Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailering help and info needed, just moved boat from marina to storage

I have a single axle Boat Mate trailer for my used 2,500 lb. Outback. The tires say 50 psi cold for max 1,760 lbs. My boat weighs more than that. Can I divide the boat weight by two? Do I need higher rated tires? The last thing I want is to not be able to get my boat to the lake, which is 3 miles away. I loved the convenience of the marina putting my boat in but I wanted better access to my it for tinkering, etc. Oh, and does 50 psi mean with the boat on the trailer? I figure the weight of the boat adds psi, right?

Did my first trailering home today. Felt real good to be in control of my boat. I love my boat! And I don't want anything bad to happen to it. So any advice on trailing is welcome. Do I need to lube anything? Okay to leave the lights plugged in when I back it into the water?

Newby here. Thanks.
    2001 Moomba Outback, Indmar Assault 325 + 4BBL Holley

hey gray,
    welcome to the life of trailering! you are correct on the tire capacity, figure total trailer loaded, including trailer, boat, gear, etc divided by number of tires, that is your tire rating. or 1750*2=3400lbs, looks good to go!

i never worry about unplugging trailer lights when load/unload.

on the trailer, check the brakes, are the hubs sealed? if not then you need to grease/pack etc. the bearings

Your tires are fine for your trailer and boat weight, no need to change them. Tire pressure is a MAX of 50 psi, you can run less probably around 40-42. Pressure in the tire is the same regardless of the weight (with or without the boat on the trailer). The boat does not add pressure to the tires. Pressure should be measured when the tire is cold, before towing not after towing.

Yes, you can and should leave the lights hooked up. The reverse light on your tow vehicle sends a signal to block the trailer brakes while backing.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Thanks guys, great info! Exactly what I was looking for. Was worried about my vehicle towing out of the lake (steep hill) but no prob in 4wd. I backed the trailer in to water within one inch of the top of the wheel well. Thinking I may need to go a little further into the water. Had to give some power to get the boat close to the winch. Would rather float off the trailer than horsepower it off.
    2001 Moomba Outback, Indmar Assault 325 + 4BBL Holley

While the trailer lights are supposed to be sealed so that you can leave them hooked up while launching and loading, I like to assume that there will be a day when that stops being true... say, when you are exhausted and really have to drive home after dark. If the lights short out and you do not have a spare fuse, you have no running lights at all.

I unhook the lights before the trailer goes in the water. If I have to back it up very far in a spot where the surge brakes might activate, I just engage the manual brake lockout. If you don't want to do that, please make sure that you have a spare fuse for your running lights.

I agree with Ian, disconnect the lights, the sooner the better as hot lights don't like cold water and water can short things. As far as tire inflation I run at 46 - 50 lbs cold pressure...tires heat up when they are under inflated and can blow...well documented....and i have happened. The nice thing tho is these trailers do run well on the highways. as far as lubing, not sure if ya have the new lube free bearings or the old style, i always use at least bearing buddies as they keep the grease under pressure and always make sure there fully grease after unloading the boat in water, thats when water is more apt to enter the inner bearings. Ya i like living in a perfect world
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by graybmg View Post
    Thanks guys, great info! Exactly what I was looking for. Was worried about my vehicle towing out of the lake (steep hill) but no prob in 4wd. I backed the trailer in to water within one inch of the top of the wheel well. Thinking I may need to go a little further into the water. Had to give some power to get the boat close to the winch. Would rather float off the trailer than horsepower it off.
    A little power off the trailer is alright. It breaks the dry seal the boat makes with the trailer. I never float off. Once you break the dry seal the prop will clear the trailer and you will not have to worry about it hitting the trailer. When you are loading the boat onto the trailer and you decide to float the boat onto the trailer you might end up on one side of the trailer or another and not right in the center.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

You need to weigh the boat and trailer as the combined weight is at least 3,500 pounds. I use those same tires and that is what came with the boat. The only margin for the weight is the safety factor built into the tires. The single axle trailer requires quality tires and checking them for weathering. I assume the tires have been changed on your 2001 trailer otherwise you will be seeing weather checking and tread seperation with a nine year old tire. Keep the pressure at 50 psi as you are at the maximum weight limit. I have never disconnected the trailer lights while at the launch.
    Last edited by zabooda; 01-17-2010 at 04:09 AM.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Just for the record i've never unplugged the lights on any of my trailers and never had any bulbs blow. And for those with disc brakes if you unplug the harness you loose the back-up solenoid and without the brake lockout key or a nickel inserted you might not be able to back up. Keep that in mind.
    2007 Mobius LSV

And for those worried about their lights, there's a seller on ebay that sells LED replacements for around $44 a pair. I bought and installed them on my last trailer for increased visibility and they are real nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Mobius LSV