Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

black, fwiw, I started out with a launch20ssv(much smaller than the mojo) and had a '99 ranger 4x4. I only towed to the ramp 2x and sold the truck(15mile tow one way). granted it had the 3.0, not the 4.0 so it was a dog going up the hills but the boat really pushed the truck around when you tried to stop and it just didn't feel "right". With a lighter boat like the obv, I'd say try it, but that mojo and a small suv are a recipe for a mess. Granted the truck doesn't owe you anything but it's worth a lot more now to upgrade than dead on the side of the road with melted brakes or a tranny that grenaded everywhere
    don't forget trailer, and more importantly beer in your calculations....

oh and congrats on the new boat. you are going to love it... sounds like a steal on the surf engine..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by blackcup View Post
    Wow thanks for all the responses. I definitely have some thinking to do about the Pathfinder.

@Mike/Patrick - that is definitely has the Nissan is now. With the Four Winns on the back it feels like a dream so I figured it would be able to handle the extra weight. I wouldn't be going more than 20 miles to the launch but it could definitely be pushing it just like you said. Would the biggest issue be braking/tranny wear? The truck is an '01 that I picked up at a repo auction for only 2.5K. It still drives like it is brand new ... have had it for 2 years now and haven't put a cent into it. Pulled our FW through the mountain passes, moved our entire house w/ a big ass uHaul behind and then drive 5k from the west coast to the east. Maybe this is a f*cked up perspective but this truck doesn't owe me anything ... at some point it will need to be replaced and if this makes that happen a little quicker than I am OK with that. I just don't want to put any lives at risk.

Got off the phone with the dealer this morning and get this ... he is upgrading me to the 345 for $400 more!?!?! Definitely cant turn that one down ...

I'm going to skip the walkthrough and the bow speakers. I can do the speakers on my own if i think they need it. Also going with the 1235 prop.

I am out of town on work until the end of Feb so I can't give it a test run with the Pathfinder. Sooooooooooo really at this point in time its a go just pending the trailering issue??
    Based on the go for the Mojo and worry about the truck later if it gives you issues. Sounds like the Pathfinder has served you well.

Congrats

You always have the option of, keep the Pathfinder, try it out, if it doesn't work then go buy a cheap 1/2 ton truck to tow the boat in the summers.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

ya very valid points for both sides. if i need to get a new towing vehicle then the boat is outta the question. just cant stretch it that far right now.

I'm leaning towards giving it a shot and worst case scenario I will just grab a cheap 1/2 ton for towing. Luckily its all super flat here or else I would be very hesitant.

So I just got off the phone with my Nissan dealership and they said that pushing 57-5800 will be stretching it (As many here have said). He recommended dropping down the to Mondo.

I am looking at pricing etc. Is the 345 recommended on the Mondo as well? Dealer is saying 330 is plenty with the 1235 prop.

A 50k boat decision dictated by a few hundred pounds and a 2.5k tow vehicle that owes you nothing? Because of what Joe at Nissan said?

I'd still opt for the 345. Not for the extra power but for the design (insert technical info) and resale value. I bet the 330 would get the job done though. Might even be able to get them to honor the upgrade price they were giving you on the mojo?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

^what I was thinking. buy the boat you like/want and you won't look back. upgrade the tow vehicle with a cheap 1/2ton truck for a few $$. don't need a brand new duramax to tow it with
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

If you are buying a new boat, buy the boat you want. Don't buy a boat to match a vehicle.
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV Ballast III (stock), Heater, Roswell Quad Spin Pro, Bimini

Quote Originally Posted by drb59 View Post
    If you are buying a new boat, buy the boat you want. Don't buy a boat to match a vehicle.
    That's easy for us to say, but if he only has budget for a boat and not for a new/used tow vehicle too, then it doesn't make much sense to have the boat that he wants if he can't tow it anywhere.

At the end of the day it's his decision which way to go, all we can really do is give him "food for thought" and I think all of these posts have done that plus some.

Either way -- whether Mojo or Mondo or even OBV -- I think we could all agree that he would enjoy the new boat over his current runabout hands down!!
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

All good points for sure.

I would be 100% happy with either the Mojo or Mondo. Obviously the Mojo would be my first choice but realistically it is just my wife and I and our friends - at most 4 others out with us. The Mondo did feel a lot bigger than any other 20 footer.

Any other suggestions on the 330 vs 345 on the Mondo?