Default 2002 Outback Pulls left

I just bought a used 2002 Outback, When I let go of the Steering Wheel it Veers sharply to the left. Is there any way to trim the steering so it tracks straight? This is the first inboard I've had. Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I just bought a used 2002 Outback, When I let go of the Steering Wheel it Veers sharply to the left. Is there any way to trim the steering so it tracks straight? This is the first inboard I've had. Is this normal?
    Not normal. Some people "tune" their rudders to create a slight pull to one side, but a sharp veer means a bent rudder. It has nothing to do with the steering system.

Some shops can true your rudder for you. Call your local prop shop. If they won't do it, they may know someone. If you strike out there, try a machine shop.

Thanks for the reply! This boat has turned into a nightmare. Not only does it veer left, it bogs down at high speeds. I'm guessing some type of fuel problem. It's carburated so I may need to re-build the carb. Buyer beware!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Thanks for the reply! This boat has turned into a nightmare. Not only does it veer left, it bogs down at high speeds. I'm guessing some type of fuel problem. It's carburated so I may need to re-build the carb. Buyer beware!!!
    Bogging down at high speed could be any number of issues, fuel, fuel filter, carb. Start with the 2 simple things, make sure the fuel is good, if its older fuel, add Stabil, and Octane Booster to it. Then change the fuel filter.

Also for the rudder, if its not straight then at high speeds the boat will bog down because your in a turn technically so the boat is draging threw the water, unless your bogging is truly engine realted.

To know if you have a bent rudder or strut <holds the drive shaft just before the prop>
    Strut should be straight peace, no curves.

Also the Rudder will be straight up and down but and iom not positive a lot of SC boats have the strut and prop slightly to the left of the rudder, my Mojo its centered with the ruder.

To test the rudder to see if its bent hold a string to the mounting plat close to the rudder, and if the rudder doesnt follow at the same angle on its left and right sides then its bent.

It wont take very much bend to cause the steering to change.

If the rudder is bent i would have the shaft inspected as well because in order to bend a rudder, the prop would be damaged, and that can cause a bend in the strut and shaft.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Like mmandley said start simple. The fuel filter on my '06 OB was located in an area that was constantly getting wet (horrible location IMO). Thus it would rust quickly. Long story short it def. needed to be replace annually. If not I experienced the same symptoms you are.
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

For the motor bogging. Add good fuel and try some stuff called Sea Foam. You can get it at Walmart or auto parts stores. A new filter is a good idea too.

At speed, many inboards will pull, usually to the right. There may be an issue with your rudder or shaft, but someone may have "tuned" the rudder in the past.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Bogging down at high speed could be any number of issues, fuel, fuel filter, carb. Start with the 2 simple things, make sure the fuel is good, if its older fuel, add Stabil, and Octane Booster to it. Then change the fuel filter.

Also for the rudder, if its not straight then at high speeds the boat will bog down because your in a turn technically so the boat is draging threw the water, unless your bogging is truly engine realted.

To know if you have a bent rudder or strut <holds the drive shaft just before the prop>
    Strut should be straight peace, no curves.

Also the Rudder will be straight up and down but and iom not positive a lot of SC boats have the strut and prop slightly to the left of the rudder, my Mojo its centered with the ruder.

To test the rudder to see if its bent hold a string to the mounting plat close to the rudder, and if the rudder doesnt follow at the same angle on its left and right sides then its bent.

It wont take very much bend to cause the steering to change.

If the rudder is bent i would have the shaft inspected as well because in order to bend a rudder, the prop would be damaged, and that can cause a bend in the strut and shaft.
    All good points, but the previous owner could have bent prop/rudder and only fixed the prop. If you suspect the strut, just uncouple the shaft and measure the gaps.

If the strut is bent though you would almost certainly have a bent shaft and vibrations. Also your strut bushing would self destruct very quickly and your stuffing box would likely be leaking.

I would start with a rudder check. It's easy to drop out, and a shop could check it for real cheap, or free if you get lucky.

Thank you all for the great advice!! As a first time Moomba owner I'm very impressed. Well we got her running well. New Plugs, Plug wires, Gas and Fuel filter seems to have done the job. Now I need to work on the steering problem. At ski speed the boat pulls left and leans right. In order to have it level we need to put 3 adults on the left and only the driver on the right. It's in the water right now but I'm going to pull it tonight and start the rudder check process listed above. Thanks again for all the info!! I've been boating all of my 53 years but this is my first inboard. I'm glad I found this forum!!

You're going to like it around here. You're going to love the inboard thing. Little bit of learning but so much fun.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Well I got the engine running well. I also called the dealer who did the maintenance on the boat. He said that 8 years ago the boat was brought in for a listing to the right problem. He said that the hull probably came out of the mold wrong and they tried to fix it by re-molding the hull. I never heard of that but he said that is what they did. Has anyone ever heard of that? I'm still going to run the boat over to my local Prop shop and see if they can diagnose any problem with the rudder or Prop. It tracks ok at slow speed and at full throttle, but at ski speed, about 3000 rpm, it really pulls left and leans right.