Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indy 500

Our max POB (personnel on board) is 180 and right now I think we are at like 174 or so. they like to keep a few empty beds in case BSSE (the government people) show up for an inspection and have to stay over night. The rooms are not too bad, the normal crew rooms are 2 man room with a bathroom so we dont have to use community showers or anything which is a plus. The living quarters is deck 6, 7, 8, and 9 while offices occupy deck 10 and deck 11 is the bridge. Deck 5 is the galley and gym and deck 4 is the change room. Oh and we also have a music room with some guitars and drums for people who play. We have an elevator but I prefer the stairs, helps keep me from getting too round!

The ship itself is 749 ft long i believe and 136 ft wide. That may not be exact but it is within 10ft i am sure. we have 6 azipod style thrusters, three forward and three aft with a top speed of about 11 knots. 6 really big wartszilla engines power the electric generators that supply all out power and we can hold something like 3.2 million gallons of diesel. i think we can run in transit for like 2 months without needing fuel. I know we made it all the way from singapore without refueling.

As far as how far out we are I am not sure. It takes about an hour by chopper so I would say 100 miles or so. No land is visible but we do see tankers pass and there are a couple other rigs drilling around us. Our water depth is around 4,200 ft.

Here is a picture i snapped of the rig while i was in singapore.

David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

here we go, went outside and got some gps action

David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Shoot, David, I think you're closer to me than you are to home. Stop by for some dinner on Sun. or a boat ride any time.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

David - What led you to work on an oil rig ship? Your job is different and pretty interesting.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Schlumberger recruits from UTI (Universal Technical Institute) and the money seemed good and the schedule seemed awesome. That is pretty much it. I worked for Sewell Cadillac in Dallas for a year before I came out here. pretty much got in contact with a recruiter while I was in UTI and went to an interview but they did not hire anyone under 21 and I graduated at 19. The summer I turned 21 I did a 2nd interview and got an offer and started a week after my 21st b-day.

It is different and that was part of the attraction, now the whole discovery channel feel has worn off and its just work. But I love having two full weeks off every 4 weeks.

Kane, I would be down if they would let me borrow the fast rescue boat for a couple days!
    David

The schedule does seem pretty awesome but there is a down side too....being away from your family for half a month is hard on everyone involved but it's the price you pay!

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    Our max POB (personnel on board) is 180 and right now I think we are at like 174 or so. they like to keep a few empty beds in case BSSE (the government people) show up for an inspection and have to stay over night. The rooms are not too bad, the normal crew rooms are 2 man room with a bathroom so we dont have to use community showers or anything which is a plus. The living quarters is deck 6, 7, 8, and 9 while offices occupy deck 10 and deck 11 is the bridge. Deck 5 is the galley and gym and deck 4 is the change room. Oh and we also have a music room with some guitars and drums for people who play. We have an elevator but I prefer the stairs, helps keep me from getting too round!

The ship itself is 749 ft long i believe and 136 ft wide. That may not be exact but it is within 10ft i am sure. we have 6 azipod style thrusters, three forward and three aft with a top speed of about 11 knots. 6 really big wartszilla engines power the electric generators that supply all out power and we can hold something like 3.2 million gallons of diesel. i think we can run in transit for like 2 months without needing fuel. I know we made it all the way from singapore without refueling.

As far as how far out we are I am not sure. It takes about an hour by chopper so I would say 100 miles or so. No land is visible but we do see tankers pass and there are a couple other rigs drilling around us. Our water depth is around 4,200 ft.

Here is a picture i snapped of the rig while i was in singapore.
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing man.

So, the question on everyone's mind.....what kinda wake does that ship put out?
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by hsurman86 View Post
    The schedule does seem pretty awesome but there is a down side too....being away from your family for half a month is hard on everyone involved but it's the price you pay!

it is hard but there are alternatives if it gets too hard. It does howevere allows US to do a lot of fun things most people do not get the chance to do, like spend tons of time at the lake house and go on multiple trips a year!
    David

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing man.

So, the question on everyone's mind.....what kinda wake does that ship put out?

really not much of one, i was pretty disappointed, i think we move too slow.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    as crazy as it sounds we have "beer cart" Fridays. Exactly like it sounds....cart is being pushed around with you guessed it,....beer on it.
    I want your job!
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"