Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I would really like to hear one of these if anyone had one in my area.

I used a 12 ported box last summer. Pretty much same setup but not as clean of a finish. It rattled the s#+% out of my dash if I turned it up and left me no leg room. I have playpen bow so no option to put feet in the walkway.

Is there a reason these aren't carpeted? It wouldnt stand out so much.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    I gotta ask just for my own "ed"ification...

why in the world would you want to loose all that space under the dash - as shown with Nate's set-up?
    It is personal preference as to what you want to accomplish in how your stereo sounds. I use a 15 for a couple of reasons 1) I have had smallers subs in my trucks over the years, but none have ever sounded as good as the 15s I have had in my boat. And 2) The majority of my time spent out on the river is wakeboarding. Depending on who is out with us we ride from 55-85 feet (usually around 75-80), so the desire to get the bass out to the rider is there for me. Using a smaller sub would not allow for the bass to be heard as easily as a larger sub with a vented enclosure.

When I am driving or just sitting in the drivers seat I rarely stretch my legs out. So sacrificing the area under the dash was not a concern to me.

I don't believe I have been in a boat that has one of these speakers installed
    Come on out to Oregon and I will gladly take you out. That goes for anyone who is local too.

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Is there a reason these aren't carpeted? It wouldnt stand out so much.
    It is personal preference. I do not like having so much carpet in my boat, nor how it looks. I would much rather prefer to have a snap out carpet with finished fiberglass and gelcoat throughout the boat. To me it just looks classier. So I elected to have black vinyl instead of carpet.
    Last edited by thesack; 02-06-2011 at 04:38 PM.
    Nate

you really need a 12-15 to get a good solid bass response. look at any cars that are competing on the sound circuit(sq, not db drags) and you'll see 12's. look at any true home theater setup and you'll see dedicated powered subs, most using a 12-15" driver, or if a 10, usually a passive radiator in the 12" size. it's not about being a cocktail cove person, it's about having a balanced system.

sack-totally agree with the snapout carpet statement. wish skiers was this way...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

There's a lot more to this than just "boom boom". It's all about the overall sound and how it blends. With these setups you have audiophile quality if done right that compliments the whole sound experience. As Brian said the added 3dB of ouput is huge in the sound quality, not neccessarily the noise output.

Trying to extend bass to a rider is a big no-no anyway, it would never work and just muddy any sound your trying to project back. This setup is awesome anytime, not just for the cocktail cove. When we are moving the system is playing, maybe blended at various zones but always playing.

IF quality is important to you then this is your setup, if not then stay with a small sealed setup and retain your legroom. Personally I've never used the legroom and really don't miss it.

I wouldn't want carpet on the fascia imo. It compliments the stock dash color for one and extends the color theme perfectly. Carpet would just get dirty and collect all kinds of crap. Personally i think there is such a thing as too much carpet as well. A quick wipe with 303 and the fascia always looks good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Mobius LSV

Ed, soon you will be on a boat with the "boom boom" speaker
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Got the new speaker wires ran thru the tower today-what a pain in the arse that is. Test fitted the sub box-thing is huge, now I just need the ups driver to show up with some Exile box's
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I agree painted fiberglass looks much cleaner and snap out carpet would be great but that's not what we have. I don't have any black on my dash so I guess it just looked unfinished to me.

Still would love to hear the "quality" difference on a boat. Especially from one of these big 12s or 15s pushing 2500 watts. I only had 600 going to mine and I couldn't blast mine bc I got rattles. I guess if you spend time on the front end fixing all the rattles you are good to go.

Do y'all notice many screws that rattle loose?
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    I agree painted fiberglass looks much cleaner and snap out carpet would be great but that's not what we have. I don't have any black on my dash so I guess it just looked unfinished to me.

Still would love to hear the "quality" difference on a boat. Especially from one of these big 12s or 15s pushing 2500 watts. I only had 600 going to mine and I couldn't blast mine bc I got rattles. I guess if you spend time on the front end fixing all the rattles you are good to go.

Do y'all notice many screws that rattle loose?
    Nope, no screws loose yet! Never had any rattles either so guess i'm good How your setup is done seems to factor in rattles imo. This box is radiating everything out, not up under the dash.

I was pushing mine with only 400 watts last year and it sounded good but was lacking. I'll be pushing it with 1500w this year, Exile Xi1500.1
    2007 Mobius LSV

I don't feel the need for the giant sub either and wouldn't give up the foot room cuz I put my feet against the hump all the time. But, I'll also say that having the sub makes your entire system better. If you have the sub your other in-boat speakers can be run high pass and they'll sound much better-- the sub takes care of the lows. I noticed a huge difference when I added the 5 channel amp and went with the sub. Mine fits up on top of the hump and doesn't use any foot room. So I fall in the "in between" camp. I want a sub just not under my feet and I'm not giving up any space for it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Just asking about this cause I was always curious as to why people put them big uglies in the boat
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Ed, I say the same thing about Crocs

I guess I just picture you guys pulling up to a marina gas station, Cd's dangling from your rear view mirror, your music loud as hell, makes everybody around you leave and your dash boards are rattling like they are gonna fall out. Boom, boom, boom.
    You musta been in Mexico recently, or Miami maybe.

I'm not much for hanging out in cocktail coves competing with a boating neighbor for stereo supremacy. To me, the most important thing about the stereo is getting clear clean music to the rider.
    I'm not either, my lakes are big enough that i don't have to unless it's our normal boating crowd, then i'm supplying the music anyway for the raftup.

But hey - if that's what floats your boat, go for it!!
    Actually fiberglass and foam floats the boat!

Always interesting to read about the differences we all share
    Now that we can agree on ...
    2007 Mobius LSV