Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2019 Makai rear port ballast pump

Anyone have any issues with your ballast pumps on the new makai? My rear port side pump keeps running unless I disconnect it. There are two pumps per side so the one still works. Checked the toggle switch and that’s all good. Hopefully it’s a short and not something with the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lpietraszkiewicz View Post
    Anyone have any issues with your ballast pumps on the new makai? My rear port side pump keeps running unless I disconnect it. There are two pumps per side so the one still works. Checked the toggle switch and that’s all good. Hopefully it’s a short and not something with the screen.

Yep! Had the same. You can pull fuses to make it usable with one pump. Mine needed a new ballast relay box on that side.

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    Yep! Had the same. You can pull fuses to make it usable with one pump. Mine needed a new ballast relay box on that side.

Once again you have the answers to everything haha. Thank you for the quick reply Mitch!!!! And good luck with the new toy!!

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post

What he said.
    Had the same issue on the max. Needs a new relay box.
    2019 MAX
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L

Quote Originally Posted by Lpietraszkiewicz View Post
    Once again you have the answers to everything haha. Thank you for the quick reply Mitch!!!! And good luck with the new toy!!

Thank you! I encountered the mysterious perpetually emptying ballast pump a few months ago. It was a great mystery for a while.

If you pull the correct two fuses you can live your life just fine on one pump while you wait for your new part.

Had this happen to my Max today. Thankfully was aware of this issue and knew where to pull the fuse. We cut the day short and dropped it off at the dealer on the way home. We have a weekend trip planned at the end of the month so figured I better drop it off now to get the relay module replaced and have her back in time for the trip. Guess there is a bad batch of relay modules affecting some of us 2019 owners.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    Had this happen to my Max today. Thankfully was aware of this issue and knew where to pull the fuse. We cut the day short and dropped it off at the dealer on the way home. We have a weekend trip planned at the end of the month so figured I better drop it off now to get the relay module replaced and have her back in time for the trip. Guess there is a bad batch of relay modules affecting some of us 2019 owners.
    Where is the fuse? Y’all have me paranoid now lol

I’m sure I could find it but cutting to the chase could really save my mental attitude if it happens on the water!
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by z28ke View Post
    Where is the fuse? Y’all have me paranoid now lol

I’m sure I could find it but cutting to the chase could really save my mental attitude if it happens on the water!
    It's on the port rear locker wall. See flienlow's video https://youtu.be/iRiVHNU6asg

Once you remove the panel you can see the fuses and there is writing on the relay box next to the fuses. For mine I had to pull the "port fill" fuse which was the upper most fuse. I could see water in my ballast line down by the bag but the pump was acting like it was draining even though the ballast switch was OFF. When I flipped it to fill, same thing, just stuck on drain or wouldn't drain. Flipped it to drain and it audibly sounded different like it was pulling air from the bag and actually trying to drain. This is also how I discovered that the ballast fill numbers and animation on the screen don't mean anything. They are just tied to the ballast fill time and don't indicate an actual fill level. Mine showed 100% filled when clearly it wasn't.

It's a shame the little circular plastic removable cover on the rear wall is not quite lined up with the ballast fuse/relay module otherwise you likely wouldn't need to remove the whole rear panel. The plus is that the Max rear locker is massively deep so it makes working in there pretty easy. I don't know if this is just a 2019 thing but I don't recall seeing it for the 2018's. Hopefully you're good to go. My dealer said they were aware of the issue by reading some posts on here and on the FB group but nobody has had the issue at their dealership, until now lol. I always get to be the first . People who have had theirs replaced said its been working fine for them ever since so I'm hoping this was just a bad batch of modules during the 2019 builds.
    Last edited by haknslash; 08-10-2019 at 10:27 PM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    It's on the port rear locker wall. See flienlow's video https://youtu.be/iRiVHNU6asg

Once you remove the panel you can see the fuses and there is writing on the relay box next to the fuses. For mine I had to pull the "port fill" fuse which was the upper most fuse. I could see water in my ballast line down by the bag but the pump was acting like it was draining even though the ballast switch was OFF. When I flipped it to fill, same thing, just stuck on drain or wouldn't drain. Flipped it to drain and it audibly sounded different like it was pulling air from the bag and actually trying to drain. This is also how I discovered that the ballast fill numbers and animation on the screen don't mean anything. They are just tied to the ballast fill time and don't indicate an actual fill level. Mine showed 100% filled when clearly it wasn't.

It's a shame the little circular plastic removable cover on the rear wall is not quite lined up with the ballast fuse/relay module otherwise you likely wouldn't need to remove the whole rear panel. The plus is that the Max rear locker is massively deep so it makes working in there pretty easy. I don't know if this is just a 2019 thing but I don't recall seeing it for the 2018's. Hopefully you're good to go. My dealer said they were aware of the issue by reading some posts on here and on the FB group but nobody has had the issue at their dealership, until now lol. I always get to be the first . People who have had theirs replaced said its been working fine for them ever since so I'm hoping this was just a bad batch of modules during the 2019 builds.
    Thank u sir
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018