Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    ...I not sure on the stepped lighting...can get expensive quick if you start messing around with electrical especially if you don't have a dedicated panel for power...
    The stepped lighting is real simple with 4' fluorescents as it is not a true stepped lighting system. You just need to add two more switches (or four if you have two doors for running three ways). The real simple and cheap way is just to put every third light on the first switch circuit, another third of the lights on the second switch and the last third of the lights on the last switch.

The trick way is when we run multiple ballast in a bunch of four-bulb fluorescent fixtures, then we wire one bulb in each fixture to the first switch, a second bulb to the second switch and the last two bulbs on the third switch. It gives a way to add false dimming to a garage full of 4' fluorescents.

Either way, (I would just do the first as it is cheap) you still just run one circuit into your first three-gang switch box by the man-door. Switches are CHEAP! and it is just a little more Romex for the switch leg drops.

eric, you have outlets 12" off the ground in a garage? every place I've ever been has been 4ft in the garage as standard. I would think code would prevent low outlets in a garage as being legal unless you are finishing a garage as livable space.
    Yeah, around hear, we always insulate, rock, tape and do at least a knock-down texture then paint it "Swiss Coffee" which is actually a white color.

And another thing to do is run pvc in the wall and convert to metal pipe to come out of the wall in various locations for your air compressor. Easy to do before you rock in the walls.

And run that speaker wire, coil up a bunch of 14 ga up above the bottom cord of the trusses and use electrical tape to a nail, take photos of where they are. Then you just use the round in-ceiling speakers that hang in-between the bottom cords (or ceiling joists), cut a round hole, which takes about two minutes with the right $18 drywall circle tool and then just reach in with a wire coat hanger (if you are old enough to have see one not made of plastic - Damn! I am old!!) and pull your speaker wires down, hook them up and stuff the speakers in the hole. You can even paint the speakers and covers for a custom look! In my home theatre I used the cheap Monoprice speakers for my rear surrounds, painted them black and left the covers off, everybody thinks that they are some high end custom units because I have a decent set of front L-R-C Martin Logans. Also, home run each speaker run and don't daisy chain them as it gives you more flexibility.

Anyway, I will now get off of my soapbox and good luck with your project, it looks awesome (except for them damn snakes!!!)
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

Default Re: Detached garage progress...

A little more progress today. Hoping to tar paper all of the roofing tomorrow and finish all the siding.

Rear view of the old and new tied together. Maximized storage in the roof of the old!

Truck on the boat side
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    Looks great!! It even looks like you have a covered little cubby hole that goes to the ground to store all kinds of cool crap!!
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

why did you build your smaller storage area "cockeyed" to the shop?

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

That's where it was too begin with. We reused the existing slab. Didn't have much of a choice on its angle. The space between the two slabs will be floored on the inside and we will have an access door on the back side to close in the underneath storage area. From the road view when driving by the storage room can't be seen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

I love the interior floor drain, that is a great idea
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    It even looks like you have a covered little cubby hole that goes to the ground to store all kinds of cool crap!!
    Yeah, great place for snakes to hide...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

That would sure make it easy for me to wrangle them up!
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quick update. Doors are being installed as we speak.

Only lighting in these two pics are from that center led light. It's a Rab CLED2x20. It is on a motion sensor aimed at both doors. When either door opens it comes on and provides enough light to be able to see while backing the boat in without having to get out and turn a light on.

2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold