Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

I guess you could call it improper winterizing. Last run of that year the water at the reservoir was extremely low - to the point I backed past the end of the dock at the launch and 20ft into the mud before I even hit the water. Coming back out of the water was a murky mess. Then the boat sat for a few weeks before winterizing. Should have known better...

That next Spring after getting everything back together and warmed it up to do an oil change I had the dreaded milkshake.

AWS was swamped and referred me to their engine shop to get in sooner. Got in there and a tech pulled one drain plug from the block. Little rusty water comes out. He grabs a little piece of wire like a coat hanger and sticks it up into the block and works it around some. Some really mucky slime like mud and silt comes out and then some blackish water.

I guess there was a bunch of sediment crap trapped in the block that hardened and trapped some water in one of the jackets. Cracked block...

Bummer of a way to start the summer but they got a new engine in it within just a week or two and we did an upgrade option with a little hotter cam too.

I haven't investigated the winterizing work that AWS did this year yet but plan to in considering my DIY for next year.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    I guess you could call it improper winterizing. Last run of that year the water at the reservoir was extremely low - to the point I backed past the end of the dock at the launch and 20ft into the mud before I even hit the water. Coming back out of the water was a murky mess. Then the boat sat for a few weeks before winterizing. Should have known better...

That next Spring after getting everything back together and warmed it up to do an oil change I had the dreaded milkshake.

AWS was swamped and referred me to their engine shop to get in sooner. Got in there and a tech pulled one drain plug from the block. Little rusty water comes out. He grabs a little piece of wire like a coat hanger and sticks it up into the block and works it around some. Some really mucky slime like mud and silt comes out and then some blackish water.

I guess there was a bunch of sediment crap trapped in the block that hardened and trapped some water in one of the jackets. Cracked block...

Bummer of a way to start the summer but they got a new engine in it within just a week or two and we did an upgrade option with a little hotter cam too.

I haven't investigated the winterizing work that AWS did this year yet but plan to in considering my DIY for next year.

Wow..... I hope you have learned from this. That had to be a tough one to deal with.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

270$ for full winterize and oil change.. added a shrink wrap and storage for a extra 275.. not to bad i dont think

$182 at Atlanta Marine for full winterization. Oil & Filter change is extra.

Default 50 bucks for heater?

This is what blows me away. Fifty dollars to winterize your heater! You literally disconnect two hoses and you can blow it out with your own mouth! It takes 2 minutes to do the entire thing! Fifty bucks for that?!? That's ridiculous. That should just be part of the normal winterization. That's a rip-off.

Garn
    Garn
    2007 Mobius LS (Direct Drive)

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    OK I was holding off on posting here due to not wanting people to be offended by "some" of us Florida folk (not displaced yankees) having it pretty easy.
    I fill her up with 89 octane, pour Stabil in, back her near the garage, unhook her, take the Z5 bimini off and hang it in the back of the garage, lift the engine cover and hang the drop light under the motor (if it gets really cold, I will plug it in, maybe 5 to 8 days total), remove the drain plugs on the blocks (don't forget to grease the threads on the block here) and remove the inlet water hose, put the cover on the boat ,swing the hitch over, drop the tower, take off the Beautiful Teak deck (and spend 5 minutes heavily coating it with oil) and then by hand push the boat back into her spot. Grab the drop light cord and place it near an outlet so it is ready if needed. So I guess the total cost is the cost of the Stabil, what about 8 dollars cause you can't count the gasoline and the teak oil has nothing to do with winter time. There she will sit for about 3 to 4 LONG months!
    Don't want to offend you but not winterizing isn't very smart no matter where your located. $80 in antifreeze and 15 minutes of your time could save you alot of headache. More blocks crack in the south versus up north because Southerners think it doesn't get cold enough to freeze a block. You never know what kind of winter you're going to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bcoutsfly View Post
    Don't want to offend you but not winterizing isn't very smart no matter where your located. $80 in antifreeze and 15 minutes of your time could save you alot of headache. More blocks crack in the south versus up north because Southerners think it doesn't get cold enough to freeze a block. You never know what kind of winter you're going to have.

He does winterize it.....he drains the block. and part of the impeller housing....but he should also drain the jtube from the circ pump to the tstat housing or at least fog the cylinders and change the oil
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I have a thermometer in the garage-- and also keep a little cup of water just in case. It never got below 46 in there on the coldest night last year-- I think it was about 27 outside.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I wonder if the economy is partially to blame for the damage. I have 3 buddies who have gone through the split in the last 6 months. 14 years, 13 years and 13 years and now starting over.
    Well Kane, I can't really say that was the case....

I find I'm attracted to loud shiny things that go fast. Not necessarily a good thing when it comes to women. They don't exactly make for a good wife...

So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

In californina I was quoted $256 without the oil change, so i did it myself with the awsome pics and notes provided by cab13367 last week. It did take me awail but most of the time I was trying to get at the hoses and bolts with various tool. next year will be faster.