Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by EricU View Post
    Looking Great!

If I leave now, I think I can make in time for next week's playoff games!
    I don't have the TV yet. I have the satellite box, but no dish...

Quote Originally Posted by philwsailz View Post
    I don't have the TV yet. I have the satellite box, but no dish...
    What are you plans for a TV. A couple of years ago, I finally got my overhead projector and I love it!!

If you are into movies at all go with a 2.35:1, if just for Sports (Two Oklahoma Football teams...) then the big new LED tvs are also nice.
    Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Eric.

looks great!

What are you plans for a TV. A couple of years ago, I finally got my overhead projector and I love it!!

If you are into movies at all go with a 2.35:1, if just for Sports (Two Oklahoma Football teams...) then the big new LED tvs are also nice.
    I am looking into a 55 or 60-inch Sony. I prefer a flat screen as opposed to a projector, as I need a bright display for when I am working on audio editing and want to use the screen as a monitor in a lit room.

Quote Originally Posted by philwsailz View Post
    I am looking into a 55 or 60-inch Sony. I prefer a flat screen as opposed to a projector, as I need a bright display for when I am working on audio editing and want to use the screen as a monitor in a lit room.
    Phil,

Think about going even larger, with the prices of the 70s and 80s now (even the 4Ks are coming down in price). The 55s now look small (I remember when a 4:3 27" was HUGE!)

I had been nothing but a Sony person most of my life until a couple of years ago when I bought a cheap Sharp 60" LED and I still am amazed at the picture quality, after that I bought a JVC PJ for my HT. Just something to think about.

I am sure whatever you end up with will be awesome.

Eric.

Phil,

Think about going even larger, with the prices of the 70s and 80s now (even the 4Ks are coming down in price). The 55s now look small (I remember when a 4:3 27" was HUGE!)

I had been nothing but a Sony person most of my life until a couple of years ago when I bought a cheap Sharp 60" LED and I still am amazed at the picture quality, after that I bought a JVC PJ for my HT. Just something to think about.

I am sure whatever you end up with will be awesome.
    It is a funny thing to say, but I don't want TOO large a TV...

Let me explain...

The acoustics of the room are paramount, and the viewing distance to the TV is roughly 10-feet only for movie watching. I don't want a TV so large on the speaker end of the room that the wall ends up completely acoustically reflective. I need as much of that wall to be covered in foam to control reflections, so the combination of seating distance and 55-60-inch screen leaves me enough foam around the screen to get the job done.

It still may look kinda funny, as I might need to put a "frame" of deep foam around the TV to keep the smear from the left and right speakers from boucing off the screen...

I like my Sony TVs I own currently and Wife Acceptance Factor says a similar or same remote control will make her more willing to spend time there. It will be a Sony I almost guarantee...

That's why I am blessed with crappy hearing, I am happy with pretty much any decent quality gear and end up feeling sorry for you audiophile types! You would probably cringe in my HT, where me and my kids live in blissful ignorance.

I have a buddy that is an acoustic engineer and when we talk speaker design (I used to make cabinets) I get lost real quick and would just do what he told me to do!

Cant go wrong with the Sonys, Cant wait to see your finished product!

Eric.

That is looking great Phil! With the bar in the back are you concerned with audio reflection?

To cut my chunk of bowling alley I used a Milwaukee metal saw that we had at work and it worked great. Pricey if you only need it for one project though.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/to...FcpDMgodkzMA_A
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Quote Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
    That is looking great Phil! With the bar in the back are you concerned with audio reflection?

To cut my chunk of bowling alley I used a Milwaukee metal saw that we had at work and it worked great. Pricey if you only need it for one project though.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/to...FcpDMgodkzMA_A
    The principle for the room is what is called "Live-end-Dead-end". The basic idea is that you want to absorb all reflections from your ears forward towards the speakers. The front of the room where the speakers are is the "Dead-end". Then the back wall is often left completely untreated and is considered the "Live-end". The live end reflects some information back to your ear, but in a mixed and delayed manner.

The reflections behind you off the "Live-end" wall help recreate the ambience of the music recording without resorting to processed surround-sound trickery. The bar will scatter some of the reflections, but I am not going to attempt to damp reflections from the bar-end of the room. I actually want those reflections.

I have already spent a lot of time A/B-ing and I prefer simple stereo. I also think most who will listen to the space will probably agree that music sounds better in this room in simple 2-channel stereo.

I will use surround sound, I think, but just for movies. The Video portion of the room is not done yet and I have not had a chance to listen to some good action sequences both ways. We will see and I will be sure to report back. It might seem funny to you guys, but one of the first segments I want to listen to is the opening race scenes from the movie CARS. I helped dial in a custom surround system in a buddies custom RV and it is crazy-cool surround with the cars going by you and around you.

I had looked into buying a 10" circular saw. Pricey indeed. I will look into renting one for a day.

Brief update, herer are two shots of the start to the drawers fabrication and isntallation on the freidge cabinet, soon the be the "refreshment cabinet". The two drawers are going to be full-extension soft-closers and will hold the liquor bottles that might find there way in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by philwsailz; 01-14-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Phil,
    The entire project looks awesome!!!

To me, especially as you get older, you can never have too much light or too large of a TV screen.
    In my upstairs media/family room combo, I sit 13 to 14 feet back (in an arc seating arrangement) from an 80" LED screen. It's a good ratio, especially in consideration of the quality of a lot of the program material viewed.

Acoustically, my biggest concern is killing the reflected sound off the media room side walls (up to at least 30 degrees off axis outside) between the front outside speakers and the listeners. In my case, the room is very wide as compared to the soundstage and the furnishings are dense already. In my downstairs family room, which is two-channel HiFi, the room is also wider than deep and I angle the speakers inward a little to nullify the outside walls.