Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default pre-enclosed Subwoofer box

Guys,
    I have seen some real cool custom built sub enclosures on this site. Good work guys. I however am a little lazier than some of you so i was looking for recommendations on what would be a good choice for a sub already in an enclosure that I could put in the area under the helm. I know it is not as clean of a job but should accomplish the purpose. I have a 2004 Mobius LS with no heater so there is quite a bit of room under the helm. Anybody have a recommendation for a pre-enclosed off the shelf sub that works well?
    BlueSky.
    2004 Mobius LS Direct Drive

I believe both earmark and exile can sell you ready to go products and check with MLA on here as he is a kicker dealer.

the bigger the better imo so skip over a 10 and look for a 12.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

No exact recomendation but measure the area out, then you can look at the boxes and see what fits. I would highly recomend removing the carpet off them, then spraying a couple coats of the ryno liner in a can on them. Then you can simply glue the carpet back on using 3M spray.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I believe both earmark and exile can sell you ready to go products and check with MLA on here as he is a kicker dealer.

the bigger the better imo so skip over a 10 and look for a 12.
    Exile doesn't deal with the boxes anylonger. I think the last of the left over boxes are gone.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I have bought 2 cheap box's at wally world, one for a 10" sub in the 08 that is got to be close to 4 years old now--still being used to this day and has not come apart that I know off. 2nd box is for the 12" sub in my current boat, again no issues, both boats have had the noses dunked and water over the bow, the 08 went thru a couple wicked rain storms to where the bilge pump ran every 10 minutes for a hour or so.

Would love to get a "good" box at some point but I don't see a reason to replace the current box
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Here are just a couple of problems with an off-the-shelf automotive woofer box.
    It's not necessarily the exposure to direct water that is a problem. It can easily be the air moisture content, especially when the boat has a little water in the bilge and is under the cover. A little heat from the sun and it is 'condensation city' in there.
    They use water-soluable MDF. They typically use the absolute cheapest form of MDF from China. The lower seams are the first to fail and the enclosure will usually lose its airtight integrity within one season. BUT, the carpet covering conceals the failed seams for several more seasons.
    Rarely do they use screws, air nails or staples for construction. Normally, the box has three pre-carpeted pieces only. The top, baffle face, bottom and back are one section of MDF with CNC'd V-cuts, and is then folded around the two end caps and glued....you guessed it....with a water soluable glue.
    The enclosure integrity is not only important to the sound quality, but it is important to the longevity of the woofer.
    I have never seen a car box in a boat that when removed several years later, even when it appeared perfect, that the dimensions were not increased.
    Get with Odin at Earmark Marine. He has a variety of 10-inch and 12-inch fully marinized subwoofer enclosures ready to go. Plus, he can make sure that you get a woofer and enclosure that are properly matched. He's a really good sound engineer.

I'm getting ready to build my own along the lines of what JMVotto did here (but it's going to hang off the hump like the Dusty version so I don't lose any precious foot room):

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....ghlight=custom
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I'm getting ready to build my own along the lines of what JMVotto did here (but it's going to hang off the hump like the Dusty version so I don't lose any precious foot room):

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....ghlight=custom
    Just make sure yours is done by July so I can inspect your work, if its up to par I will provide you measurement so you can do another one
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I concur with passing on a store-boat off the shelf MDF automotive. Waterproofing the exterior aside, their typical construction is weak. Its also best to seal the inside as well. And the last thing you want to do is wrap it back with a non-marine carpet. Your typical trunk liner type box carpet will absorb and hold water. Eventually, it will penetrate what ever coating is on the outside.

Thanks Guys for all the suggestions. I have a while to figure this out since we still have snow on the ground but I am on a mission to upgrade a few things before boating season. the stock deck and speakers don't cut it.
    BlueSky
    2004 Mobius LS Direct Drive