Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Prop contact with trailer

I'm looking for what went wrong. I was lifting both boat and trailer to get all the tires off, so I can get at the hubs and do the bearings (the Supra). After I got everything settled I noticed there was a clearance issue with the prop. Now it's making contact with the steel section underneath it by about 1/8". I checked all the welds and tubing for cracked paint or anything that might indicate where something might have shifted but couldn't find anything. I did notice, however, that there was rusted bare metal under the prop indicating that there might have been some minor contact. I checked the prop and everything seemed smooth and fine. No bent blades or anything to indicate that there had been any contact.

At this stage I'm not going to be concerned until I've got the tires back on and the trailer is in its proper stance.

On the chance that, when I've completed everything, the prop is still contacting the trailer I need to prepare and have a game plan on what needs to be done.

I haven't searched the forum yet for similar issues, but plan to.

1. Has anyone run into this before?
    2. Anyone know what kind of clearance there should be?
    3. What can be done to fix this?

I've got access to acetyline, welding gear, etc.

If you notice, the cross section of iron at the back of the trailer is even higher than where the prop is touching, so this whole section is probably going to have to go down about 1/2".

Good thing I've still got the outback.
    Last edited by rsinger; 05-28-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    past---------------2003 Outback SOLD
    present------------2006 Supra Launch 21V

Ron

no need to cut the trailer. just launch the boat, take the rear bunks loose and add shims (washers) between the bunks and the mounts to raise them a little to achieve the proper clearance.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Thanks David. Sweet easy fix. Really appreciate it. Saved me a bit of time looking through the forums.

More importantly, you saved me a sleepless night. I said I wasn't going to worry, but talk is cheep.

However I just went out again and found a partial reason why the prop is hitting the trailer. The tie down straps are pulling the boat down. When I released them I almost got enough clearance for the prop.

I don't think anything shifted. Along with the tie down straps, once the trailer and boat go into the water the boat will start to float while the trailer sinks, creating additional clearance.

Might be an idea to take a go pro under the water to see this actually happen.

I'm heading downstairs to get my second beer now. Good thing the son filled the fridge.
    Last edited by rsinger; 05-28-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rsinger View Post
    Thanks David. Sweet easy fix. Really appreciate it. Saved me a bit of time looking through the forums.

More importantly, you saved me a sleepless night. I said I wasn't going to worry, but talk is cheep.

However I just went out again and found a partial reason why the prop is hitting the trailer. The tie down straps are pulling the boat down. When I released them I almost got enough clearance for the prop.

I don't think anything shifted. Along with the tie down straps, once the trailer and boat go into the water the boat will start to float while the trailer sinks, creating additional clearance.

Might be an idea to take a go pro under the water to see this actually happen.

I'm heading downstairs to get my second beer now. Good thing the son filled the fridge.

Go Pro would never work where I live, you can't see 3 inches through the water but up there where yall are the water is a bit more clear. If you have the handle bar mount you may about to attach it to a broom pole or a short pvc pipe and stick it down there to have a look around. may make for a cool clip in a summer summary video as well
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Good advise Dave i was going to say the same thing, just not washers, was thinking more of starboard spacers. Might look into what the stock prop was, and what prop is on there now. Last owner might have upgraded and knew the clearance was tight and was just very careful.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I agree with mike. if that was my boat and clearance was that tight, I'd do 1/2" starboard spacers, and while I was at it, might as well do new bunks, carpet and bolts. finish the job right. I think I'd also hit the spots where the paint was scraped off with a bit of sandpaper and some touchup paint to fight rust/corrosion. not a fun day at the boat launch but rewarding.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default Prop contact with trailer

If you're gonna replace all that, might as well go back in with thru bolts and toss the lag bolts

Sent from my iPhone
    David

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I think I'd also hit the spots where the paint was scraped off with a bit of sandpaper and some touchup paint to fight rust/corrosion. n
    Hold on guys. I just want to get the boat on the water.

Actually I think I have as much fun working on it. Already on it. I've got a spot sand blaster and there are 2 areas there without paint. Going to clean both of them up. I think you also saw the rusty spot at the right of the picture. Bunks and carpet are good though. Checked them when I bought the boat. I need to pull one of the lag bolts and get a bunch that are at least 1/2" longer. I'll have to find what I can use for spacer material that won't rot.

Ron

as mike mentioned, hit up any plastic wholesaler and get a small chunk of King Starboard or HDPE. you can cut it with a fine tooth skil/scroll saw and drill just like wood. won't rot or deteriorate like wood and won't rust.

great stuff and since you won't need a big sheet, someone should have some scrap product laying around.

as mentioned, I'd thru-bolt it rather than lag. stronger and never need to check the nuts again if you use lock or double nut it..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    as mike mentioned, hit up any plastic wholesaler and get a small chunk of King Starboard or HDPE.
    OK. NOW I get it. I thought the term "Starboard" meant lift only the starboard side of the boat. That was weird, why only one side.

You're reply caused me to read through the entire thread a few more times. I googled King Starboard, and the light bulb came on.

Ron