Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: perko switch

Default perko switch

ok here's the deal before my boat left the dealer who is about 5 hours away i had them add a second battery and perko switch cause i knew i'd be adding tower speakers sub and amp.

he must have things wired up completely wrong or else i don't understand the concept of this thing

it has bat 1 , bat 2, all , and off and lock

now the radio, horn, lights and everything work no matter what place i select on the perko switch. should everything be dead on off or am i wrong?
    what i intended is have battery 1 be the main battery for starting and battery 2 be for the stereo when i'm anchored out relaxing so if i kill bat 2 i can switch it to 1 and i'll still be able to start it then when i'm running switch it to all and let it recharge both batteries then when i get home and am done for the day turn it to off so i know there is no drain on the either battery.

if i'm wrong in my thinking i apoligize but if i'm right can someone please tell me how to wire it up correctly so i don't kill both batteries and leave myself stranded someday.

also i've been reading post about the blue ray and pro mariner chargers...can i get any insight as to if should add this to my system and why.

sorry to sound like such an idiot but all this is kinda new to me.
    thanks in advance

Gus,

With a Perko switch, everything including the starter/alternator, helm buss and all stereo electronics are connected to the Perko common post. So, everything shuts down when in the 'off' position. The only exceptions might be a bilge pump/float switch and stereo memory if those are important issues for your storage scenario. There is no other way. This avoids multiple problems.

The reasons for a dual-bank multi-stage charger include but are not limited to:
    • To keep battery(s) maintained during long storage periods where lead-acid batteries may self-discharge 3 to 4 percent a month.
    • Totally recharge/condition/desulphate battery(s) after long periods at rest while playing your stereo since the alternator is unlikely to accomplish this in a reasonable time frame and particularly if you have a large audio system.
    • Extend your playtime each following weekend and prolong your battery's lifespan over multiple seasons.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    Gus,

With a Perko switch, everything including the starter/alternator, helm buss and all stereo electronics are connected to the Perko common post. So, everything shuts down when in the 'off' position. The only exceptions might be a bilge pump/float switch and stereo memory if those are important issues for your storage scenario. There is no other way. This avoids multiple problems.

The reasons for a dual-bank multi-stage charger include but are not limited to:
    • To keep battery(s) maintained during long storage periods where lead-acid batteries may self-discharge 3 to 4 percent a month.
    • Totally recharge/condition/desulphate battery(s) after long periods at rest while playing your stereo since the alternator is unlikely to accomplish this in a reasonable time frame and particularly if you have a large audio system.
    • Extend your playtime each following weekend and prolong your battery's lifespan over multiple seasons.

David
    Earmark Marine
    hey thanks david for the quick response. i shot ya an email i'd like to talk with you personally about one of these units to add to my audio system

I think its wired wrong. Sounds to me like they ran your main power directly off the battery.

Im running a perko and have everything wired to my possitive like David mentioned. When I turn the switch to off theres no power to anything on the boat. Oh except my Sub amp witch is wired directly off my 2nd battery bank. Also you want to make sure on the amp rating for the switch, think mines 250 amps. Thats why im running my sub amp directly off the battery and my other two amps off the switch, I was affraid all three amps maybe too much for the switch.

Oh also you'll want to make sure you have two alike or same batteries before you combine them on that switch in the all possition. Could cause you some problems if not. You also need to realize that if your stereo battery is drained down and you combine them they will equal out. You'll basically be drawing your starting battery down to the other battery.
    06 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by byronkoz View Post
    I think its wired wrong. Sounds to me like they ran your main power directly off the battery.

Im running a perko and have everything wired to my possitive like David mentioned. When I turn the switch to off theres no power to anything on the boat. Oh except my Sub amp witch is wired directly off my 2nd battery bank. Also you want to make sure on the amp rating for the switch, think mines 250 amps. Thats why im running my sub amp directly off the battery and my other two amps off the switch, I was affraid all three amps maybe too much for the switch.

Oh also you'll want to make sure you have two alike or same batteries before you combine them on that switch in the all possition. Could cause you some problems if not. You also need to realize that if your stereo battery is drained down and you combine them they will equal out. You'll basically be drawing your starting battery down to the other battery.
    thanks byron thats what i thought as well

i'm only running two amps 700 and 450 watt will i be ok there?

what do ya mean two alike batteries what do i check to make sure they are alike. the second one was installed by that dealer but he f'ed up the perko swtich so all i know he got some cheap ass battery and said so long! i'm 5 hours away so thats why i'm not dealing with him on this and unlike some of you guys who are close to good people like earmark marine... i don't know of anyone around me in ohio to go to for this stuff

Byron,

You should move your sub amplifier over to the Perko also. By the way, Perko has a black switch with higher capacity and 3/8-inch studs. But I think the red one should be fine.

Presently, if the source electronics were connected to the starting battery by accident and one amplifier is wired to an alternate battery, the different battery voltages could attempt to level and circumvent the isolation through the RCA ground shields (even though these may be 1000 ohms above ground). The first issue is the potential for noise. The larger issue is I wouldn't want DC voltage flowing on a circuit that's connected to a fragile OP amp, particularly on the source unit preouts.

This is just one of several reasons why there is only one good way to wire a Perko swtich.

David
    Earmark Marine

Thanks for the advice David. I'll definately do that.

Gus, by two alike batteries I ment 2 Gel or 2 lead-acid batteries. There maybe other things to consider but far as I know, these are the most important if your going to combine two batteries or hook them together.

Oh and I feel ya on the dealer thing. My dealer is only 10 miles from me and they may as well be 1000. Not happy with them at all and I actaully go through a dealer 700 miles south of me for parts and have them shipped directly to my door. Works out much better.
    Last edited by byronkoz; 04-08-2010 at 10:33 PM.
    06 Outback V

Gus,

My dealer as well screwed up installing the second battery, Perko, and towers I negociated in with the sale. Not in the Perko, but rather they had it wired so that there was so much noise that I could not even idle the boat with the radio on. They had my boat for 5 days and made it worse. I took it to Earmark Marine 3 hrs away for a custom system (see my post). David is very big on not over engineering a system when it's not needed. Even with my system, David pretty much insisted that the Perko is all pretty much everyone needs in simple to highend systems. Plus, whether in person or over the phone, I like the way David can "dumb it down" for us mortals to understand.

Ok, I am in the same boat at the OP. When I turn my perko to off, everything will still function. This includes stereo, ballast, you name it. What exactly should I move around to hook it up correctly? Presently, could this cause me to drain both batts even if the switch is set to only one batt? Mine was also dealer installed.

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    Ok, I am in the same boat at the OP. When I turn my perko to off, everything will still function. This includes stereo, ballast, you name it. What exactly should I move around to hook it up correctly? Presently, could this cause me to drain both batts even if the switch is set to only one batt? Mine was also dealer installed.
    The possitive from your wiring harness (the one with the 50 amp breaker) should be hooked to your "both" or "all" terminal on the switch. If its hooked dirrectly to a one of the batteries then it will be hot all the time unless you dissconnect the battery its hooked to.
    06 Outback V