Default Wakesurf Rope Length

Believe it or not I've yet to wake surf behind the moomba we purchased this past July, but I think I might give it a shot tomorrow. I borrowed a surfer from a friend. I'm going to make a rope out of an old ski line until I purchase a wake surf rope next season. Can someone tell me how many feet the rope should be the handle attached?

Thanks

Jon
    RIDE: 2002 Moomba Mobius V

TOW VEHICLE: 2002 Chevy Tahoe Z71

SETUP: 2011 142 Slingshot RECOIL 2011 Slingshot RAD Boots

Jclay,
    the Inland Surfer rope is easily sectioned out.
    Each boat will be a bit diff so you'll find you may have to pull yourself into the sweet spot sometimes..
    I find it easier for my wife to have a longer rope and not be so close to the boat when getting up..
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Sled491 Guest

If your using an old ski rope use the last section after the handle, then just pull your self into the pocket, that's what we did before we bought a surf rope. I actually find the ski rope easier to get up with than the surf rope when you don't have a tower. With a tower it's all the same.

You want about 20-30 feet, depending on how long your pocket is. Keep the boat end of it plenty long and make a few ties. You can always move it in or out as you get more comfortable.

I don't think a knotted rope is any more dangerous than a small or large handle. You can get tangled in any of them if you are not careful or they are just too long.

If you are using a regular (small) rope, try tying some tennis balls or solid foam balls near the end for a better grip. Otherwise an old-school tow rope is going to be murder on your hands as you learn.
    -ryan
    '10 Wakesetter LSV

We bought a knotted surf rope with removable sections but we use all of the length it came with and the reason is that then you don't have to get so close to your rider to toss him/her the rope. For us, it has nothing to do with where the pocket is. We come up 10' or more behind the pocket and just pull ourselves up to it then toss the rope in. If you are using a thin rope that is not as easy on the hands to grab, then I could see why you would want to minimize the length of the rope.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I use the Ronix surf rope. It has a very small handle and it's very thick with spongy hand grips every 2-3ft to pull yourself up. I believe it's 22ft. You shouldn't need more than 22-25ft of rope

some range from 16 ft to 26ft. depending on how you will use it.

last year we pulled out the long section of our ski rope and reverse it so we had a short rope with adjustments. bought the LF surf rope this an love it.

Here is a few ,

http://www.bartswatersports.com/cata...opes/index.asp
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    some range from 16 ft to 26ft. depending on how you will use it.

last year we pulled out the long section of our ski rope and reverse it so we had a short rope with adjustments. bought the LF surf rope this an love it.

Here is a few ,

http://www.bartswatersports.com/cata...opes/index.asp
    We have the one in the bottom middle and love it. I wanted one without a handle.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Sled491 Guest

We have one similar to the 2nd liquid force rope, just love it.

This thread has got me to thinking. The length is adjustable and to be honest we have been like Cab keeping it long to help with getting the rope to the rider. However my 2 little ones have a lot of trouble pulling themselves into the pocket, if they can even do it at all. A lot of times we'll sit in the back corner of the boat and try to pull them into the pocket. I may try shortening the length for the little ones to help with this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sled491 View Post
    We have one similar to the 2nd liquid force rope, just love it.

This thread has got me to thinking. The length is adjustable and to be honest we have been like Cab keeping it long to help with getting the rope to the rider. However my 2 little ones have a lot of trouble pulling themselves into the pocket, if they can even do it at all. A lot of times we'll sit in the back corner of the boat and try to pull them into the pocket. I may try shortening the length for the little ones to help with this problem.
    When I drive or when my friend's drive my boat, we always hand/toss the rope when pulling up next to the rider when surfing because of the short length.