Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

I mean, even though it generates vacuum, I wouldnt just be trying to suck it out of something on the ground. Is it really that big of a deal to pick up your antifreeze container to shoulder height or even let it sit on the rear lockers or swim deck while the boat is running? I agree with what everyone else is saying in the last few posts. Id run it for a while to get the engine nice and hot and then I would circulate antifreeze and either completely drain or partially drain all compartments. This ensures that even if you dont get everything drained, well then theres probably antifreeze wherever theres leftover water.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

It ended well anyway. I traded the "antifreeze recirculation" idea by a massive quantity of antifreeze wich eliminate the need for reciculation. I would realy like to see deerfield's steup in action... The only difference between us is that i was pumping across the V-Drive instead of directly into the pump housing.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCaron View Post
    It ended well anyway. I traded the "antifreeze recirculation" idea by a massive quantity of antifreeze wich eliminate the need for reciculation. I would realy like to see deerfield's steup in action... The only difference between us is that i was pumping across the V-Drive instead of directly into the pump housing.
    I'll try and take video when I winterize this year. Built the same setup as Deerfield and tested it out a week ago. Worked like a charm pumping from a catch basin I'll pull the floor and pinch off the dripless shaft line when I do it to minimize lost fluid. I hooked my line to the intake side of the sea strainer which is about 2-3ft. from the intake scupper FYI.

OH - and I also intend to drain after I re-circulate anti-freeze to double up on winterization just to make sure. It can get pretty cold here in Montana dead of winter

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

this method is good as it coats everything with an anticorrosive which may help to prolong seals n gaskets?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    You have the dripless shaft seal, just clamp the hose going to it and none will come out the shaft.......when your done unclamp the hose and most of the exhaust manifold w antifreeeze will drain out the shaft where you can recover it
    DOC - I took your idea on the blue hose to the next level. I installed an inline ball valve to make the winterization easier. Instead of pinching the blue hose, now I simply turn the valve shut to keep antifreeze from flowing out the dripless shaft seal. Found the parts in the plumbing aisle at Home Depot. Check out the pic. - Deerfield
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Stuart - I was thinking of the same thing. Haven't got into it to winterize yet so thanks for posting a finished pic. Looks like you put the ball valve about 1/2 way along the line near the plugs for easy access too? port side? How'd it work?

My only concern would be a reduction in flow due to the fittings but I don't know if it'd be meaningful or not?
    Last edited by viking; 10-16-2010 at 06:31 PM.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

viking - I have not tested it yet, but don't expect to encounter a flow rate issue. The brass assembly is same size diameter as the factory fitting on the dripless shaft seal. I will let you know if there is a problem. Still have not done the antifreeze step. Maybe tomorrow. Here's a pic that gives better context to location of the new ball valve shut off. It runs along the engine port side. - Stuart
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Stuart, is that a diy install? My oem hose comes from between the exhaust drain quick couplerm
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

DOC - It's a DIY install. My Outback did not come from the factory with a quick disconnect feature in the blue hose that runs water to the dripless shaft seal. Below is a picture of the engine before install and after. You can see where I placed the ball valve. - Stuart
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    How'd it work?
    Perfect! Tested today as part of the winterization. Very cool to shut the line to the dripless shaft seal with half a turn of the ball valve. No spilled antifreeze.
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart