Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

now to find somewhere where i can do this without pissing everyone off...
    Yeah, I hear that. Plan for December 31st around 11:59pm...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    now to find somewhere where i can do this without pissing everyone off...
    Head down to Cowboy stadium. I bet that place will be deserted now after what happened yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Head down to Cowboy stadium. I bet that place will be deserted now after what happened yesterday.
    would be a good location if it wasnt a 200 mile tow!
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

David,

I am running one set of SXT65Qs on my tower and one set of XM7s. Both off one Harpoon amp. Is there any special procedure I need to do to set my gain on there Harpoon or is it the same? Is it easy to tell when the HLCDs start to distort?
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Didn't you have 4 sxt65s on the tower at some point?
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by bzubke1 View Post
    Didn't you have 4 sxt65s on the tower at some point?
    I did but i swapped two of my sxts and some money for two xm7s from brian. the sxts sound good but didnt really have the distance i was looking for to jam at wakeboard distance.
    David

rd(David),
    Sorry for the delay in answering your question.
    In tuning the tower speakers you are generally listening for tell tale signs of the amplifier clipping and not necessarily speaker distortion.
    I might describe clipping as when you notice that the volume may continue to increase in treble but the warmth no longer keeps pace, the sound becomes tinny, harsh, edgy or strident. Then back down from that point to where those characteristics have disappeared. Choosing the right program material to expose clipping is helpful. Something dynamic, dense, busy across the entire spectrum but clean. It doesn't have to be your favorites. No dirty downloads. No equalization in any form. Strictly highpass.
    Not everyone has developed an ear for what clipping is. You need a good quiet environment. A helper is useful so that you can listen from atop the rear sunpad while the helper gains the amplifier higher and lower.
    I've got to keep it fairly simple and generic here. We have a 7-page draft on tuning with another advanced draft for those that have more tolerance for the highly technical. But again, what Phil wrote and what Wetsounds provides is very good advice.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    rd(David),
    Sorry for the delay in answering your question.
    In tuning the tower speakers you are generally listening for tell tale signs of the amplifier clipping and not necessarily speaker distortion.
    I might describe clipping as when you notice that the volume may continue to increase in treble but the warmth no longer keeps pace, the sound becomes tinny, harsh, edgy or strident. Then back down from that point to where those characteristics have disappeared. Choosing the right program material to expose clipping is helpful. Something dynamic, dense, busy across the entire spectrum but clean. It doesn't have to be your favorites. No dirty downloads. No equalization in any form. Strictly highpass.
    Not everyone has developed an ear for what clipping is. You need a good quiet environment. A helper is useful so that you can listen from atop the rear sunpad while the helper gains the amplifier higher and lower.
    I've got to keep it fairly simple and generic here. We have a 7-page draft on tuning with another advanced draft for those that have more tolerance for the highly technical. But again, what Phil wrote and what Wetsounds provides is very good advice.

David
    Earmark Marine
    my hearing is already pretty bad and im really confident im not going to know what to look for. and standing on the sunpad with my xm7s screaming im sure will not help my hearing situation lol
    David

David,
    That's unfortunate and I'm sorry for your loss.
    Swing it by a stereo shop if you have a local one that's good. They should be able to help for a nominal fee.
    If you know someone with a scope then it can be used to visually identify the signs of clipping and remove any subjective perception. Again, a good stereo shop is also likely to have a scope. Once someone with an educated ear qualifies for you what clipping sounds like, you will forever be self-sufficient.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    David,
    That's unfortunate and I'm sorry for your loss.
    Swing it by a stereo shop if you have a local one that's good. They should be able to help for a nominal fee.
    If you know someone with a scope then it can be used to visually identify the signs of clipping and remove any subjective perception. Again, a good stereo shop is also likely to have a scope. Once someone with an educated ear qualifies for you what clipping sounds like, you will forever be self-sufficient.

David
    Earmark Marine
    i always thought clipping was when it just totally shut off
    David