Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Modifying my Fusion tower speakers *pics*

After taking out the thousands of allen head bolts holding these things together, I took the face frames in to be powder coated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The 5 1/4" coax speakers and 6 1/2" components are wired in parallel from the factory. This means the coax speakers will begin to distort long before the components reach their full potential. I used Speakon 4-pole connectors and rewired the cans so that each speaker can be amped separately.

In order to make the new speakon connectors fit I had to make a bigger hole in the can. I thought I could just use my dremel, but the metal is soft and clogged the grinding wheel immediately. So I treated it like floor tile and scored it with a jigsaw and snapped off the "teeth" leaving very little to grind.
    Last edited by brain_rinse; 12-20-2009 at 11:15 PM.

Next steps will be installing a 4x100 RMS amp and pulling new wires through the tower to get 4 wires to each side. I'll report back on the improvement in sound... I expect it to be fairly dramatic with the components able to get full power.

Nice work! I've got those same towers. Will be interesting to hear the results from changing up the set up. Good luck.

Will you keep the tweeter on the 5 1/4?
    Sold my Moomba. Currently boat whoring.

Set Ups - 09 CWB Transcend Platinum w/ 09 Ronix Cells (his) and 08 Liquid Force Angel w/ 08 Alloys (hers)

Thanks, Jeff! Yes, I will be keeping the tweeters on the 5 1/4" coax.

Very nice work man. I bet a lot of guys will follow your steps here that bought those same Fusions last summer.

I like the Black bezel too really adds class to the looks of them. Are you going to use the 4 wire pre loom that the stereo shops are using?

Its a soild wire, not strands and it pre encased as a 4 wire system. My sub had it when i bought the boat, i was going to use it for my towers but its a bit pricey, plus i had a bunch of monster 14gauge laying in the tool box.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thanks! I like the black much better too... too many different colors of silver on my boat before. If anyone does go down this route make sure to get the frames media blasted or at least stripped/sanded before powder coating. There is a lacquer coating that doesn't take well to the heat of the oven.

As for wiring, I was planning to go with this but could be talked out of it if someone has a better idea. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
    It's more than twice as much as I'll need, so if anyone wants to split the roll with me just send me a PM.

Yes thats exactly the wire i was thinking of Brian i just didnt know what it was called.

Realy good stuff as i understand because the solid strand can take a bit more wattage for the towers. Is realy easy to push threw the tower also. With all 4 wires its rigid enough to run with out a pre fish wire.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Update: this project is complete. I got an Alpine PDX-4.100 to run these speakers because it delivers full power at 4 ohms. It's conservatively rated at 100 RMS x 4 which is plenty to push these speakers hard. It's also Class D with a very small footprint.

The sound is much cleaner now that I can set the crossover points and gains separately! These are very bright speakers and are a little harsh if you are on the sun pad with them cranked, but as you move back the sound smooths out nicely. Next step is installing an EQ to control tower and cabin speakers independently!