Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loose steering

Default Loose steering

loose steering... seems like I turn the wheel 1/8th to 1/4 before the boat actually start turning. Cable feels smooth. Is this an adjustment under the helm. or is it the.. stuffing box? And for either the box or the helm, how do you adjust? I know I need to grind on my rudder more, but this feels unrelated.
    08 Outback. Private Lake Owner.

Have you had any luck resolving this problem?
    2011 LSV
    Loaded, 340 HP

I am having the same problem on my 2007 Mobius LS. Can anyone please help with this!?!?

Garn
    Garn
    2007 Mobius LS (Direct Drive)

So I've narowed the play or backlash to the fitting off of the strut through bolts that clamp the steering cable down. I've tightened them down with no change in the backlash at the steering wheel. (the clamp itself isn't static and allows some play, this transfers into backlass at the steering wheel) My next step is to see if there is an alternative steering cable clamp. Anyone else have any other conclusions?
    2011 LSV
    Loaded, 340 HP

It's hard to tell if your steering slop is normal or abnormal. A little play is usually normal though not desired by most serious boat drivers. Check out this thread as it explains a bit about steering "slop".

http://www.amskierboats.com/forum/in...ic,2487.0.html

Hopefully it's helpful..
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

there is a thread on here about someone doing a hydraulic steering conversion. now this is something that i would REALLY be interested in when time to replace my cable comes.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by phospher View Post
    It's hard to tell if your steering slop is normal or abnormal. A little play is usually normal though not desired by most serious boat drivers. Check out this thread as it explains a bit about steering "slop".

http://www.amskierboats.com/forum/in...ic,2487.0.html

Hopefully it's helpful..

Thanks for the info. I have had boats in the past with tuned rudders. This is a different issue. I estimate 2 to 3 inches of play in the steering wheel. In some instances I can actually feel rudder catch when turning from left to right. My local dealership is the one who pointed me to the steering cable clamp toggle. I'd like to hear from one of the Skiers Choice engineers on how to address this. I've also checked Teleflex's website for some information and had not luck. I would also like to eliminate the steering cable chatter when throttling up too.

Thanks,
    Mike
    2011 LSV
    Loaded, 340 HP

Quote Originally Posted by jikemones View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have had boats in the past with tuned rudders. This is a different issue. I estimate 2 to 3 inches of play in the steering wheel.
    Mike
    Wow, yep, I hear ya. That is way too much play! Good luck and let us know.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

I'd like to hear from one of the Skiers Choice engineers on how to address this.
    Mike,

You can try sending an email to [email protected] with your question.

So I've narowed the play or backlash to the fitting off of the strut through bolts that clamp the steering cable down.
    Jikemones, I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to here. Can you be a bit more specific about where this is at, what it is, and what you did? I have the exact same problem as you on my 07 LS.

Thanks,

Garn
    Garn
    2007 Mobius LS (Direct Drive)