Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Boats runs, then sounds bad and won't run! Help!

So this happened last week and I thought I fixed it with a fuel flyer last week.

So here's the problem:
    I put it in the water this morning, ran about 20 minutes then pulled up and parked at the pier for about 2 hours. We got in after lunch going to ride, pulled tubes for about 30 min or so and anchored up to some friends to swim. Boat was off as we swam for about an hour. We got back in the surf and it turns over fine but will not crank at all. It has a brand new fuel filter in it. It would eventually crank after about 10 min but sounded awful and wouldn't go into gear. It doesn't even idle smooth. But idles less when I put it into gear(I wouldn't really call it idling-sounds really rough). I opened the gas to see if it was vapor lock and that wasn't it. AND HERES THE KICKER.... Once I was towed back to dock and got a ride to go around a get my trailer, when I got back to trailer it, it cranks fine and trailered with no problem. This is the exact thing that happened last weekend but I thought I fixed it with the fuel filter. Apparently not. Please Help! I'd hate to take it to the dealer and not have it for a few weeks at the least b/c they can't get to it.

Things I've tried:
    New fuel filter
    Opened gas to see if it's vapor lock
    Took the fuel like off filter and see if it pulling which it is.
    I've run sea-foam, sta-bil marine.
    Chevron gas, same that's in my truck.

2006 Möbius LSV

What do you mean by open the gas to see if it's vapor lock?

I've heard of vapor lock and but didnt really know exactly what it was. i was told it could help by opening the gas, where you pour it in). That's what he suggested. Tried it, didn't work.

2006 Möbius LSV

You check fuel pump?

Quote Originally Posted by CMAC21 View Post
    I've heard of vapor lock and but didnt really know exactly what it was. i was told it could help by opening the gas, where you pour it in). That's what he suggested. Tried it, didn't work.
    I think it is vapor lock, but opening the gas cap won't fix it. Pouring cool water on the fuel pump itself would do the trick though.

Quote Originally Posted by FlatLander7 View Post
    You check fuel pump?
    Fuel pump has to work bc when I loaded it on the trailer, it's fine. You wouldn't think anything was wrong with it when I trailered it. Crazy. Vapor lock sounds like it after reading about it. It was around 100 or so today I think here

2006 Möbius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    I think it is vapor lock, but opening the gas cap won't fix it. Pouring cool water on the fuel pump itself would do the trick though.
    Is vapor lock common? That seems like that wouldn't happen but sounds like it's exactly what happened. This is my next question. Is there a fix for this? Will it vapor while driving and stop? Do I just pour water on it every time?

2006 Möbius LSV

I think running your blower and opening the engine compartment after sitting for a long time can help. I'm not sure if there is a real fix.

He Is Right it is Vapor Lock and there is no fix, though I've been told by the SC dealer about a fix of mounting another fuel pump in the line, but it's easy to manage around it. Turn Blower on when you stop, especially after a long run, will usually keep it from happening. If it happens, a cup of Ice water poured right on the fuel pump instantly fixes mine

Definition: Vapor lock is a problem that mostly affects gasoline-fueled internal combustion engines.

It occurs when the liquid fuel changes state from liquid to gas while still in the fuel delivery system. This disrupts the operation of the fuel pump, causing loss of feed pressure to the carburetor or fuel injection system, resulting in transient loss of power or complete stalling. Restarting the engine from this state may be difficult.
    That's from Wikipedia.
    FamilyMatters

2009 Outback

Thanks FamilyMatters and Dan. I put it on the trailer but we are still down at our house. Im going to putnit in the water in the morning and hope for the best. Im going to run my blower most of the time and go from there. Thanks guys for the help. I appreciate and hope that solves it. I'll post how tomorrow goes

2006 Möbius LSV