Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    Here is everything you need to know about docking.

https://youtu.be/9qHdPhkSSNQ
    I always laugh at that video. Good stuff
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Default I demoed a Max today

Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    Again, thanks for the tips and info Larry. It is much appreciated.

I ran across this young man's videos and a lot of this makes sense and I understand the concept. Docking vid https://youtu.be/3a1JCBl5G38 and this one https://youtu.be/amC4io8tFdM. At around the 6:25 mark he talks about reversing more and mentions 'hooking the rudder' to make it swing opposite of the natural prop rotation. I'm going to try this stuff with a fender floating on the water in a cove to help so I'm not learning the hard way by a dock the first time lol. I'm sure I'll adapt just fine after a little seat time. Like anything practice makes perfect.

BTW I spoke with the salesman and I got the trailer in black ....again . He said he will make the change on Tuesday.
    These videos are opposite of how our V drives rotate. Ours pull the transom to starboard in reverse, this guys boat in the video pull to port in reverse.

This is more accurate as the Tige drivetrains are the same. That said, 45 degree approach at a boat launch is almost impossible and I have never been able to get the transom to pull that hard starboard without the bow rotating to port.

Again 10-15 deg approach then reverse to pull transom starboard is my go to move at the dock.

https://youtu.be/MS_2fRsHZFo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 02-17-2019 at 10:53 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

best advice I received as an owner that bought a supra launch as my first boat ever......

don't be in a hurry to dock and go slow- similar to txsurf's advice. if you go slow to the dock you have plenty of time to make adjustments. guys that come up hot and think they have control 50 yards from the dock are the guys slamming the boat into reverse to stop and hoping it doesn't hit.

oh ya, and don't be that guy that buys a brand new boat and tries to launch it the first time on the warmest saturday morning of the year so far with no help from friends/family. seen that happen many times and it never has a happy ending for the family.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    best advice I received as an owner that bought a supra launch as my first boat ever......

don't be in a hurry to dock and go slow- similar to txsurf's advice. if you go slow to the dock you have plenty of time to make adjustments. guys that come up hot and think they have control 50 yards from the dock are the guys slamming the boat into reverse to stop and hoping it doesn't hit.

oh ya, and don't be that guy that buys a brand new boat and tries to launch it the first time on the warmest saturday morning of the year so far with no help from friends/family. seen that happen many times and it never has a happy ending for the family.
    Cmon, that GUY is entertaining.........

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

At low (idle) speeds be sure to start turning the rudder well before you expect the boat to turn. The max is a big pig with a tiny rudder and took me a bit to get used to coming from a little outback v (with the same size rudder lol). You’ll get used to it in no time and be docking like a pro!
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    As a first time boat/wakeboat owner, I've had this nightmare already.

I plan to take all of the break-in time to familiarize myself. Early/mid-April here in Ohio is 50-60F at best, hopefully I'm out there alone with room to figure it out!
    --
    2019 Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0520 View Post
    As a first time boat/wakeboat owner, I've had this nightmare already.

I plan to take all of the break-in time to familiarize myself. Early/mid-April here in Ohio, hopefully things will be dead and I can take my time to figure stuff out.
    You will be fine.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Another tip that helps....pull the bimini top in and boot it up, especially on windy days. That is a giant sail that catches a lot of wind so until you get used to slow speed maneuvering and control, pull that top down.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Prospersigman View Post
    Another tip that helps....pull the bimini top in and boot it up, especially on windy days. That is a giant sail that catches a lot of wind so until you get used to slow speed maneuvering and control, pull that top down.
    Great tip, makes a huge difference. I made that mistake ONCE and lost it pretty close to the dock and did an unplanned 180 but saved it.

Quick gust and all of a sudden the wrong direction, equivalent of black ice lol

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Prospersigman View Post
    Yes I know all about this lol!! My current jet boat is very lightweight compared to a v drive, very shallow draft and has no running gear to help under the water. On a windy day the bimini is practically a peachier and will make the boat drift.

As for being “that guy” on a summer day I should hopefully have several launches and retrieved under my belt by then if I get my boat in the spring. I should hopefully have got the hang of it by then and before summer hits. This isn’t my first time so I understand how annoying it is to be held up by someone taking their sweet time at the ramp on a busy day. The worst is the guy who loads his boat at the water while on the trailer lol!! Our lake has more than it’s fair share of those guys. My biggest pet peace is going to the lake only to find out there’s a fishing tournament at the ramp. Talk about chaos!!!

Thanks everyone for your tips! Much appreciated
    Last edited by haknslash; 02-18-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold