Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Safety Question? Just tossing it out there...............

Love seeing all the pictures of everyone having fun and enjoying what we love to do.

I have a question and don't want to upset anyone but I see quite a few pictures of kids on this site enjoying wakeboarding and doing very well at it.

My question is this - as a pure slalom skier and barefooter (nothing else) I wonder why some kids aren't wearing helmets when wakeboarding?

My 15 year old daughter slalom ski's, barefoots, and wakeboards amoung all the other silly things she likes to do out on the water. But I ALWAYS make her wear a helmet when she is wakeboarding! Reason is simple. Friends bro is a doctor and said kids heads will hit the water WAY harder falling on a wakeboard than any other instrument or toy we use on the water purely based on simple fact of catching an edge and body positioning when the slam happens.

I wonder why some of you say it's ok or why you're ok without using a lid until they get good?

My daughter fought me once on wearing it and on the very next ride bit it hard and was crying when we came back to pick her up. She has NEVER argued since that day.

Just looking for some response and feedback is all? Please remember I'm NOT pointing fingers here at anyone or saying I'm right! Just looking for response!
    2014 Centurion Carbon Pro

2004 Ski Nautique 196 LE - SOLD
    2004 Outback DD - SOLD
    1995 Supra TSM6 Comp - SOLD

2017 - 67" Radar Lithium Vapor Pro Build w/ Radar Vapor Boa Bindings

Stay STACKED & Pull HARD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iwaterskihard View Post
    Love seeing all the pictures of everyone having fun and enjoying what we love to do.

I have a question and don't want to upset anyone but I see quite a few pictures of kids on this site enjoying wakeboarding and doing very well at it.

My question is this - as a pure slalom skier and barefooter (nothing else) I wonder why some kids aren't wearing helmets when wakeboarding?

My 15 year old daughter slalom ski's, barefoots, and wakeboards amoung all the other silly things she likes to do out on the water. But I ALWAYS make her wear a helmet when she is wakeboarding! Reason is simple. Friends bro is a doctor and said kids heads will hit the water WAY harder falling on a wakeboard than any other instrument or toy we use on the water purely based on simple fact of catching an edge and body positioning when the slam happens.

I wonder why some of you say it's ok or why you're ok without using a lid until they get good?

My daughter fought me once on wearing it and on the very next ride bit it hard and was crying when we came back to pick her up. She has NEVER argued since that day.

Just looking for some response and feedback is all? Please remember I'm NOT pointing fingers here at anyone or saying I'm right! Just looking for response!
    My kids don't wear helmets just due to the simple fact that I think that catching an edge followed by catching the edge of the helmet hitting the water will do more harm than good.

I ride a lot faster, harder, and have a lot farther to call than my kids. I have torn the inside of my eyelid, yet never suffered a concussion. Of all the wakeboarders I have ever known, I have yet to meet a concussion victim.

I also have progressively moved my kids up in speed. I started them at 14 and both have worked up to 19.5 and 16.5. They don't go faster until they stop catching edges. For learning new tricks, we slow back down to 16.

A helmet may seem intuitive, but my kids will not wear one unless they go to a cable park. If there were any proof at all that a helmet would prevent injury, I would consider it. As it is all I can see it doing is making face plants worse.
    Nate

2008 XLV GG (sold)
    2013 LSV

There is a lot of talk about waring a helmet and if it does more good then harm. I have not seen a study about it yet but hope someone is working on it. I always have my helmet on not just to protect my head but the ear flaps do a wonder to keep water out of my ears.

Now for kids waring a helmet. I also keep my speed low when pulling kids. When my nephew starts to ride I will be purchasing him one and it will be required for him to ride. If nothing else it will keep his hair out of his eyes. Sorry I am not much help but if you have a little extra padding it should help if it is put on correct.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Although I dont agree with the doctor regarding the physics, I do agree with the idea of helmets. Helmets dont eliminate injury they lessen them by spreading the force over a larger area.

I know someone that hit so hard that it ripped his board off his feet and also ended up in the hospital for a concussion because he was not wearing a helmet. He now wears a helmet every time on the water.
    2007 Moomba Outback V

I had one bad memory loss concussion that landed me in the ER. I wear a helmet now and my kids will too.

no kids so no horse in this race, but if I was towing someone elses kid, I'd probably ask them if they had one, more from a legal standpoint as it seems in this world there are too many looking for a free ride. one trip to the hospital and some major bills, I don't care what kind of friend they are, that thought will cross them.

what would do wonders to push the issue would be the pro riders wearing them consistently, but seems most of them don't even see the need to wear a "true" uscg approved jacket..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I have had a selection of helmets on my boat since 2005 and had lots of feedback from a couple of dozen people. Lots of sizes and shapes with lots of crashes. A couple of concussions and several more regrets. Let me take you straight to the answer about helmets and watersports:

Yes, they offer protection from impact (for skull and ears) that far outweighs any risk of catching an edge. However, they MUST fit properly. If they don't, any play will result in the water slamming the helmet into the head.

I have not had helmets for most kids simply because such sizes were virtually impossible to find until recently. I found one kid-sized helmet, but it turned out to be a poor design (too wide) and we never bring it anymore. My teenage nephew has usually worn a helmet, but lately has been skipping it because he says it blocks him from spotting a landing with some new trick. This isn't around his friends, so I'll believe him.

Most of my helmets have been Pro-Tec Wake helmets. However, last year I got a Bern "hard hat" for a new rider and it's much better. The Pro-Tec have comparatively thin padding with an internal strap for adjustment. The strap's fasteners are very flimsy and slip away far too easily. The Bern has no internal strap, replacing it with two layers of thicker internal foam, graduated in density. This is a MUCH better solution for the full range of impacts from soft to hard.

The Pro-Tec helmets have better venting on the ear cups than the Bern ones. I simply drilled out slightly bigger holes in the Bern ear flaps.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

I also recommend a Neck Roll and crash goggles for safety.

http://www.cinchmax.com/id3.html

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?P=4427
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

+1 for the helmet.
    i took a spill and had a concussion. probably should have gone to Dr. but did not. totally missed a couple riders, but they let me drive.

last fall i was just out for a real quick ride with a plan to just ride and not do anything. caught a strange edge and ruptured my ear drum. it did not heal properly, had timpanoplasty to correct it 5 months later. i have some permanent hearing loss.

i have a helmet since the concussion, i usually wear it, but not always. had i worn the helmet i would not have damaged my ear drum.

i have no issue with helmets. suggest them all the time, but i don't enforce too much.
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved