesel of Props.” The reality is it’s garbage.

Go with either the 1847 or the 2315. The 2315 will hit your top end hard. I max out at 33mph with it. However, I can plane and hit 5200 rpms fully weighted (4000#’s). The 1847 is an awesome prop for surfing, wake boarding, just about everything and maintains a good top end.

Just take that 1617 to a prop shop and have them re-pitch it and cup it to 1847 specs. It should only cost you $50-100 bucks. Just make sure you can hit 4800 - 5200 rpms at wot and fully weighted. If you can’t, you’ll need to decrease the pitch.

Interesting because that prop solved my issue. Glad you found one that works though.
    2006 Mobius LSV