Thread: Asbestos

Default Asbestos

While getting ready to do some remodeling at my perfect utopia (lake cabin built in 62) I have a sneaky suspicion that the accoustic ceiling tiles throughout the entire cabin likely contain asbestos. I'm taking a sample of the material the next time I make it out there and having it tested. But, my question is if this is something that I could remove with a respirator, suit and some plastic sheeting or should I have it hired out? It's about 1000 sq/ft and was given an initial estimate of 4k for removal. I was expecting a lot more, so, I was pleasantly surprised with the estimate.

I was planning on taking down the old tiles and sheet rocking over. I understand that encapsulating the material is an effective way to remove any hazard. Besides safety, my biggest concern is resale down the road and if that would be an issue if I was to just rock over the tiles and not remove it. Any experience with a similar situation?
    2013 Mobius LSV
    2004 Centurion T5

I would quietly do it myself-- but that's me. I don't like inviting the government to be in charge of a project. One dumbass inspector can cost you an extra million dollars.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I would quietly do it myself-- but that's me. I don't like inviting the government to be in charge of a project. One dumbass inspector can cost you an extra million dollars.
    IM with Kane on this, i have watched it removed several times and they wear a suit so it doesnt get one them, a resperator so they dont breath it, and they lightly spray it with water so theres less dust. Bag it up and take it out.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

FYI, the people who got really sick from the stuff were exposed for periods of years. Not that you shouldn't be careful but the sun causes cancer too, right??
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Do it yourself, the costs for what they really do are unreal. Do it one room at a time, wet the entire ceiling with a spray bottle and put it on heavy. It will clump up and you can scrape it right off. Soon as you are done with that room, open the windows and throw a fan in the room for about an hour to clear all the lingering air... Then move room to room... should be fine!
    2014 Moomba Mojo- Exiled Out!!
    04 XLV- 2 REV 10's & REV410- All JL Audio amps