Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    placed on inner and outer sides of both brackets between the rear of the boat bracket and the rear of the platform bracket.
    Hey Doc, does that mean the shim essentially wrapped around the bracket attached to the platform?
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

Quote Originally Posted by mnpracing View Post
    If i'm looking at this correctly, you added some length to the bracket so now the bracket on the platform extends below the transom bracket. And you also welded some thickness near the top (widest) portion of the platform bracket to fill the gap and wedge the brackets together. Is that about right? Did you also add thickness to the entire length of the platform bracket?
    Basically in the picture (top: before, bottom: present) below I added some material at the bottom to close the gap I had between the deck bracket and the transom bracket to eliminate the slop... and in the circle thats what one side of my bracket looked like, so I cut it out and reformed it the way they come factory. The other side was wearing the same so I just did it too.

2004 Moomba LSV Blue

Quote Originally Posted by mnpracing View Post
    Hey Doc, does that mean the shim essentially wrapped around the bracket attached to the platform?
    No I used 4 shims. I put the first 2 in. Cutting them. With tin snips and figures 4 would be better than 2. The platform is a tad higher out of the water as the shims keep it higher but its rock solid.....just ope its easy to tap the shims up in the fall. But I reaLly like the rigidity when sitting at a dock and rollers come in
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    No I used 4 shims. I put the first 2 in. Cutting them. With tin snips and figures 4 would be better than 2. The platform is a tad higher out of the water as the shims keep it higher but its rock solid.....just ope its easy to tap the shims up in the fall. But I reaLly like the rigidity when sitting at a dock and rollers come in
    do you happen to have pictures of your setup? I'm having a hard time visualizing how you did it. How would the platform sit higher with the shims, as the pin still has to go through the hole in both brackets right? Thanks for your help, I'm trying to figure out how to do this on mine.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

I have the same gap at the top of the bracket. I tried something really simple today - I stuck a stainless lock washer in the gap from the top. It went in about halfway and completely eliminated the slop. I was afraid i was going to have a hard time getting it out afterwards but i was able to remove it no problem with needle nose pliers.

I have to remove my platform every time i put it in the garage so I didn't want to do anyhing that would be hard to remove.

Guess I'll keep doimg this until i find a better way.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    I have the same gap at the top of the bracket. I tried something really simple today - I stuck a stainless lock washer in the gap from the top. It went in about halfway and completely eliminated the slop. I was afraid i was going to have a hard time getting it out afterwards but i was able to remove it no problem with needle nose pliers.

I have to remove my platform every time i put it in the garage so I didn't want to do anyhing that would be hard to remove.

Guess I'll keep doimg this until i find a better way.
    Today I used a composite shim from home depot. It's the kind of shim that is used to shim a toilet seat . I broke them off flush with the top of the platform sot that I had something to grab onto to remove it. It seemed to work well today. I also bought a set of plastic bond scrapers from the automotive aisle to try. I cut them to the width of the bracket. I'll try them next time out.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

I used the shims, but they have developed some slop to them after the season.

going to brainstorm a much more long term fix this winter.

the shims are a good cheap alternative, but it makes removing the platform kind of a pita. the new house I'm going into will not allow the platform to stay on, so I need something removable.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Here are some pics, took about 5 mins to cut and place these....I know they look ghetto but they work and the platform is rock solid.....I also like the SS washer idea as it is def easier to install......may try that one later
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I need to do this. My platform is not horrible and seems to only have slop on one side, but I see how it could get worse quickly.

For those using washers as shims, could you explain to me a bit more how you get them back out to remove the platform? I think someone mentioned needlenose pliers but mine are way to thick to be able to use to remove the washer once it drops down betwwen the brackets
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by KSmith View Post
    I need to do this. My platform is not horrible and seems to only have slop on one side, but I see how it could get worse quickly.

For those using washers as shims, could you explain to me a bit more how you get them back out to remove the platform? I think someone mentioned needlenose pliers but mine are way to thick to be able to use to remove the washer once it drops down betwwen the brackets
    I have probably posted this before, it seems like the teak ones don't have these problems. Ours doesn't, not sure the luxury of the soft pad is worth all this work?