Hybrid View

Default Excess Water Intake

I have been getting quite a bit of water into the bottom of my boat (5-6 inches) soon after I either first put the boat in the water or after I bilge it out on the lake. I am a new boat owner and was wondering how much water intake is normal if any? Also if not how can I go about fixing it. The plug is secure and there is no air bubbles surrounding it, so I have no reason to believe that it is entering via the drain plug. Where else should I look for intake and how? Suggestion or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joe

Default Replying to Topic 'Excess Water Intake'

The first thing that comes to mind is the fat sacks. There could be a leak that you do not know about and if so the water could be coming from there.
    Luke Smith
    1610 N 17th St
    Boise,ID 83702

The first thing that comes to mind is the fat sacks. There could be a leak that you do not know about and if so the water could be coming from there.
    Luke Smith
    1610 N 17th St
    Boise,ID 83702

What year and model of boat? You should check the gland ( packing )nut , thats where the shaft goes thru the hull. If its a older boat you might need to replace the packing or just tighten the nut. If you're boat is a direct drive you need to remove the engine cover and the rear floor section to access it.

Larry

I bought a new 2003 Outback LS last year.I noticed I was taking on a-lot of water.Whoever tightened the clamps on the end of the mufflers must of overtightened them and cracked both mufflers.The dealer replaced them both and no more water.
    jy

My boat is a 99' so it prpobablt has a loose nut of corroded packing. After I remove the engine cover and rear section what exactlty am I looking for? Obviously, I am looking to see if thge packing has gone bad, but how? And if so am I replacing with new stuff?

Thanks very much you r replys have been extremely imformative and helpful,

Joe

Checking the packing will be easiest with the boat in the water. You won't be able to see the packing. It will be inside the sleeve where the prop shaft goes throught the hull. You should get a drip of water every 10 to 20 seconds coming in by the shaft. You can tighten the nut that holds the packing in, but if you have to do much more than hand tighten it, it means the packing is probably bad. Don't torque it down with a wrench to cure the problem or you'll end up ruining your prop shaft. If that ends up being the problem, it doesn't take much to repack it. The packing is usually cloth/flax type material in short strips that is wrapped around the shaft. Check with your dealer to get the correct size/type of packing or just have them do it if you're uncomfortable with it. You might want to check the rudder as well for a source of water intake.

hi , do you have the bertha ballast system?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug