Thread: Dilemma

Default Dilemma

Alright guys, For those of you that bought the Fusion Pheonix series Tower Speakers when they had that blowout sell a while back and all you other guys that wanna chime in. They say these pods can take 275 rms, but I'm a little leary of blowing em. I'm thinking of getting the Kicker zx550.2 and just leaving the gain down. Or should I get the Kicker zx450.2 and turn the gain up till they clip? I'm a newbie so go easy on me.

Chad

My personal preference is go bigger and keep the gain down so your not pushing the amp as hard.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I have the t-series which are the the same speakers as the p series. I have a Punch 500.2 running to them. which is 250w rms @ 2ohms. And the combo's are 2ohm. They sound really good but be careful to keep any bass turned down on them or you will fry them.
    Razz is right, its always good to have a little more and turn it down than to have not enough and push it too much and cook them because you didn't have enough clean watts.

PWI as usual...

Hydro

these guys have steered you right. best advice is to get the bigger amplifier and not get gain happy. Having an amplifier running at its max output will clip and compress the audio output to the point that it will cook the speakers.

On the other hand, having speakers see double their rated power will also destroy them as well. However, many people dont understand that speakers can benefit from increased power output without clips and compression. They can reproduce tones beyond their rated power briefly and thats what people enjoy as dynamic range.

So go slow, take the time to set up your system and keep the gains down and eliminate the smiley faced EQ's. Let us know how it works out and if you need help tuning the system.... come back here.

It's all good.

Thanks for the input everyone, really made my decision easy. Long live the Moomba Boards

C