Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks!! I already have to many bad experiences with locktite - I was hoping Teflon would work

I put a little vasoline on the threads and o-ring. I then used channel-locks to tighten them. No tape or glue. Just make sure that the o-ring doesn't squeeze out. I haven't had one leak yet.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    you won't need anything for a 2013 LSV other than the new sacs as the fill/drain are the same line with the reversible pumps and vent line off the top will be fine. Everything went to 1" lines in 2013, so just get the right size fittings. Should be about a 30 min job: 5 min to uncover boat, 5 min to unplug old bags & plug in new ones, 20 mins to enjoy a cold one (or two) while admiring your work.
    I third wolfeman. Of course one or two colds ones turned into several more cause I started my charcoal before starting mod thinking it would be ready to cook with by the time I finished the instill. The instill only took me about 5 minutes so I had pertly of time (miller time) waiting on charcoal to admire my work. Then I had to drink a few more once the meat hit the grill. Around here its illegal to grill without a cold one in hand, or at least that's what I keep telling myself.
    Todd

2013 Mobius LSV
    2008 Stingray 205LR sold

Quote Originally Posted by kriley View Post
    Thanks!! I already have to many bad experiences with locktite - I was hoping Teflon would work
    Apparently the first 10 times with Loctite were not good enough for me.....I will let you know how it goes as it involves a heat gun.
    2011 Supra 21V
    2012 Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    Wetsounds Icon8's

Quote Originally Posted by kriley View Post
    The threads on the fly high sacs are straight threads, not tapered pip threads. straight threads do not seal like tapered pipe threads, thats the reason for the oring at the base of the sac fittings. The oring does the sealing and the recommended glue is there to prevent the fitting from backing off. As the fitting backs off, the oring will allow some leakage.

Vaseline is petroleum based and will likely deteriorate the rubber oring. If you need a rubber safe lube, use silicone paste or a marine sealer thats not petroleum based and is safe to be in contact with rubber.
    Last edited by MLA; 09-24-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Vaseline is petroleum based and will likely deteriorate the rubber oring. If you need a rubber safe lube, use silicone paste or a marine sealer thats not petroleum based and is safe to be in contact with rubber.
    I did not know that about vasoline. I will make sure to stop using it and switch to a silicone base.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Some good info in this thread, I just wanted to expand on it a bit for the benefit of anyone that reads it in the future.

- We do not recommend glueing fittings into bags proactively; we deal with far more customers that want to remove fittings that have been cemented in than we deal with leaks or other issues from fittings that weren't glued in place. If you have a bag with fittings that have been cemented in place, what our vide on Removing Glued in Fly High Ballast Bag Fittings.

- Teflon tape, thread sealant or other similar products will typically offer no benefit for our application. As MLA mentioned, Fly High ballast bags used a straight thread pattern (think of a nut on a bolt, you can spin the nut up and down the entire length of the bolt), and because of that, there is no binding effect as you tighten the threads. Additionally, the flange that is built into Fly High ballast bags is slightly pliable, so any material you add to the male threads of the fitting will just cause the female threads to enlarge.

- If you do have issues with leaks occurring and the fitting is fully seated in the flange on the bag, then we recommend using a multi-purpose PVC cement when threading the fitting in place to provide a chemical bond between the bag and the fitting (it can be released as outlined in the video above).

Finally, most 2013 MY boats have fittings cemented into the bag from the factory, so it may (or may not) be worth it for a lot of our customers to order our complete 2013+ Moomba Ballast Upgrade just to make sure they have everything they need in one box.

Default Buying new Ballast - need info

Holy crap that's genius. I have a bag I didn't use all summer because of glued in fittings. I figured heat was the answer but wouldn't have tried my feet and popping it out.
    -Jake

I'm glad you saw our video then, it's like free ballast since you already have the bag!

Thanks Jasonwm! I got the new ballast installed in about 10 minutes - drank a few cold adult beverages, cooked some beef, and got everything ready to see the new wake tomorrow!! I will post some pics on Sunday.. Thanks again for everyone's help.....
    KRiley
    2013 Moomba LSV
    Exile xm9s
    Exile Amps
    Exile sub