Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    I actually worry more about dropping my car keys (+home +work +everything) in the drink than losing the boat keys.
    You could do what I do; leave my car keys in the car, my boat keys in the boat, and my house keys in the house. I don't really lock anything, if someone wants in, they'll get it.
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    My main concern still would be with kids always watching it would take them about 5 secs to start the boat and cause issues. I really want a push button system but I would rather it be like the cars where you have a proximity key befor the ignition button activates.
    I believe Auto-Loc also has an RFID system, I know I've seen it somewhere...
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    You could do what I do; leave my car keys in the car, my boat keys in the boat, and my house keys in the house. I don't really lock anything, if someone wants in, they'll get it.
    If I had the keypad entry on my truck I'd definitely leave the keys somewhere in it at the launch. At home I usually go through the garage with the opener so I could "probably" go without a key although that makes me a little uneasy.

With the boat, I'm less worried about it driving away. What would be more likely to happen is some punk to just take the keys and leave me stranded or hunting all over for them thinking I lost them.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

A proximity key faub (however you spell it) is worse than dealing with a key. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

I noticed in one of the archive convos there was a lot of concerns with kids but I don't guess I follow. I think my daughter is just as capable of turning a key as she is pushing a button. Perhaps its more inviting? Also if the boat were to be started, then what? The only time I've had someone below the boat past the swim platform is to get a rope out from the prop. I understand the concern but I don't guess I see how the odds of someone being injured dramatically increased.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

If you are so concerned with kids starting it on accident then just put the boat in gear after you kill it. it wont start in gear so unless the child has enough awareness to more the throttle to neutral and then push the button or turn the key but if they know to do all that then you are screwed either way.

i know whats coming next "what if the safety switch doesnt work and it gets fire up in gear and runs people over" not likely but i guess a valid concern?

im with KG, i know alot of people on here are paranoid about the liability issue of someone coming in contact with a prop while swimming with the engine running but have any of you actually tried to touch the prop while you boat is in the water? i got a rope tangled in mine in the middle of the lake last spring and trust me, you are not going to accidentally hit the prop while swimming. that sucker is far under there
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Ok so a disclaimer first, this is in no way negative comments to start arguements so keep that in mind.

However unlikely it seems, people do get run over or hit by the prop and it happens more than you think. I can recall hearing about it at least 3-4 times locally the last few years. The worst was two years ago whan a dude in a Malibu backed right up and over one of his own crew in the water, chopping him up real good, killing him. Before anyone asks how this could happen, it doesn't matter, it did happen and that's all that counts.

As for the the key-vs-button arguement and the likelyhood of this or that; anyone remember hearing about the dog that managed to start the car and put it in gear ultimately crashing it? Stupid owner left the keys in the car and a perfect set of circumstances happened. If a dog can do it then I'll gaurantee a child can whether it be keyed, buttoned, in gear or out. Anyone out there have small kids? They ever get into the drivers seat and start playing around? What's one of the first things they grab? The throttle because it's right in their face, I know my grandsons do it, just sayin ...
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Ok so a disclaimer first, this is in no way negative comments to start arguements so keep that in mind.

However unlikely it seems, people do get run over or hit by the prop and it happens more than you think. I can recall hearing about it at least 3-4 times locally the last few years. The worst was two years ago whan a dude in a Malibu backed right up and over one of his own crew in the water, chopping him up real good, killing him. Before anyone asks how this could happen, it doesn't matter, it did happen and that's all that counts.
    point taken however this sounds like a completely different type of accident. someone was in control of the boat, they just didnt see the person back there, this has nothing to do with accidentally starting it and having it accidentally drive off, this boat was intentionally moving it sounds like
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

this would be a stupid mod for those with kids that frequent a boat. I have not had anyone under 14 on mine in 2 years so I would not have any issues doing this, but I'm not sure what the "true" benefit would be. keeping spare keys in the tow rig and perhaps one in the jockey box should prevent any lost/forgotten key issues.
    the argument could be made that I might have a kid on the boat in the future, but if you have a kid on my boat and they set foot in the drivers seat uninvited, both kid and parent that are not watching the kid are on the closest dock done for the day
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Ok, it appears to be personal opinion on whether or not a momentary push button (in OEM key spot) with a on/off toggle located under the drivers helm (somewhere/anywhere) materially increases the chances of a child starting the boat when he/she shouldn't.

My purpose for this mod is not one of function but more for appeal. The same as changing or stripping the graphics on the boat. I would thing it would fall into the catagory of cheap/quick mod.

Here are my questions/concerns if anyone has input/answers:

1. How would the wiring work? I know there are 3 wires OEM. I believe they are power, ground, start (to starter). I am unsure whether or not the momentary switches are two prong or three prong. Also, I'm assuming the toggle switch would be in line on the power wire? Or should it be the ground? Or both? For the toggle switch, I may consider even using the OEM key ignition, just hidden.

2. Does anyone happen to know the size of the factory ignition switches? Looks like there are several options when selecting buttons ... 16mm, 19mm, 22mm, etc.

3. Would a momentary button do start and stop?

4. My plan would be to leave the toggle in the on position throughout riding so there would be short periods where toggle is on. However, what if I forget to toggle off after stopping the boat? Is there any potential for battery drainage with the toggle switch on for hours and the boat not running? The only thing I can think of that comes on when the key is in the accessory position now is the dash (gauges and perfect pass). Am I missing more?

Also, If anyone randomly comes across a keypad type momentary button, post it up. I am having trouble finding it in a search. I think something similar to the ford door handle buttons would be more ideal than the nautique style. Not sure either would fit, though.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    2. Does anyone happen to know the size of the factory ignition switches? Looks like there are several options when selecting buttons ... 16mm, 19mm, 22mm, etc.
    I know that the 16mm are what I use to control my LED's, and they are rather small. About the size of a dime.

3. Would a momentary button do start and stop?
    No. The momentary will engage the starter when it is pushed to start the boat. Your 'on/off' switch will turn on the fuel pump, and thus be responsible for 'stopping' the engine.

4. My plan would be to leave the toggle in the on position throughout riding so there would be short periods where toggle is on. However, what if I forget to toggle off after stopping the boat? Is there any potential for battery drainage with the toggle switch on for hours and the boat not running? The only thing I can think of that comes on when the key is in the accessory position now is the dash (gauges and perfect pass). Am I missing more?
    To do this you will need that start module, to the best of my knowledge there is no way to get a button to do start and stop without some sort of switching module behind it. I have not seen a switch that has momentary as well as latching, smart enough to know that 1 press is on, 2 presses is off, with momentary inbetween only on press 1.

By just removing the ignition switch and replacing it with a toggle and momentary push button, the process would be: Start: flip toggle on, push momentary to start. Stop: Flip toggle off.
    2013 Outback V