Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Onboard charger opinions

So who has one and which do you have? Why did you select the one you have?

I'm going to add one finally to the boat. After researching I see 4,5,6,10 amps per bank chargers and now i'm at a loss more or less. I've noticed most use the ProMariner ProSport 20 whether 2 or 3 bank, but do you really need 10 amps per batt to charge?

David chime in on this one if you could as well.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I have 3 Deka Seamate group 31 batteries and went with a Pro Mariner Prosport 20A 2 bank charger. I don't run my stereo batteries down but better to have a good charger before you're stuck with dead batteries. David informed me that IF you run down your batteries the battery needs 10 amps to to bring it back to full charge. Plus I have an plug mounted in the V-drive locker that I can plug into from outside the boat.

Dual pro chargers are the best IMO.... as far as amps it really depends on how fast u need to recharge..... i use a 15 amp on my bass boat.. gives a full charge in about 4 hours... a 10 amp prob like 6-8 hrs.... if you have the time there is nothing wrong with a 5 amp... slow long charges arent bad.......

ProMariner ProSport 12 Dual Bank. Like DaMan I have a 120V inlet socket installed thru the side of the top deck in the rear locker I plug the extension cord into that powers the charger (mine is in the starboard locker as that side is closer to my garage).
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Same as YDM but prosport12. When I plug it in its usually in for the night and by morning all the batteries are charged and ready to go.

My batteries never really get that low either because I have that 160amp alternator.

Are you keeping your same batteries or going new?

PWI as usual...

I dumped the lead acid stereo battery and added a Deka 31 AGM, got a killer deal on it. David believes I can get away with one battery based on my playtime habits.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Do you guys play a ton without the engine running? What is the point of an onboard charger when you have an alternator recharging while your running?
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    Do you guys play a ton without the engine running? What is the point of an onboard charger when you have an alternator recharging while your running?
    I would like to know this too. Maybe its so that playing the stereo in the garage doesnt become a problem...

With a battery that has a 105 amp/hour capacity you need a minimum of 10 amps of charging capacity for that battery alone. With a standard 50 to 60 amp/hour starting battery you have exceeded the capacity of a 12 amp charger. Given that your boat will usually be put into storage with a nearly charged starting battery you could use a 12 amp charger. A 20 amp dual bank charger is a better fit however. In order to have the right amount of current to chemically excite your battery in order to properly desulphate you want a charger that is rated at between 10 to 13 percent of your total amp/hour capacity.
    Also, if you are maintaining a flooded starting battery make sure that you have settings that are separate for the two banks. An AGM would like to see a little higher voltage for a little longer duration at the end of the charging cycle.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    With a battery that has a 105 amp/hour capacity you need a minimum of 10 amps of charging capacity for that battery alone. With a standard 50 to 60 amp/hour starting battery you have exceeded the capacity of a 12 amp charger. Given that your boat will usually be put into storage with a nearly charged starting battery you could use a 12 amp charger. A 20 amp dual bank charger is a better fit however. In order to have the right amount of current to chemically excite your battery in order to properly desulphate you want a charger that is rated at between 10 to 13 percent of your total amp/hour capacity.
    Also, if you are maintaining a flooded starting battery make sure that you have settings that are separate for the two banks. An AGM would like to see a little higher voltage for a little longer duration at the end of the charging cycle.

David
    Earmark Marine
    Thanks David, exactly what i was looking for. I'll look for a good deal on a 2 bank ProMariner ProSport 20 amp unit.
    2007 Mobius LSV