Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Surf Tabs :)

I will get you those pictures this evening.

My plan is to replace the pin in the hinge with something removable at some point not sure yet on how I want to do the turnbuckle.
    2000 Möbius V
    Indmar assault 5.7mpi
    Perfect pass stargazer wake
    Oj 445 will be replaced soon
    1100#on each side of the eng ,800 in ski locker
    almost enough

Sorry it took so long. Remember this is a rough prototype so please keep don't be to hard on the looks. And that my hull looks like crap.

Last edited by 86century; 08-08-2014 at 09:16 PM.
    2000 Möbius V
    Indmar assault 5.7mpi
    almost enough

Looks like you guys are spending a lot of time on these projects. I am thinking about doing something similar to the ones in the Malibu forum. I have a 07 LSV and I would really like to have the trim tab setup like the Swell system. Does anyone know if that is also mounted to the swim platform? I was thinking that I could use it as a trim tab and a wake enhancement device for surfing. What are your thoughts?

The tabs mount to the transom near bottom.
    2000 Möbius V
    Indmar assault 5.7mpi
    almost enough

Actuators give a cool factor for sure. But with them comes some challenges. If you follow the guys on the Malibu forum there is a guy who made some amazing electronics to control them. Without the means to index the angle everything then adjust it when needed the system would be ineffective. Retracting then when not surfing (turning back around to pick the survey up after falls) then using a manual switch to put them out again wouldn't work. The effects of the gates out whole turning is minimal compared to the challenges of fixing it. The other issue being permanent. I wanted something that is really removed and leaves no sign it was there. When I installed my leds I routed the wire through my bilge plug so I didn't have to put a unnecessary hole in my boat. Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by cornrickey View Post
    The other issue being permanent. I wanted something that is really removed and leaves no sign it was there. When I installed my leds I routed the wire through my bilge plug so I didn't have to put a unnecessary hole in my boat. Hope that helps
    Whereas I had no problems with my surf system being permanent. I know I won't keep my boat forever, and I know that my permanent surf system that's on my boat will absolutely add value to the boat and will be a selling feature when the time comes to move on. But I'm also in a unique position. I started with one of the most attractive/sought after "budget" direct drive wake boats and improved on it so it goes from throwing a flat slalom wake all the way up to throwing a great surf wave that drives fantastic despite the 2000 pounds of weight. I don't see any reason someone in my "target audience" wouldn't want that.

Don't get me wrong, cornrickey's approach will appeal to a TON of people that want to "leave no trace". And he was ABSOLUTELY one of the pioneers of retrofitting surf systems and inspired me a TON. I'm just not one of those people who cares about bringing my boat back to "stock". I'll mod my boat and be stoked that it'll make it more attractive to the next buyer.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by 86century View Post
    Sorry it took so long. Remember this is a rough prototype so please keep don't be to hard on the looks. And that my hull looks like crap.
    Did you weld that to the factory platform bracket or fab up a new one? I guess I'm having trouble envisioning the before and after.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Whereas I had no problems with my surf system being permanent. I know I won't keep my boat forever, and I know that my permanent surf system that's on my boat will absolutely add value to the boat and will be a selling feature when the time comes to move on. But I'm also in a unique position. I started with one of the most attractive/sought after "budget" direct drive wake boats and improved on it so it goes from throwing a flat slalom wake all the way up to throwing a great surf wave that drives fantastic despite the 2000 pounds of weight. I don't see any reason someone in my "target audience" wouldn't want that.

Don't get me wrong, cornrickey's approach will appeal to a TON of people that want to "leave no trace". And he was ABSOLUTELY one of the pioneers of retrofitting surf systems and inspired me a TON. I'm just not one of those people who cares about bringing my boat back to "stock". I'll mod my boat and be stoked that it'll make it more attractive to the next buyer.
    Rock on Brother!

My first motivation was I didn't know how this whole thing was going to work so out had to be removable. Additionally it made for easy modifications on the water. My thought was to sell them which I have a couple sets but bring that I form them to the stern out requires the same hull (I use my boat for mock up or getting the actual boat in my shop. As of now and how I'm mortising the hinges into the material (3/4 hdpe) they are taking me 4 days for a set materials are around $150 but in using 5k in machinery.

Do you have any updates on this system, this is something that I have been looking to do. I would love to see how it went and if you have any video. Even though these are just trim tabs it seems like they would work out pretty well, I lookes at the supra swell system and they are using very similar actuators but just a different gate at the bottom. This may be a new winter project for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MJR63 View Post
    Finally got around to install my Lenco tabs I tested them out under normal operation and they work great a leveling the boat under power. Planning on trying them this weekend w/ surfing. I'll keep everyone posted...

Attachment 20522

Attachment 20523

Attachment 20524

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Did you weld that to the factory platform bracket or fab up a new one? I guess I'm having trouble envisioning the before and after.
    No, it is bolted on using the platform bracket bolts.
    2000 Möbius V
    Indmar assault 5.7mpi
    almost enough