Default Winterizing Ballast System Without Removing The Bags

I was wondering if any one knows how to winterize a ballast system (pumps & bags) without removing the bags?

My '17 Mondo was easy as I removed the bags and then cycled plumbing antifreeze through the lines until it ran out from the bottom of the boat.

Now, with my '20 Kaiyen there are now multiple sub-floor bags which are not a concern in the stern and mid-ship, but I am worried that I won't be able to reach the lines for the sub-floor bag in the bow through the small hole at the very front of the bow.

My dealer says that they leave all bags in customers boats when winterizing as the want their boats to be key ready when they pick them up in the spring. Although I would prefer to have the bags removed, knowing this, I don't have a problem myself having the bags left in over the winter.

Questions:

1. How would I be able to easily get antifreeze through the systems using the intake on the bottom of the boat?
    2. Is it possible to pour antifreeze through the vent lines that exit the hull, then run the pumps until antifreeze exits out the bottom?

Your expertise would be greatly appreciated.
    2020 Moomba Kaiyen > Finally on my lift!
    2017 Moomba Mondo > Traded
    2000 Moomba Kamberra > Traded

The ballast pumps should be self draining as they are typically mounted high and pointing down to gravity drain.

You should only need to run pumps and watch until the hoses run empty and hear the pumps unload. Might need to tilt boat fire or aft to get the most water out.

Other than that, some residual water in the bags is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Larry, thanks for the advice on this. This partially answers my questions I posted in another thread. Is there any documentation that you know of that confirms this method?
    1977 IMP
    1995 MasterCraft Maristar 225VRS
    2008 Supreme V232
    2021 Supra SA450 (ordered)

Quote Originally Posted by sloane View Post
    Larry, thanks for the advice on this. This partially answers my questions I posted in another thread. Is there any documentation that you know of that confirms this method?
    I doubt anything is documented, but once you understand the bags are flexible, the pumps don’t hold water and the hose/fittings would need to be 90% full for freezing to burst a hose/fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

You could try putting a fake lake over the intake, then using a sump pump in plumbing antifreeze suck some up into the bags, then empty
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I just did this. I poured 2 gallons of pink antifreeze per bag and ran pumps till they offloaded and pink came of ports on bottom of boat. I manipulated the bags to get most of the fluid out. I did the same for the bow bag, but used 4 gallons to make sure the center tank had enough pink antifreeze in it.

I went ahead and pulled my bags so I could clean them and deep clean the boat. Previous owners let some mildew grow and now was the time to clean it all up.

Wasnt very hard, just time consuming. Winterizing the engine was a lot quicker.
    2018 Moomba MOJO
    4100lbs. ENZO's, Center Tank, IBS
    780lbs. Lead Wake
    Raptor 400
    Surf Prop: OJ 945
    2019 Ford F150 FX4
    5.0L V8