Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Equalizer

As posted above, "Seriously, who needs to have a knob to change the phase of the sub on the eq???? Likewise, do I need to change the crossover frequency of my sub on the fly? Um, no."

I actually have a real problem with a redundant sub crossover on the EQ when every contemporary amplifier already has a much better crossover built-in. Really a dumb feature IMO. There is no corresponding highpass crossover on the EQ and you can't totally defeat the EQ crossover. So even if I set it at the highest frequency in a bypass attempt in order to use the amplifier crossover I have to deal with a cascaded phase rotation (one phase alteration right atop the other). I don't want to change the lowpass 'crossover' or the 'phase' on the fly. I want to set all this up precisely at the point of system tuning. I want a very narrow overlap between the highpass and lowpass filters so I can preserve the phase integrity as much as possible. Over-lapping or under-lapping just creates nasty ripples in the response. On an amplifier you can read the crossover frequency for both filters and you know that both filter slopes & types are the same. An EQ crossover is like a box of chocolates. Just a complete unknown. When you feel as though you want to adjust the controls with every new song that is an indication that it wasn't set up right from the beginning. Heck, you already have a bass level control for moderate adjustments on the fly.

On another note, I can't imagine choosing a single EQ versus a dual zone EQ like the Wetsounds even if the Wetsounds was $100 more. The ability to adjust tower speaker tonal characteristics independently from the in-boat speakers is HUGE!

The Clarion EQ is cheaper thann the Kicker ZXM-RLC, what am I missing?
    2007 LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Beejwest View Post
    Just a few bucks if you go with the Kicker.

Default Equalizer

Quote Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
    Just a few bucks if you go with the Kicker.
    Would the kicker provide a place to plug in an input jack from a phone or ability to turn up the gain for the input? I think that is called a line driver, not sure.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

The Kicker is a marine unit and the clarion is a car EQ

Its a 9V per chnl line driver and the clarion likely splits its voltage between the front and rear chnls

its true zone volume control, not fade

can be panel or surface mounted

short RCA runs as the "brain" is mounted by the amps and data cables are used to connect the control knobs

Quote Originally Posted by Boonejeepin View Post
    Would the kicker provide a place to plug in an input jack from a phone or ability to turn up the gain for the input? I think that is called a line driver, not sure.
    If you have a head-unit, just connect to th head-units AUX. You can also go head-unit delete, and use a 3.5mm x RCA into the ZXM-RLC.

OK, with the Kicker, help me out with my system here. I have tower and sub on an alpine PDX, and the cab on a Kenwood amp. If I use the kicker, I'd be adjusting the sub/tower at the same time, right?
    2007 LSV

Oh, and one more question on the Kicker. The wiring diagram shows the amp going into the RLC, but nothing coming back out...how do you hook this thing up, and how does it work?

Do the RCA lines from the HU still go to the amp, but need to be split?
    2007 LSV

OK, with the Kicker, help me out with my system here. I have tower and sub on an alpine PDX, and the cab on a Kenwood amp. If I use the kicker, I'd be adjusting the sub/tower at the same time, right?
    Not necessarily. What model PDX is it and what model Kenwood? if you are not sure, do you by chance know whether they are 2, 4 or a 5 chnl amp?

Oh, and one more question on the Kicker. The wiring diagram shows the amp going into the RLC, but nothing coming back out...how do you hook this thing up, and how does it work?

Do the RCA lines from the HU still go to the amp, but need to be split?
    The head-unit feed into the ZXM with a single stereo RCA. The ZXM has 2 zones. Each zone will connect to an amp, or 2 depending on the setup. So, like an EQ, the ZXM is between the head-unit and amps along the signal.