Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Remove old packing?

Do you have to remove the old packing or just add one new piece. and also do you need to add greese or just the packing?
    Darren

Old comes out and new in the same way.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

yes, you must physically pull the old packing out. If I remember right, a member of this forum posted his ideas as to how to do it. They made a jig out of a wire coat hanger to pull the packing out.

C-Bus Oh/Lake Cumberland-Grider Hill Dock Ky

Did anyone find the wrench prictured in this post or something comparable that works well?

I need to adjust my packing nut tighter, but I didn't have a wrench in my tool bag that I could get into the small space. Short handle is the key, my large channel locks that are big enough for the nut have too long of a handle. AutoZone didn't have an oil filter wrench like is pictured here and the small handled channell locks they have may not be big enough for the nut.
    Black & Tan 2006 Mobius LSV

I just went through this process with much help from these threads, so first of all...thanks!

A couple of additions I have to add for those still going to try it. For comparison, I havce the '05 LSV. I can't reach the packing nut/shaft through the engine hatch, so have to go through the hole under the rear seat. Second, my boat has a bunch of wiriing on the port side, so to access the nut with any tools, I had to use starboard side (left side when facing the stern from the inside of the boat). I took off the water hose to the tranny to make it simpler (as well as my ballast water strainer).

I used 2 1/4 inch channel locks for the packing nut (the big nut), and my smaller channel locks for the jam nut (the skinny nut).

All of my directions are listed as you are sitting in the boat facing the rear.

1. Loosened the jam nut by turning clockwise.
    2. Loosened the packing nut by turning counterclockwise.
    3. Pulled the jam nut towards me 'up' the shaft (about 4 inches)
    4. Fought and fought to get the packing out until I realized the easiest way to do it. Get a really small screwdriver or 'pick'. Reach into the packing nut and press until you feel the slight 'give', indicating you are on packing material.
    5. Then, while applying pressure to the tool, slowly rotate the nut with your other hand. Soon, you will feel the tool 'dip', indicating you've found the seam of the packing thread.
    6. Now dig at that seam like a madman, rotating packing nut to help you dig it out. (The first piece took my 15 minutes to figure out...the next 3 pieces took about 5 total)
    7. I had 4 pieces in there. You'll know you are done when the inserted tool hits metal and not the squishy material.
    8. I then cut 4 pieces of 4 1/8 inch goretex packing material that I got from skidim (like $12)
    9. I put 2 pieces in, went through the whole tightening/loosening as instructed, then put the next 2 pieces in and packed again, and finally tightened it up as tight as I could with my hands.

It's funny how it seemed like it was so hard, but now I could do it in 30 minutes from start to finish. Appreciate all the help you guys out there provide...it has been saving me serious cash.

Replaced my packing this weekend. Best way I found to remove old packing was to use a drywall screw. Screw into the packing (close to the split if you can find it) and pull each ring out. My 06 LSV only had 2 rings in it and was leaking, put 2 back in it and stil leaking so think I am going to add another ring or two to the nut.

Great website with instructions

www.pbase.com/maincruising/stuffing_box
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV Black/Grey
    Board - 08 Ronix Covin / 08 Ronix Cells
    Surf - CWB Tsunami
    Audio - 6 - JL M650-CCX 6.5" in boat
    2 - JL M770-ETX 7.7" on Tower
    2 - JL 10" W1 Subs
    JL M6600W & JL M1700W Amps

2006 Moomba Mobius LSV Black/Grey
    Board - 08 Ronix Covin / 08 Ronix Cells
    Surf - CWB Tsunami
    Audio - 6 - JL M650-CCX 6.5" in boat
    2 - JL M770-ETX 7.7" on Tower
    2 - JL 10" W1 Subs
    JL M6600W & JL M1700W Amps

Quote Originally Posted by SC_LSV View Post
    great walkthrough.. replaced mine last year, but I am probably going to do it again this fall as it hasnt stopped leaking all summer... its like 5 drips every 10 seconds instead of every minute...

going to use the GFO this time around.
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV
    Stereo: Kenwood KMR-D562BT
    Ballast: 750 Surfside locker, 400 Surfside mid boat, 400 Gravity I, 400 Bow
    Surfboards: Inland Surfer Red Woody, Triple X Composite X 58"[/SIZE]

Default 01 LSV Too Short

The instructions that everyone has posted here are great, but I just took the packing nut off of my 2001 LSV and when I slide it up the shaft, it only slides about 1/2" before it hits the coupler. This 1/2" doesn't give me enough room to even feel the packing with a small screwdriver (much more remove it). I noticed that the instructions from helix_rider said that he slid the nut up about 4". 4" would give enough room to clean out the packing nut. Is there really that much difference between an '01 and an '05. Has anyone else experienced this?

Here's an image of the nut before I loosened it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does anyone know if it is possible to keep tightening the Nut to slow the dripping or do I need to replace the packing?
    2006 LSV