Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I'm a numbers guy, so I can appreciate the work! That said I'm in the "some things are better left unknown" camp.

If you must do this, you've might consider factoring in residual value at the end of your loan. In that case the payment only matters for calculating your interest, and your cost/hr is driven off depreciation. You've got it structured like a lease right now, which is fair if you always plan to have a boat payment I guess.

I have to look at it like some of the others - the great times and memories that I will never forget! The smiles and laughter, and the accomplishments of my two boys - the success of wake-boarding, the success of riding a wave behind the boat, and the time that as a parent we actually spend with our kids - "Quality Time"... This to me is worth much more than the $ per month spent - Priceless!!
    KRiley
    2013 Moomba LSV
    Exile xm9s
    Exile Amps
    Exile sub

Quote Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
    When it comes time to sit down with the wife and talk cost I need to be very prepared.
    Time for a new wife. You need to find a wife like Claudia (Mikes, MMandley's wife). I am suppressed they did not purchase the Supra SC during the demo. If it was only a few feet longer.

Now I enjoy numbers and have everything budgeted out and really enjoy the sheet you made. I also have to say some things are much better left unknown. Keeps the drinking line item on the budget down.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Quote Originally Posted by jester View Post
    Time for a new wife. You need to find a wife like Claudia (Mikes, MMandley's wife). I am suppressed they did not purchase the Supra SC during the demo. If it was only a few feet longer.

Now I enjoy numbers and have everything budgeted out and really enjoy the sheet you made. I also have to say some things are much better left unknown. Keeps the drinking line item on the budget down.
    You must be reffering to her screaming over and over WE ARE BYING THIS BOAT!!! LOL

Yea I can't complain about Claudia and the boat, she never says no when it comes to the boat.

All though she did mention just last night that by the time Oct comes around she is ready to put the boat away.
    I think this might be due to the 3 days a week at minimum I have the boat in the water. Plus the several 4 day weekends we go places with it. Shes a trooper though, because she gets up at 5am to goto work early to be off at 3pm so she can get to the lake and surf on her work days. I'm lucky in the fact we only boat on 1 day a week before I have to work. Thats every other Tuesday LOL.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

im with Mmandley in the truck should be calculated in too, if we had a smaller boat, I would not have this truck to pull it
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

No matter what boat you have... it will always just be a hole in the water to throw money in. That said, I wouldn't trade the time with family and friends for anything.

I hear you on being prepared for the wife conversation, certainly want her in agreement with you purchase decision. I think it would be best to justify the "need" for a newer/larger/better boat... then show her some of the "amazing" six figure boats on the market... then show her a more reasonably priced Moomba that your really want. It worked for me... on both of the boats I've purchased!
    2022 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 (sold)

Tow - 2019 Ford F150 Ecoboost

I bet many others on this board boating life started in a similar way to this.......... One cold snowy January day at a boat show when I was 2 years old my dad turned to my mom and said " 1500.00 down and 50.00 a month that's ALLLLLL it cost us to own a boat".

That's turned into our family's punch line.

Every time we "Bust Out Another Thousand" we laugh at dad and mom standing at the boat show. But all the fun and the memories we've made on the lake is priceless. For me....... I couldn't make a spread sheet big enough to fit the smiles on our girls faces when we are on the boat!!
    2014 MOOMBA LSV
    1998 Response LX (sold)

Default Boat Cost Calculator

That hourly cost isn't to bad when you think about how much it is to rent a jet ski for an hour for two people at the beach.
    Rusty

2013 Mojo

Default Boat Cost Calculator

Best way to fix this is increasing the hours each year.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    If you must do this, you've might consider factoring in residual value at the end of your loan. In that case the payment only matters for calculating your interest, and your cost/hr is driven off depreciation. You've got it structured like a lease right now, which is fair if you always plan to have a boat payment I guess.
    This is an important point. Cash flow is not the same thing as cost. Your cost is the interest plus depreciation. The cash that you pay towards principle (less depreciation) is not a cost. You are moving money from cash to an asset. For example, if your friends/riders all split the cost as you calculated, then at the end of 10 years when the loan is paid off, would it be fair that you own a boat worth some value (say $15k) even though everyone paid the same?
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold