Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1 reversible pump/ 2 bags

I want to upgrade from a gI to gIII on a budget and had a couple quick questions(leaving the center system alone):

Could I use one reversible pump with a dedicated thru-hull, tee off after the pump and run hoses to both rear bags, putting a valve just before each bag so I can close one and fill/drain the other?

Would I need to vent the bags or not because of the reversible pump?

I am correct in that with a reverible pump you only need one hose going to each bag and it will push water back out the thru hull?

I've been doing alot of research on others modifications and found jesters how to thread very helpful!

Thanks for any help!
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

You could do that yes. You would need to add vents lines and thru hulls (above waterline) for each bag. Yes using the reversible you have one hose for each from the pump (or T) that fills and drains it out the thru hull in the bilge. There is a Y type valve on wakemakers that could be used as your T and the just one valve rather than two
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Z28,

I am a firm believer of venting any ballast sac, regardless of the type of pump system used. It allows air to purge and be replaced with water. The benefit of this is that water is just a little heavier then air It also gives us an audible and visual indicator that the sac is full when the water purges out of the vent. Last, it prevents the sac from blowing up like a balloon. its ok to have a little bulging, but too much pressure can push out speakers, cup-holders, engine walls, split sac seams and break fittings on the bottom side of a locked locker door.

And yes, you can use a couple of manual ball-valves to control the direction of flow from/to the pump between 2 sacs.

Yep WM sells a Directional y valve for 50.

The rversible pumps suck all water and air out of the bags and doesnt let air in. So u technically dont need vents. Without them u could blow a bag though. If you put vents u then need check valves outherwise the bag will not drain as well.
    Last edited by lsvboombox; 04-19-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks for the replies guys! A couple more questions for ya

Is there any need to run a filter before the pump?

What kind of reversible pump do you recommend for ease of wiring and switch options?

Where would you mount the pump on a 2008 OBV?

Thanks again!
    2018 Murder Max

Quote Originally Posted by z28ke View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys! A couple more questions for ya

Is there any need to run a filter before the pump?

What kind of reversible pump do you recommend for ease of wiring and switch options?

Where would you mount the pump on a 2008 OBV?

Thanks again!
    If your lake is know to have a lot of floating debris, then installing a grate over the thru-hull might be a good idea.

The Johnson is only slightly faster then the Jabsco, but once in use in a real world ballast setup, it very minimal. Both are quality pumps. The Jabsco Ballast puppy comes with pre-wired 20A DPDT Carling toggle switch with a labeled actuator and in a switch bezel. In the end, since both pumps draw about the same current and are 12V DC reversible motors, they get wired the same and operate the same. I suggest steering clear of the cheaper non ignition protected fluid transfer pumps.

Since the pumps are self-priming, you can just about locate them any where. I would look for a location that makes it easy to mount and easy to service the pump if needed. Orient the pump so the motor is up and the pump head it down if you mount it on a wall. IF the shaft seal leaks, this prevent the water from entering the pump. Keep in mind that these pumps are not waterproof, so do not locate it below the water line in the bilge.

The forward wall of the engine bay is a popular spot on a lot of tow boats. Thats also a good spot for your manual diverter valve.

Quote Originally Posted by lsvboombox View Post
    Yep WM sells a Directional y valve for 50.

The rversible pumps suck all water and air out of the bags and doesnt let air in. So u technically dont need vents. Without them u could blow a bag though. If you put vents u then need check valves outherwise the bag will not drain as well.
    do you put the check valves on the vent lines?
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    do you put the check valves on the vent lines?
    Yep, i put them right next to the thru hull. When installed they suck the bags dry. If u dont have them you can stick your finger in the thru hull and see how much of a difference they make

Awesome, I'm going to get on the horn with wakemakers and get this show on the road! Thanks for the help guys
    2018 Murder Max

Another quick question: Can I use a 90 degree ball valve on top of the thru hull and leave the jabsco pump right there? ie don't physically mount it with screws, but let the plumbing on the intake side hold it up.

Thanks for all the help, trying to get a game plan!
    2018 Murder Max