Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

thanks guys, just ordered a T handle rope. We'll see how it works.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

When people see the t handle they think they can't hold it. It really isn't much different. I have large hands and can wrap all but my pinkies around it. Better than getting your arm stuck in something. If you only offer the T or the knotted rope that is what they learn on.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    I have a Proline T handle that very rarely ever gets used in the last 2-3yrs.

Braided one myself with thicker tube rope and an old ski rope handle and love it. It is thick enough that no one even thinks of making the mistake of coiling it up a bunch around their hand. (yes, she got yelled at for that little loop she's holding)

I noticed in your pic that you just have the rope attached to the cleat -- is there any danger in bending those from the weight of the pull? We have used the tower or the pylon when surfing but never thought to use the cleat....
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

that's a good way to get newbies off to the side out of the whitewash, but could be some issues with larger riders.

Another solution can be found at wake9.com: the nubbin'

http://store.wake9.com/gear/nubbin

What do you need this for? When new people learn to wakesurf one of the hardest issues for them is the whitewash behind the middle of the boat. The surf nubbin' is a special strap that allows you to connect the rope to the top corner of the tower on the side of the surfer. A special wakesurf tower mount that helps pull the surfer away from the whitewash and into the smooth flats on the side of the boat. We have been through a few prototypes, and this version works perfect, is cheap, and easy to install on all tube towers

That's a good idea, I had never thought about that. I just try to maneuver the boat so that the rider is already outside the wake area before starting and if they get caught back in the whitewash they just have to deal with it.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Default Re: What kind of rope to buy?

Same here, just start them on the side and go slow 3-4 mph until they're outside the wave..

I'd think having the rope on the cleat would be harder to get up, with the rope on the tower it gives a higher angle so you can pull yourself upward..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

I guess I'm in the minority. I think that the T-handle is annoying and so do most the people that have surfed behind my boat. I find that when I used the T-handle, that I'd still hold onto it with both of my hands and what would happen is that one hand would get mashed under the other hand.

I did like the thickness and knots though. I got the body glove one and it was significantly the best deal.

This was the best price IIRC, it's who I ordered from.

http://www.jmsonline.net/body-glove-...bgw-bg1208.htm

My first wakesurf board was a used Hyperlite broadcast and they sold it to me with an Accurate rope with the small handle. That's what I use exclusively now. Looks like this:

I think that the thicker rope with knots, but then having the small handle would be a great option.

The reason why I use the Accurate one now is because I get up and as soon as the PP has the wake at the right speed, I'm tossing it in.

When I was learning, I really needed the thickness/knots to get myself in the right spot. But now that I have the wave more dialed and I'm solid, I don't want it or need it and only want a comfy small handle to get up with. And hey, I've only hit my wife in the back with it once so far!

We always pull from the tower. It seems like both wake surf ropes I have are sized with that in mind. They're both almost the perfect length to get someone in the pocket and ride there with the rope only in the left hand (regular side).
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    Same here, just start them on the side and go slow 3-4 mph until they're outside the wave..

I'd think having the rope on the cleat would be harder to get up, with the rope on the tower it gives a higher angle so you can pull yourself upward..
    I only do that with the kids from the cleat. We found that from the pylon when they'd pop up they'd stay right behind the boat to get situated or get their courage up for a little bit, whatever. Then getting them down into the wave was the problem - and they were either scared to death to even try dropping in or would go for it and wipe out big time.

Same as you, we started to just pull them slower with whitewash and not get up to speed and form the wave until they were off to the side and that helped some. Can't just toss the rope to the other side of the wave though when pulling from the cleat - it tends to bounce back to the surf side and mess up the rider.

I've never had much luck pulling surf from the tower - rope ends up being way too short (but my tower doesn't arch back as far as some).

Other thing I didn't care for about the Proline T handle is that the nice, thick braided part in front of the handle is too short. By the time a rider would pop up and pull themselves forward a little they were holding onto the skinny rope.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    I only do that with the kids from the cleat. We found that from the pylon when they'd pop up they'd stay right behind the boat to get situated or get their courage up for a little bit, whatever. Then getting them down into the wave was the problem - and they were either scared to death to even try dropping in or would go for it and wipe out big time.

Same as you, we started to just pull them slower with whitewash and not get up to speed and form the wave until they were off to the side and that helped some. Can't just toss the rope to the other side of the wave though when pulling from the cleat - it tends to bounce back to the surf side and mess up the rider.

I've never had much luck pulling surf from the tower - rope ends up being way too short (but my tower doesn't arch back as far as some).

Other thing I didn't care for about the Proline T handle is that the nice, thick braided part in front of the handle is too short. By the time a rider would pop up and pull themselves forward a little they were holding onto the skinny rope.
    If it were me, I'd just add a length of line. I've got a couple lengths of line that I've pulled off some of my wakeboard ropes that I never use. I've been wakeboarding at 60' so one of those sections would be easy enough to add to a surf rope. The body glove t-handle rope is thick/braided/knots pretty much the entire thing, so it'd be good for avoiding the other issue you spoke of.

After reading this, I am thinking of turning my t-handle from body glove into a triangle. I am sure I could pull it off without too much effort.

If we ever hook up and get out on the water together, I'd be happy to let you try either of my surf lines or any of my (3) surf boards.

I'll be out on the Columbia today! Woot!!!!! Look for the black and white Supra with the "stormtrooper" theme. That's me!

2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    "stormtrooper" theme. That's me!
    You might appreciate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SEBrcU4z2A
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost