Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hey Moomba, did you get my voicemail? That measurement you were looking for on the back rail was 41 ¾” front bottom bolt hole to back bottom bolt hole. I was worried I may have left the voicemail on someone elses voicemail so thought I'd post it here just incase I got #'s mixed up Plese let me know if you have any other questions!

Cody
    '05 Supra Launch 24SSV

Quote Originally Posted by moomba wannabe View Post
    Probably got my work cut out for me trying to utilize my existing holes, huh? I take it you like your Big Air tower?
    I don't have a big air tower and have never dealt with them. I just know how long it takes to get this stuff done and it's going to be 80 this weekend. I would also be persistent but at some point if the road your on isn't taking you where you are going you have to consider alternate routes.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Cody I did get your message (you had the right #!) and I also did talk to Anthony at Skiers Choice who confirmed my boat was ordered with a tower. Again, thanks for your help. You were very helpful and I appreciate it.

Anthony said I would have to go through a dealer to get the tower, that there were no blems available, and that they were changing the Outback tower for future models. I believe Cody also mentioned to me some future changes in the tower. I called a dealer again just to make sure I remembered correctly, and I did, $3100 +tax/shipping for the OEM tower. So I can get it if I want to pay for it; I dont, its not worth that much to me when there are many cheaper alternatives. So, I give up. I dont think persistence will get me anywhere else; it is what it is.

So my back-up plan is to identify a few universal aftermarkets I like (I want to stay with the basic swoop design) with a variable stance which my existing outermost mounting points fall within, and will match. If that becomes a hassle I'll just fill the holes and start over. I'm going to have to fill some of the holes anyway; I just hate putting even more holes into something.

I know theres a ton of opinions on towers so I'm not neccessarily going to ask for recommendations, but I am interested in anybody with a negative experience or a brand to avoid (though I do appreciate the positive recommendations as well). Also, my thought was to stick striclty with aluminum vs. steel for the weight advantage?
    2005 Outback DD

Well heres something I didnt put much thought into; in checking with two companies both indicate the stance is not a problem, but that their hole patterns on their mounts are different so would require new holes anyway.....
    2005 Outback DD

One thing to think about even if you get a factory tower you still may have to drill or tweek the existing holes. None of the towers are going to be exactly the same. I believe the holes for the towers are drilled after the towers are set in place to make sure the holes in the boat are exact. I noticed when I was going to run new wires for my light bar the wire would not go thru the existing hole for the stationery light. So I thought I would have to make the hole larger but when I removed that portion of the tower to make the hole larger, well the hole was large enough, but they missed were the hole needed to be. The worst part they didn't miss once but twice. So I actually had to drill a hole in between the two existing holes to correctly match the hole in the tower. I believe the wire hole was a preset spot before the tower was set in place and it did not match were the tower was suppose to set, so they tried to correct but missed a second time and just fudge by setting the tower on top of the wire. I believe the tower mounting holes are going to very form tower to tower even if they are the same style and brand.
    Patrick
    '08 Mobius LS. 4 Blade OJ 13x13 Prop.
    Kenwood KMR440U & RC107MR, T600-2 Rockford Fosgate powering 2 Liquid Acoustics 8" HLCD, Kicker SKM10 subwoofer
    5 light- light bar.
    2015 RAM 3500HD Dually 6.7 Diesel w/ Aisin 6 speed tranny
    Live life today!

Your exactly right, I've learned that as well through all this. Cody explained every tower could have slightly different mounting holes location because of the variance in how one tower cools from the next after its removed from the jig. So yea, I could go to alot of trouble and expense getting a factory tower and still have it not match up to the existing holes. I hadnt realized that when I started all this. So, I'm leaning more towards a universal because they should tend to have a little play when mounting.
    2005 Outback DD

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I don't have a big air tower and have never dealt with them. I just know how long it takes to get this stuff done and it's going to be 80 this weekend. I would also be persistent but at some point if the road your on isn't taking you where you are going you have to consider alternate routes.
    I had a H2O Big Air Tower on my last boat. It fit and looked very nice and was extremely strong. We all slalom skied, along with wakeboard, off the tower. Theres a couple of pics in my album of the boat with the tower on it. Big Air was very good to work with. I had a problem with 2 off the rear tubes not being long enough and they shipped me new tubes quickly. The instructions were straight foward and the tower came with drill bits for drilling thru the tower were needed. I was extremely pleased with it and a believed it help me get a couple more thousand when I sold my Dixie boat. But you really need to consider what tower is going to look best with your boat shape. Try to find pics of different towers with boats that are simular shape to yours before you pull the trigger.
    Patrick
    '08 Mobius LS. 4 Blade OJ 13x13 Prop.
    Kenwood KMR440U & RC107MR, T600-2 Rockford Fosgate powering 2 Liquid Acoustics 8" HLCD, Kicker SKM10 subwoofer
    5 light- light bar.
    2015 RAM 3500HD Dually 6.7 Diesel w/ Aisin 6 speed tranny
    Live life today!

For what it's worth, we purchased a used 2007 Outback last spring without a tower. I wanted to use the backing blocks that were already installed from the factory so we went with the Monster Tower universal tower and have been very pleased. I like the way it folds into the rear of the boat and it allows me to mount the barefoot boom stright out.

https://forum.moomba.com/album.php?a...pictureid=3467

https://forum.moomba.com/album.php?a...pictureid=3468
    Last edited by MNKid; 03-19-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Hey MNKid - That's a beautiful boat you have there!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    Hey MNKid - That's a beautiful boat you have there!
    It sure is, isn't it!