Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Couldn't keep thru-hull from turning

I've been working on my ballast install today and I'm almost done but ran into a problem when tightening the thru hull nut. I had a buddy stick a prybar into the hole from the bottom to try and keep it from turning but you can't get any leverage. Anyways it's pulled flush with the hull and I used the marine sealant on the top and bottom, and there is no play in the fitting. Think I'm alright? Thanks
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

If it has the little tabs or bars on the inside of the fitting you may be able to use this trick.

Put a wrench on the flat edge of the handle for more leverage. I used this breaker bar handle on both my bottom (underwater) thru hull and above water thru hulls on the sides.

It's not a high pressure system so as long as you have some sealant under the fitting you are probably good. For a below the water connection I would definitely spend a little extra effort to get it as tight as possible though.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Z,

What you are experience is not uncommon. The marine adhesive makes for a great lubricant while in its uncured state. So even with the jam nut tight, the thin barrier of sealant can allow the t-hull to rotate. let it cure and you should be fine. Also, I would go ahead and put on the ball-valve while you are at the point you are at. This way, if you need to rotate the whole setup to get the ball-valve handle oriented so it has the clearance to be shut off, you can rotate the assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by z28ke View Post
    I've been working on my ballast install today and I'm almost done but ran into a problem when tightening the thru hull nut. I had a buddy stick a prybar into the hole from the bottom to try and keep it from turning but you can't get any leverage. Anyways it's pulled flush with the hull and I used the marine sealant on the top and bottom, and there is no play in the fitting. Think I'm alright? Thanks
    Since its under the water line i would make sure its tighter than a whales a$$

Quote Originally Posted by lsvboombox View Post
    Since its under the water line i would make sure its tighter than a whales a$$
    Don't want to over tighten, crack the gel coat/spider cracks... The sealant is what makes it water tight...
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    Don't want to over tighten, crack the gel coat/spider cracks... The sealant is what makes it water tight...
    Agreed. A whales sphincter does not spin and isnt cracked.

And if anyone wants to see a whale weiner i got a picture
    Last edited by lsvboombox; 05-04-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsvboombox View Post
    Agreed. A whales sphincter does not spin and isnt cracked.

And if anyone wants to see a whale weiner i got a picture
    Think we'll all pass on the whale Werner pic, well maybe Chawk wouldn't mind a quick peak-
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Haha, no thanks. I let the sealant dry good before I put on the ball valve and kept an eye on the nut to make sure it wasn't turning as I tightened the valve. It held tight so I think it's good to go. I'll check it on the water before I back off the trailer. Thanks for all the help guys, I couldn't have done this project without all the good people and threads on this board! I can't wait to get on the lake sunday and try it out, throwing pumps over the side of the boat is for the birds
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

There's about 10 Dusty's Mom-isms in the description above.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by z28ke View Post
    throwing pumps over the side of the boat is for the birds
    It's also for folks with boats that have hard tanks and need more weight but don't want to drill holes, add pumps, etc.