Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Moombas and turning

I have a new '08 XLV, only had it on the water 5 times so far, and I've noticed that during aggressive turns (not talking about some crazy Sea World boat exhibition turns) there is alot of spray that gets in the boat and the boat does lean alot. I was not expecting this in this type of boat. When I say spray, I mean when I'm driving I get sprayed in the turn not just the rear seats.

That only happens to me (2005 XLV) when there is a breeze. The boat kicks up some spray and the boat, if downwind, gets the blowback.

You Da Man you bored or something?

All inboards are susceptible, not just your Moomba. Some in fact are far worse but in many ways it's also the hull, the design that keeps it stable and creates those nice wakes also kicks up a bit of spray.

That is the reason ski boats and into the earlier wakeboat years had large spray pockets at the rear of the hull to keep it down. It was found however that those large deep pockets also messed up the wake or prevented it's firmness, and recently surfing too. And while the gunwales on your XLV may seem deep they are nowhere near the deepness of an I/O which rarely if at sees this issue as their deep V hull designs pretty much eliminate it.

It's the nature of the beast and one little sacrafice for the sport(s) we all love.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Btw, I have done a few crazy Sea World boat exhibition turns and it was quite exhilirating! Wife didn't care much for them though

Seriously, the salesman we bought from exhibited it to us on the test drive to show just how solid & stable the hull is. If you've never done a full lock, full throttle power turn on glass in your LSV then you have no idea what your missing! Once or twice was enough though!
    2007 Mobius LSV

I used to do those in my outback ls at 45 mph..........are you holding on?.....no i mean are you really holding on.......It was a good way to show how these boats handle when you sell it 10 years later
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I love to do those Top End turns at WOT in my outback. It's exhilerating Especially when you have newbies in the boat and you tell them to (as you put it) REALLY hang on............

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I haven't done a full lock turn...seems kinda scary but I am itching to try one.

On my first boat, I always ended the day doing a power turn. After 3 yrs, I had a broken rudder box (the thing that attaches to the hull and holds the rudder pin up and allows the rudder to rotate via the steering cable). It was made of Nibral, so I had it rebrazed. It broke again and had a machine shop make a new one out of Stainless. No more problems. Now, I only occasionally do a power turn (2-5 a year).
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Unhappy

i could see that happening max, it is stressing quite abit on those. I suppose they shouldn't be a regular event or now we know what may happen . thanx for the insight....its all fun and games till something breaks.... i prob did mine a total of about 30x over 10 years
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I think its a necessary thing to do a few times, you really need to know the bounds of what your boat can do. I mean its more an emergency maneuver, but you don't want your first time you do it as the same time your avoiding some boater getting to close, or as in our case we tend to only have that issue when we have a boarder in the water and something is cruising at them with a boat.

Ive herd though its very bad to do power turns when say the boat is loaded down with heavy ballast, the stresses it puts on the boat can cause cracks, also its one of the reason the gap in the windshield gets bigger over time. The gap as in the walk threw section.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]