Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you want to remove the pole go ahead. I prefer to ski from it. But for many who don't ski, or the limited amount they do, the rear tow eye is fine. We have skied off the tower before as well. I don't think that an occasonal skier on combos is any more drag than a heavy wake boarder.

Keep the moomba I would never recomend changing boat just cuz you don't ski.

Let see how it looks and how you like it with out the pole. What are you going to put in the hole? Anything?

Thanks

There should only be 4-5 bolts/nuts holding it in on your boat. The pole is wedge between two brackets that are connected to the stringers. Some poles have are centered from the bottom in a manner that means the pole will only move upward once the bolts are removed/loosened.
    The difficulty it getting to those bolts. I had a MasterCraft that had a loose pole when I bought it, it was very easy to staighten and tighten, just hard to get to the bolts.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by yearround View Post
    If you want to remove the pole go ahead. I prefer to ski from it. But for many who don't ski, or the limited amount they do, the rear tow eye is fine. We have skied off the tower before as well. I don't think that an occasonal skier on combos is any more drag than a heavy wake boarder.

Keep the moomba I would never recomend changing boat just cuz you don't ski.

Let see how it looks and how you like it with out the pole. What are you going to put in the hole? Anything?

Thanks
    You must have Missunderstood me! I didn't say "get rid of the Moomba". Let me clarify! Look at something like and LSV or Outback V and stay in the SC family................

Actually, everybody has their own oppinion and each family has their own needs. Pole or no pole - you can always re-install it at a later time.

You could always check out the thread here about BBQ's on boats. Hey - maybe somebody could rig up a new fandangled BBQ and patent it for the DD

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by polar21 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has ever removed the ski pole in front of the motor on direct drive boats? If so, a couple of questions:

1. Any steps/input on how to remove it? I looked at the base and it appears that the base would stay in place, and the actual pole is held in position by 4 screws, almost like how you would mount a Christmas tree. On the bolts (they have a square head) there is a nut that appears to be a lock nut type of set up. Do I remove the bolt via the square head or do I loosen the nut or a combo of both?

2. When the pole is removed, what did you put in place of the hole in the floor? On my boat, the carpet is cut into a star pattern, so with the pole removed, i can pull the carpet back up to cover the whole, although I am going to need something underneath for support.

Any input is appreciated.

-DJ
    You might look into getting a small peace of aluminum and cut it to fit that hole. Then drill a small whole in it and with a string or something threw it, this would act as a handle. Then put 3m tape on the top of it so the carpet stays in place. Then if you decide to replace the pole pop it out and install the pole again. If not then nothing to stub a toe on and it will look like a factory ski pole hole filler plate.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

After reading some of these responses you would think I would have typed "is it a good idea to go and slap the mother-in-law?" LOL If it was a difficult job that was irreversible, I wouldnt do it. However, like I said, it appears (as it has been described here) that the pole is inserted into the bracket that is tied into the stringers. So, if I remove the pole, the bracket and support structure will still be there so it can easily be reinstalled.

As for the people suggesting that I get a more specific boat for my needs......its always easier spending someone else's money. haha

Thanks for the replies, at least its been a good read.

Polar, as an avid skier my preference is the pole. I understand why you might want to remove it. I would never change boats thought. Like you said its easy to spend other peoples money.

Like stated, you something flat to cover the hole. Maybe you could use something like the right diameter pipe glued to something flat to cover your hole. The pipe would keep if from sliding around. Don't use something to thick other wise you may stub you toes. It really depends on what materials you are comfortable working with or have tool for such as plastic, wood, or aluminum.

For a finishing touch, cover with carpet for a completed look. I like the idea to a string pull to pick up or just a small finger hole would work to. If you do remove, take some pictures. Before and After. It would give the rest of us nay sayers an idea what it looks like without the pole.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

However, like I said, it appears (as it has been described here) that the pole is inserted into the bracket that is tied into the stringers. So, if I remove the pole, the bracket and support structure will still be there so it can easily be reinstalled.
    The brackets between the stringers will stay (unless you unbolt them from the stringers {not recommended}) in place. There may be a few bolts (probably U-bolts) and nuts that will need to be removed. Keep them in the same place as the pole.

As other have said, you may want to cover the hole. I would try to find a small pipe (PVC or galvanized) and cut it to size. Put it in the hole where the ski pole goes. Cut is 1/2" shorter than you need, glue a top (wood or kitchen cutting board) on it so that it is flush to the carpet/floor height, and then bolt it in like the ski pole. It would be fast, cheap and easy to do. No need for strings or such. Let me know if you need a hand.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Default question

Just wondering if anyone has ever removed the ski pole in front of the motor on direct drive boats? If so, a couple of questions:

1. Any steps/input on how to remove it? I looked at the base and it appears that the base would stay in place, and the actual pole is held in position by 4 screws, almost like how you would mount a Christmas tree. On the bolts (they have a square head) there is a nut that appears to be a lock nut type of set up. Do I remove the bolt via the square head or do I loosen the nut or a combo of both?

2. When the pole is removed, what did you put in place of the hole in the floor? On my boat, the carpet is cut into a star pattern, so with the pole removed, i can pull the carpet back up to cover the whole, although I am going to need something underneath for support.

Any input is appreciated.

-DJ
    The one question no one asked, is why would you want to remove it? I think maxpower has given you the right way to remove it and yea it can be added back easily enough, and it is your boat, so knock yourself out.....

I would still like to know why?

If it wasn't for my barefoot boom, I don't need mine either but I never thought about taking one out.
    It is better barefoot!