Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post
    KG how is the model# confusing? (shakes head). 500W buddy. Full power at 2 ohms. 500W. Maybe I missed something there, but its pretty straight forward.
    Perhaps in this case straight forward is relative. I've replaced enough equipment to know where I want to be in the quality spectrum so when I search/spec amps my search is narrow ... jl, exile, wetsounds, alpine is about it. A quick scroll through sonix electronic, though, showed me many other brands name their amps in a similar manner to Exile.

In this scenario, an Exile 500.1 I would think is going to give me 500 watts to 1 channel (without consideration of ohm load), just the same as the JL 500/1 and the Alpine I have in my boat do. You don't have to "ohm down" to get the numer in the name of the amp.

Outside of this scenario, where it came to my attention, was when I was looking at tower speakers. Harpoon (1000.2) to 4 xm9's is 1000 watts (250x4). Let's step it up and "go big" with dual amps ... 2 Harpoons to 4 xm9's, that gives me 1200 watts (300x2 x 2 amps). The math was frustrating, I got 200 more watts coming from the tower for a perceived 1,000 watt amp added.

What I did not realize prior to my google search is others rate the same way (so my statement goes across most brands, it can be confusing when looking at amp specs, not just exile specs). I did, however, know that real cheap amps will name/rate at max power opposed to continuous power, just didn't realize there was another tier so to speak where amps are named at lowest ohm load opposed to "expected" ohm load or regardless of ohm load.

In summary, if I was quickly comparing amps I would be mislead thinking the 500.1 would give me 500 watts. That is due to what I'd compare it to.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

KG - No problem. After 25 years or so in the biz, I've seen every model# known to man. usually it all relates back to power at some point. but 2 ohm, 4 ohm 1.5 ohm para / series - holy hell! Ya it can get confusing.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Thats what I thought, just wanted to make sure. If you wire a single Type-R in parallel, you will net a 2 ohm load. This will get you 500W rms from the exile. This should be spot on for the Alpine. With this sub radiating directly out into the main area with 500W will be a very respectable setup. If you wanted to down the road, add another 500W amp (or swap the 500W exile for a 1000W @ 1 or 4 ohm) and add the 2nd Alpine. Although it would be in a locker, it will be a boat shaker and the primary sub will contribute the most musically.

The bow pair will each be on their own chnl (1 and 2), so each will receive the 120W @ 4 ohm. The port side main cabin pair will be wired in parallel on chnl 3 and will divide the 160W @ 2 ohm power, so each speaker receives 80W. Same for the starboard main cabin pair wired on chnl 4. Once both halves of the amp are setup correctly, you can then reduce the gain on the bow pair to balance them with the main cabin if needed.
    May just hold onto the 12 then until I sell a few items to get an amp more suitable for its power requirements. Why in the world does that one require so much power anyway??

Thanks MLA. Love your insight on here!
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post
    I always enjoy threads like this.... fun to see whats up in the real world.

here's what I'd do:

Tower - seems like a slam dunk. SXT's off the harpoon will jam.
    Cabin - seems like a slam dunk too. Polks off the kicker will rock.

Sub I think you got a couple of choices.

1) Do a sealed enclosure for the 2 10's and run them off the exile amp and mtx amp. 1 amp per sub. Is it ideal power? no not really but who cares, your amps are free. You could always come back later and properly power the 1ohm load with another amp. but thats on the spend money plan.

2) run 1 10 as MLA discussed off the exile 500.1. KG how is the model# confusing? (shakes head). 500W buddy. Full power at 2 ohms. 500W. Maybe I missed something there, but its pretty straight forward.

3) Run the RF 12" sub off the Exile 500W. The RF sub is 800W and 2ohm configured. The Exile amp is 500W@2ohm. seems like a pretty good fit. Underpowered? sure a bit. within the range? absolutely.

In my opinion #3 would be best. I'm always an advocate for putting a 12 in the boat.
    I really like the idea of having a 12 as well, but from everything I read that sucker takes some power to run right! Not sure if RF is known for that, but it seems higher than other 12s I looked at.
    Thanks for your insight as well Brian....

While I am at it, thank all of you in this thread!
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Mono subwoofer amps tend to be the cheapest for their power ratings, i would be willing to bet you could find something between 800-1000 watts to power the RF 12 for around $200. Just make sure it is CEA-2006 compliant so you are gettin the power that is advertised.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Mark,

My concern for you on the RF is the size of the box you will have to construct ( huge) with the limited space of your hull.
    I have and exile 12 require 600w rms and 1200 peak with 420 watts ( underpowered but sounds greats)

since you have the exile 500 and a boxed up alpine R why not try it and see what you have and how it sounds. instead of building a custom box and a new amp.

my .02
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    May just hold onto the 12 then until I sell a few items to get an amp more suitable for its power requirements. Why in the world does that one require so much power anyway??

Thanks MLA. Love your insight on here!
    That sub has a huge motor and a lot of excursion. Its gonna take a lot of power to drive it effectively and control its movement. You could drive it with less power, but nearly to its potential. If you think this sub is a keeper and a proper amp is in the future, then I would consider going with it powered by the Exile 500.1 for now and plan for the amp upgrade later. unloading the MTX and the 2 Alpines would take a chunk out of the cost of the more powerful amp.

In our 2010 LSV I took out the stock kicker in the foot area, made a false plate to go over it as I like to stretch my legs out while driving and putting another sub in that area was not an option.

Last year I bought 2 low end JL 10WX on sale for cheap, built a small sealed box and stuffed it under the seat behind the drivers seat. It worked ok but lost alot of output because there was no way to get the sound out.

This year I decided to chop the box in half and stuff it in front of the OEM sub location, firing under the front seat. I was only using 1 10 and the way the sub was positioned gave it a nice loading effect and I was really surprised by the output. Easily louder than the OEM Kicker 12 and way more than the 2 10's under the rear seat.