Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phil's Boat

OK - I like gadgets and that is just plain cool!
    Nice work on the mounting of the cans.........it's not heiniken kegs but cool nonetheless

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Phil,
    For the Catalina I'm thinking of something kinda Austin Powersish with the Brit flag, a slightly crooked mast and ambered sails. So what do you think?

David

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    Phil,
    For the Catalina I'm thinking of something kinda Austin Powersish with the Brit flag, a slightly crooked mast and ambered sails. So what do you think?

David
    hahhahhah... Tanbark sails?

Nah...

And BTW, who told you about my mast?

I'd like to see phil's tow rig for that sailboat... looks like something in the 18wheel variety to tow it

nice ride btw..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I'd like to see phil's tow rig for that sailboat... looks like something in the 18wheel variety to tow it

nice ride btw..
    Father-in-law's Diesel-powered International. It has a big flatbed with a goosneck. He has a big 40-foot implement trailer that he hauls his farm and hay equipment on. The International totes it like nothing is back there.

i'd like to swap the 15hp diesel volvo for a GM 350 in the sailboat...

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCaron View Post
    i'd like to swap the 15hp diesel volvo for a GM 350 in the sailboat...
    It still woudn't plane....

I am for redneck conversions though. I am researching small 110 freezers, small enough to fit in the boat tucked out of the way. The idea is to keep a freezer running while plugged into shore power. This freezer contains a solid block of ice, in vessel of some sort, (like a big heavy milk jug for example) with a coil of copper tube in the ice.

The copper tube connects to a heater core, or a small radiator with a top - fill cap. The copper tube has a pump installed to pump antifreeze through the ice to cool it, then up to the heater core or radiator and back down. The heater core or radiator has a small 12-volt squirrel-cage fan attached, blowing air through chilling it. Voila, you have a condensing air-conditioner cooing system that will remove moisture from the air. And while under way, the only moving parts are a couple of 2Amp motors, one running a pump and the other running a fan. Low current low voltage air conditioning....

When you return to the dock, simply plug back in. The freezer will kick on, and turn any liquid water back to ice. Wait a while and you are ready for the next trip out. It is kinda lie recharging your house battery for the stereo overnight....

My other option is to simply use one of the storage bins under the dinette. Insulate it real well, and put a bunch of copper in there, shaped so that it conforms tightly to several milk jugs full of frozen ice. You can just rotate frozen milk jugs from a big freezer on shore. You possibly could accumulate a greater thermmal mass going this way, when compared to a small freezer...

Last edited by philwsailz; 08-05-2010 at 01:01 PM.

what about keeping a small chunk of dry ice in with the block of ice to keep it from melting? might last a couple of days that way?
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    what about keeping a small chunk of dry ice in with the block of ice to keep it from melting? might last a couple of days that way?
    It would asphyxiate you. Co2 is heavier than air and will accumulate in the boat interior.

Leearned the hard way when I snuck some dry ice into a suitcase on a family trip as a kid. Most of my family went to sleep and my dad could not stay awake while driving. I was bored, and got it out and started playing with it, and that is when my dad figured out what was wrong.

Got my butt beat, but I will never have dry ice in any vehicle again.