Thread: Amp tuning

Default Amp tuning

Anyone able to give an audio illiterate a guide to tuning my amps? Not sure if they even need it but i dont feel like my tower speakers are doing what they are capable of but then again maybe im expecting to much.....Im running the fusion tower speakers that have 3 speakers to each side.......as i said maybe im expecting to much........any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys
    2005 Moomba Outback

Okay, this may be a dumb question but I'm asking it anyway. I am running three amps. All my speakers are overpowered around 15-20%. So when a guy is trying to "tune" one at a time should they disconnect the other 2 amps so you're only hearing the sound from that particular seat of speakers?

Kill the tower and sub - adjust for the cabin speakers.
    Kill the cabin and sub - adjust for the tower speakers
    Kill the cabin and tower - adjust for the sub(s)??

I don't think my ears are well trained enough to determine if distortion is coming from one set over the other with them all going at once, and I have a gut feeling I could also benefit from some tweaking.

I'll have to do this on the water as I'm sure my neighbors would have the Sheriff paying me a visit with very much driveway tuning...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Okay, this may be a dumb question but I'm asking it anyway. I am running three amps. All my speakers are overpowered around 15-20%. So when a guy is trying to "tune" one at a time should they disconnect the other 2 amps so you're only hearing the sound from that particular seat of speakers?

Kill the tower and sub - adjust for the cabin speakers.
    Kill the cabin and sub - adjust for the tower speakers
    Kill the cabin and tower - adjust for the sub(s)??

I don't think my ears are well trained enough to determine if distortion is coming from one set over the other with them all going at once, and I have a gut feeling I could also benefit from some tweaking.

I'll have to do this on the water as I'm sure my neighbors would have the Sheriff paying me a visit with very much driveway tuning...
    It is usually a good idea when dealing with separate zones, (tower, in-boat, bowrider, cabin etc.) to kill the previously set zone before moving to the next. this can often be accomplished by temporarily disconnecting the remote turn on lead for any amp you are done tuning. You can also use zone controllers or your head unit fader to isolate a zone.

There are a few pointers though. Generally you will want to blend the sub with the full-range in-boat speakers, so you will want to tune one first, then bring the other in for blending, (so like get your full range speakers going, then add the sub). If however you cannot get the sub to come up to the full range speakers you will want to turn the in-boat full range speakers DOWN after tuning.

Then also, after tuning each and all zones and you put the whole system together, if one zone can't keep up, know that you need to turn all others DOWN to the weak zone's capabilities. After tuning all zones, you never want to turn a zone UP due to the fact that you already had it at, (hopefully) unity gain.

I hope that makes sense...

The simple answer to your question is: YES...

Phil
    Kicker

Yep, one set at a time.

Edit: I knew one of our audio guys would give you a more detailed answer.

Thanks - very helpful. Sorry if I highjacked your thread here but one more question since I got Phil's ear.

Kicker ZX amps and x-over settings:
    - Turn on low-pass filter for the sub (no brainer)
    - Turn on high-pass filter for the cabins ?
    - Turn on high-pass filter for the towers ?

Then tune per all the instructions?

Ok - maybe that was more than one...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Thanks - very helpful. Sorry if I highjacked your thread here but one more question since I got Phil's ear.

Kicker ZX amps and x-over settings:
    - Turn on low-pass filter for the sub (no brainer)
    - Turn on high-pass filter for the cabins ?
    - Turn on high-pass filter for the towers ?

Then tune per all the instructions?

Ok - maybe that was more than one...
    Real simple answer:
    Yes!

You got it.

Moomba Owners shortest informational tech post...

Phil
    Kicker