Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bathroom ReModel

Haven't been on here very much lately as I've been taking on several projects, honeydews, and enjoying the summer on the boat, RZR, and 5th wheel.
    One of the projects was to re-do our bathtub and tile the tub/shower. Ideally I want a full walk-in with separate spa tub but the space constraint of our current master won't allow. When we built the house 8 years ago we didn't have the budget to build the ideal master bath setup so I thought I'd rip the shower enclosure out and replace the 7ft x 3ft space we had to work with with at least a whirlpool tub and some newer fixtures. I found the same floor tile in a 13x13 and integrated it into the design to pull the existing floor into the new. Here's the before and after..........not bad for my first tile job if I do say so myself before and after 4.jpgbefore and after2.jpgbefore and after3.jpg

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I like the fixtures/faucet.

Nice job on the tile. I had a neighbor tile his small bathroom floor for his first tile job. He used small 2x2 tiles and started on all 4 walls and finished in the center. He had some cut tiles in the center.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

You're hired!

May have to hit you up for some 'real world' tips. Did you use backerboard or tile directly to the sheet rock? The tile run clear to the ceiling?

My first attempt at tiling will most likely be next month, but small by comparison. Just a kitchen back splash.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

That looks really good! Not sure I would have had the patience to get it right
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    You're hired!

May have to hit you up for some 'real world' tips. Did you use backerboard or tile directly to the sheet rock? The tile run clear to the ceiling?

My first attempt at tiling will most likely be next month, but small by comparison. Just a kitchen back splash.
    That could be a big job depending on what kind of tile. Our backplash consist of about a million 1" tiles...
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I did a small kitchen back splash about 7 feet on side and 14 on the other with about 2' of height. I used some peel and stick for wall adhesive instead of mastic. It is expensive, but 1. It's fast 2. It's easy 3. You can grout right away 4. No mess. I would only recommend for a small project due to cost.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

You're hired!

Should use the cement backer board in the bathroom.

Viking. Nice job looks great, takes a lot of patience.

What is this Rzr you speak of?
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

done a TON of tiling over the years and learned a lot...
    looks great viking. if I would have known you were shopping for a jetted tub, you could have mine. going to rip it out of the master next spring and do a standup shower. have a tub on the other side of the house and hate standing in one to shower. never use it anyway.. in the same boat with b-room size. not enough room for both shower and tub.

on tiling:
    kitchen, just use white mastic straight to the drywall. no prep. cut a small piece of board(1x2) and screw across between the counters where the stove belongs to make it easier to tile that space. as max suggested, the peel/stick stuff is nice, but spensive. I have never minded waiting the day.
    bathrooms, concreteboard is messy to use, but never have rot issues. I've used greenboard and a red waterproofing membrane and had good luck. never use mastic on a shower, always mortar mix. mastic will eventually giveway due to the humidity. backsplash is ok to use mastic.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I've done enough tiling to say, "Never again." Especially on floors. Looks like you really took your time to get your layout right and also planned the his and hers cutouts for your shampoo, etc. That was well thought out as well. Every guy who's ever shared a bathroom knows how your stuff gets crowded out with all the products, equipment and machinery they feel compelled to keep in the shower.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

^^ This. Oh God this.... I compare the here and now bathroom "provisions" to my single days. Geesh.

I think I've said the same thing about doing drywall and tape/mudding/texture. Yet for some reason I keep finding myself attempting it and thinking I'll do better.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...