Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

There are so many problems with the data provided that it would have been better for Indmar to give the specific data of oil lost and recommend more frequent oil changes.

Showing HP required and giving inaccurate reasons for oil breakdown make the point of oil lost less believable. So many people have questions about oil and oil issues that this isn't helpful.

Check your oil level prior to each ride, like the owner's manual says.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Am I the only one that picked up on "5700 lbs of ballast, a normal load for events"?

With 5700 lbs of ballast your boat would sink.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

That is normal for the professional riders at the World Championship events

Wow, I've never heard of 5700 lbs of ballast. I am def. going to ask my buddy about this since he mc's a lot of the tour events. I just thought that was a typo or something.

After talking to Mike Brendella from Mb boats last year at our local boatshow he mentioned one of there team riders,often riding/surfing behind his boat loaded with 6k ponds of ballast. Combo of water and leadshot to achieve this.
    Not recomended,but definetely the way some of the PRO's do it.
    07 Outback DD

I've heard harley clifford runs 7000-8000 pounds in his boat. One competition I did was pulled by an x-star running 6k pounds. We ran half the summer with 1800 pounds and the second half we were running 2500 pounds and never had any oil consumption when we traded the boat in with 540 hours on it using rotella 15w-40. Has anyone read PCM's break in procedure? It is quite a bit different than indmar's and they are both chevy 350 blocks, wonder which one is better?
    Break in procedure is on p.25 I would copy and paste it if I could but it's in a weird format that wont let me
    http://pcmengines.com/ex-343/
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

7-8k is just insane! Where the hell do they put it all! Well come to think of it, for 7-8k lbs of ballast they are probably riding behind 24 ft boats so there's more room. I'd just like to see a quick video clip of where it's all stored.

That article was based on data from an LSA engine which is our supercharged small block engine. That engine uses Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5W30 oil as specified by General Motors. The data is consistent with what we see on conventional 5.7L and 6.0L engines that use conventional 15W40 oil.
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines
    "Power to the Sport"

Quote Originally Posted by Cigars n scotch View Post
    7-8k is just insane! Where the hell do they put it all! Well come to think of it, for 7-8k lbs of ballast they are probably riding behind 24 ft boats so there's more room. I'd just like to see a quick video clip of where it's all stored.
    Check out this thread
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....77-Got-Ballast
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

It would be interesting to see the results from a used oil analysis as well. I know some oils are very good (rotella t6) and used oil analysis over and over again have shown it provides protection even over Reccomend change intervals in cars, but it would be neat to see the comparison in boats. It would be a good factor to consider.