Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by helix_rider View Post
    Okay, so I love Cab's new and improved version. This is the 3rd year I've done my own winterization, but NO one (dealer, friends, etc) ever told me about the drain in the port muffler. I took A LOT of water out of that.

I did have an interesting (read: SCARY) experience though, and was hoping some of you more mechanically inclined could help me out. I removed the starboard engine block drain plug with no issues. I then went to the port side, and if you've done this, you know what I mean, the plug is kinda in an awkward place, you are crunched up in the rear compartment and so I just reached down with my socket wrench to 'feel' for the plug. Much to my surprise (and shortly thereafter fear), an enormous amount of sparks came flying up at me from the wrench!!! If there had been any gasoline fumes, I might be toast right now. The key was not even in the boat, nothing was turned on...but I had not disconnected the battery yet. I will now do that 1st every year...but my last step was to always take the battery out previously, and I've never had this happen. It really looked like I was arc-welding (my 9/16 socket left some of its 'silver' on the brass plug. It reallly cranked it. Anyway, just thought I'd get that out there so any other newbies like me stay safe.
    helix,

Good point on disconnecting the battery - I had not thought about the possibility of accidentally touching the positive terminal on the starter with your ratchet while the other end is on the block plug.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by futuredeadguy View Post
    Thanks again, Al. Your directions were spot on accurate. I had no trouble at all winterizing today. I didn't get my oil hot enough, so the oil extraction took awhile, but other than that it went great. I was using a 'portable lake' for cooling - I don't like to run the engine too long when I use it - I never feel like it's getting enough water, although it probably is.

One thing I didn't do was remove the impeller. Is that going to be an issue? The Moomba dealer never removed it on previous winterizations.

Would also like to give kudos to Overtons for shipping my winterization supplies immediately. Great service - had all my stuff in three days via UPS ground.

By the way, I reformatted your directions into a word doc that I'm keeping with my boat documents. Worth it's weight in gold! You rule!

Dead

Dead,

Good to hear that the directions were helpful. I think Moomba/Indmar recommends replacing the impeller every two years. It's cheap insurance against failure while on the water. I replaced mine even though the original still looked new. I now keep the old one on the boat in a ziploc bag as a spare so if the impeller ever lets go while I am on the water, I can replace it right then and there.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

All,

I edited the directions to include all the good additional info brought up by the forum (disconnecting the battery, winterizing your heater, the difference in the plugs, etc). Thanks for the input.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

If anyone has gone to the lengths that Cab has for the impeller (pictures in particular) and could post that would be awesome...that whole a picture is worth a thousand words is so true when we are talking mechanical workings, as I'm a neanderthal and need 'easy diagrams' lol. That's the only thing I've not done myself and will do in the spring when it comes time to get back on the water.

You guys who edited thie thread into a Word document, would you mind posting it? That would save me having to do it again.

Thanks,

Garn

GREAT POST!

Does anybody know if that muffler drain exists on a DD? I have DIY winterized now for the past two years and this is the first time I have heard of this drain. That muffler is way in the back under the rear ballast tanks in a DD and I'm curious if it has a drain plug like the one shown in the V-Drive photos.

Default How important is Step 3

Remove the plug underneath the muffler?

Sadly I hate to admit I could not figure this one out. How important is this step? What will happen if I dont do this step? I have a Moomba Outback Inboard with no Vdrive? Where is this plug can someone tell me and explain it to a total non mechanical dufus?

Thanks for these steps. I was not going to be able to winterize because I'm flat broke and this saved my moomba. Now if I can just find that plug!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MoombaMaster View Post
    Remove the plug underneath the muffler?

Sadly I hate to admit I could not figure this one out. How important is this step? What will happen if I dont do this step? I have a Moomba Outback Inboard with no Vdrive? Where is this plug can someone tell me and explain it to a total non mechanical dufus?

Thanks for these steps. I was not going to be able to winterize because I'm flat broke and this saved my moomba. Now if I can just find that plug!!!
    Jon J & MoombaMaster,

I don't know if the DD's have the muffler drain or not. I would think so. Just run your hand along the bottom of the muffler and see if you can feel it. It is on the very end on the port side on mine (see pic on page 1 of this post).

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Default winterize procedure

I hope Cab dont mind but I put his instructions and pictures into a Microsoft Word file so that I could print it out. I then took it out to my boat with me and it made the process very simple. If anyone would like this file just let me know and I will email it to you. Thanks again Cab.

How important is it to remove the plugs on the V-drive unit, because I cannot get them to budge at all! It looks like they have never been touched. I got the hoses off the unit just didn't get the plugs pulled...
    RIDE: 2002 Moomba Mobius V

TOW VEHICLE: 2002 Chevy Tahoe Z71

SETUP: 2011 142 Slingshot RECOIL 2011 Slingshot RAD Boots