Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Lovers

thats chewbackas offspring
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Sled491 Guest

Ya really

I tell a story to the kids around the campfire: "The Legend of Wolfboy". I think I just found his heir.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

THe main thing we have found is that our dogs are not super graceful or cautious when getting into the boat from the water which is where the lif jacket really pays off, the have a handle and u can just pull your dog up out of the water and they down scratch up the swim platform.

We just got a new puppy. Hes a Black Lab Retriever. Name is Osito < little bear> We took him on the boat the first time last Sunday and he liked it as fare as we can tell. He just laid there sleeping all day LOL. Laid on the sun deck and snored lol.

Hes almost 3 months old, we are potty training him right now. He seems to like water, i put him in the water behind the boat and he dog paddeled like he should.

We have a vest on him as well because we weren't sure how he would react.

My question is i hope he will get to the point that he will swim and jump in on command to fetch things and such or just play.

Is there a good way to teach a dog to be comfortable in the water? Or does this come naturally with warmer water? The water was pretty cold Sunday so im wondering if it was just a lot colder then he liked.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mike for a retriever (any of them) water is second nature, don't worry pretty soon you won't be able to keep him out of it! My brother-in-law has a 12 year old black lab and the first thing out the back door everyday is straight into the pool!
    2007 Mobius LSV

mmandley I have a 3 yr old black lab who is the biggest chicken I have ever met, but hte more time I spent with him around water and in it the more he likes it. Now when I take him for runs he has to be on leash or he will jump in the pond we run by even in the middle of winter when the ice is open!! Your dog will take to it with time!
    Old Boat: 07 Moomba Outback

New Boat: Malibu vRide........and surf boards!!!

Sled491 Guest

Cold, warm it doesn't matter. My springer will head into the water any chance he can get. I used to have a sheppard that would sneak into the water when I was trolling at night and swim behind the boat for hours.

Yeah I agree, cold or warm it really doesnt matter. Just has to do with them getting comfortable and being around the water for a bit. My old Boxer would swim in the creek up in the mountains with snow on the ground, didnt care at all. My AB Frank wont swim at all because he cant, but loves the water and will go in chest deep and play with the kids or whatever and he also loves the boat.

Little Franky the day we got him

And Frank last year at 8 months

He loves his Moomba lol
    06 Outback V

Sled491 Guest

Love that last pic, kinda of saying "This is my boat" !!